Google IO a damp squib ?

Comments

• whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kidspud wrote: »
    Why do you think it needs to be released this year. I said phones on sale.

It was the galaxy ace 2, the very phone next to me right now.

Because we are talking about now? :confused:
  • Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why do you think it needs to be released this year. I said phones on sale.

It was the galaxy ace 2, the very phone next to me right now.

Because I was talking about now....besides, the Galaxy Ace 2 is slated for upgrade to Jelly Bean anyway, and if the average consumer is "not clued up" as some people have been suggesting, then I doubt it would even matter. The point is, there is no device solely running Gingerbread available, the base is ICS, which is fine as 4.x devices do not have compatibility issues with apps, which was my whole point.
  • Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    Google are too busy trying hide the fact they have allegedly scammed the UK out of 100's of millions in tax to worry about promoting Android. Anyone watch the Google Vice President squirming on Sky news?

I wonder if Android will face a public back lash like Starbucks did and people start to boycott it. Due to the fact they have potentially cost the UK 100's of jobs.

Utter rubbish. Margaret Hodge made a right idiot of herself at the PAC. Those hearings are not intended for talentless loudmouthed politicians to make unfounded allegations couched in absurdly dramatic language yet that's exactly what she did.
  • kidspudkidspud Posts: 18,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Because we are talking about now? :confused:
    Zack06 wrote: »
    Because I was talking about now....besides, the Galaxy Ace 2 is slated for upgrade to Jelly Bean anyway, and if the average consumer is "not clued up" as some people have been suggesting, then I doubt it would even matter. The point is, there is no device solely running Gingerbread available, the base is ICS, which is fine as 4.x devices do not have compatibility issues with apps, which was my whole point.

I'm not quite sure what point you are trying to make. I stated a simple fact the android has a fragmentation problem because if you go into a phone shop 'now' there are phones which are still running 3 different versions of android. It isn't just the ace 2, they also sell the ace and the y which both run 2.3. There are also several phones running ics.

I don't know how you can sy there is no device solely running gingerbread.:confused:
  • paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Google might be in control of the release cycle, but fragmentation is out of their hands. In the O2 shop today there was a group of samsung and Sony phones running gb, ics and JB.

however most of these (not sure about the GB ones but at least some of the apps get upgraded on Froyo upwards) will already have access to the new versions of G+, Music, Hangouts, Books, Search/Now, and Maps when it comes out. That's a pretty neat way round the fragmentation issue.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    paulbrock wrote: »
    however most of these (not sure about the GB ones but at least some of the apps gets upgraded on Froyo upwards) will already have access to the new versions of G+, Music, Hangouts, Books, Search/Now, and Maps when it comes out. That's a pretty neat way round the fragmentation issue.

I agree, google are putting a lot of effort into supporting the user. I've never had any complaints about them.

It does become very difficult for them and they should be applauded for the work they are doing.

That doesn't remove that fact that fragmentation exists and doen look like it is going away.
  • finbaarfinbaar Posts: 4,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Google might be in control of the release cycle, but fragmentation is out of their hands. In the O2 shop today there was a group of samsung and Sony phones running gb, ics and JB.

"Fragmentation" is now back in the hands of Google. Have you not read the reports? Do you understand what updating google services via the play store means?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    finbaar wrote: »
    "Fragmentation" is now back in the hands of Google. Have you not read the reports? Do you understand what updating google services via the play store means?

Yes, I do understand what this means. How will it solve fragmentation? Are the updates going to be 'forced'? If not, it could make the situation worse.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    finbaar wrote: »

Indeed, as I said before, Google introducing all those features without a version increment shows that they are tackling the issue head on. Compatibility between versions will evidently be far less of a problem down the line...

Google can never fully control Android so that every single device is running the same version. They aren't Apple dealing with a maximum of 7-8 different devices. All kinds of devices run Android. But what Google can do, is make sure that all the latest features are available to as many Android users as possible, and doing so would significantly reduce the problems that fragmentation can bring. Google took their first steps towards this at this year's I/O.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Zack06 wrote: »
    Indeed, as I said before, Google introducing all those features without a version increment shows that they are tackling the issue head on. Compatibility between versions will evidently be far less of a problem down the line...

Google can never fully control Android so that every single device is running the same version. They aren't Apple dealing with a maximum of 7-8 different devices. All kinds of devices run Android. But what Google can do, is make sure that all the latest features are available to as many Android users as possible, and doing so would significantly reduce the problems that fragmentation can bring. Google took their first steps towards this at this year's I/O.

So will updates be mandatory? Is even using the play store mandatory on android phones?

I'm sure it will help.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So will updates be mandatory? Is even using the play store mandatory on android phones?

I'm sure it will help.

Which updates? Did you even read about/watch Google I/O? :confused:

The whole point is that they've integrated the new features into apps rather than as updates to the OS. Using the Play Store is not mandatory, but for a device to have the Play Store, it needs to be Google approved.
  • paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    are phone software updates ever mandatory?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    paulbrock wrote: »
    are phone software updates ever mandatory?

No they are not. But what google are doing (and to be clear I think it is a fine idea) is to separate out some core aspects of android, so you could end up with a situation where someone has the current os update but then doesn't update one (or more) of the elements now on play store.

However way you look at it, that could make the devices more fragmented.

If I've misunderstood how they are doing it, then fine, but I can see some positives and negatives to this.
  • Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just listening to the android central podcast covering the event. Some pretty cool stuff. Google maps for iPad and developments, location based reminders, improvements to google now, google now coming to my chromebook, they have attempted to address fragmentation, tablet apps!
  • clonmultclonmult Posts: 3,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, I do understand what this means. How will it solve fragmentation? Are the updates going to be 'forced'? If not, it could make the situation worse.

More to the point - since when is fragmentation an issue for anyone other than an incompetent/lazy developer?

If you've been developing on desktops for years you'll be used to targeting different resolutions and processors. Android is no different on that count. Anyone who complains about Android fragmentation is being a tad silly.
  • GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I tried the new google maps, it's certainly better than it was but nothing amazing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    clonmult wrote: »
    More to the point - since when is fragmentation an issue for anyone other than an incompetent/lazy developer?

If you've been developing on desktops for years you'll be used to targeting different resolutions and processors. Android is no different on that count. Anyone who complains about Android fragmentation is being a tad silly.

On the face of it, it seems to cause a couple of issues.

First, there are now a fair few apps in the play store which are not comparable with GB. Whether that is down to developers or not doesn't matter, it is the end user which suffers.

Also, I can't help feeling that fragmentation does not help to android rollout cycle for phone providers. I don't understand why (for example) samsung have taken so long to update the ace 2 to JB. Even with a touch wiz layer, why is there so much work to be done.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gormond wrote: »
    I tried the new google maps, it's certainly better than it was but nothing amazing.

My friend said it's pretty slick. I was surprised to hear him say that he thought Google Maps really needed updating on his Nexus 4, because the layout is clumsy and unintuitive, and better implemented on iOS. Is that really true?
  • GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My friend said it's pretty slick. I was surprised to hear him say that he thought Google Maps really needed updating on his Nexus 4, because the layout is clumsy and unintuitive, and better implemented on iOS. Is that really true?

Yeah it is kind of unintuitive on the Nexus 4, you end up going through all the options just to find what you want.

The maps is ok but doesn't seem that much different than before, they have integrated some Google Earth things and changed how POIs appear, that seems about it.
  • enapaceenapace Posts: 4,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This google hangout thing is completely broke it doesn't receive replies from my friends. though i know they are sending so basically till they fix google broke that on my phone.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    enapace wrote: »
    This google hangout thing is completely broke it doesn't receive replies from my friends. though i know they are sending so basically till they fix google broke that on my phone.

It was utter garbage when I tried it with my friend. I got push notifications on my iPhone but then when I went into the app the messages weren't there. My friend on his Nexus 4 could see the messages in the app but didn't get any notifications despite having them enabled. We went back to WhatsApp pretty quickly.
  • enapaceenapace Posts: 4,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was utter garbage when I tried it with my friend. I got push notifications on my iPhone but then when I went into the app the messages weren't there. My friend on his Nexus 4 could see the messages in the app but didn't get any notifications despite having them enabled. We went back to WhatsApp pretty quickly.

Oh I don't even get notifications or messages I get nothing at all. All I see are the messages I have sent that is it but I know my friend replies because I get messages on internet version. Plus you can't see if any of the people you sending messages to are online which used to be a useful feature in google talk.
  • legends wear 7legends wear 7 Posts: 2,102
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Your right. It is a shame companies ignore their moral obligations so the best way to deal with it is to change the laws.

you do realise a publically traded company only has one obligation, which is shareholder wealth.

paying more tax than legally required would be in direct contradiction to that obligation.
  • jonner101jonner101 Posts: 3,410
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, as many have said this was a development conference so the end user probably isn't going to understand the implications of many of the announcements.

The fact that they are finally bringing out a professional IDE, Android Studio is a major step forward. If they get it right it will be so much easier to develop consistent looking apps and deal with device fragmentation

Crucially it should be easier to develop consistent interfaces that work well for tablets, rather than apps that just look like scaled up phone apps

Apple should be worried.
  • clonmultclonmult Posts: 3,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On the face of it, it seems to cause a couple of issues.

First, there are now a fair few apps in the play store which are not comparable with GB. Whether that is down to developers or not doesn't matter, it is the end user which suffers.

Also, I can't help feeling that fragmentation does not help to android rollout cycle for phone providers. I don't understand why (for example) samsung have taken so long to update the ace 2 to JB. Even with a touch wiz layer, why is there so much work to be done.

There will be API additions that cause these incompatibilities, but there will be similar issues on iOS - some apps may require the later version of the OS due to their build.

There isn't really an issue with "fragmentation" as most people seem to claim - if apps don't work on GB/HC.ICS and require JB, then (technically) thats more of an issue for the hardware supplier and they should update.

Maybe they're tardy giving out OS updates to try and convince users to move to new hardware? No other reason - look at how quickly Cyanogen tends to be made available by a bunch of relative amateurs.