Options

Apple iPod - What can it do??

Ok , i know there's another thread, but it seems a bit off topic, and what i'm looking for.

Can someone list all the benfits of this, can it also do Backup's?

And where's the cheapest place to get it?

Cheers

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,479
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the basic benefit of it is the amount of storage you get, so you could probably store the whole of your cd collection on it.

Computeractive has a basic review on it on page 27 and gives it a five star rating and a buy it stamp.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,055
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What do you mean by 'can it do backups'

It's a music device that can hold digital music (and a lot of it!)

You might want to read it here http://www.apple.com/uk/ipod/

Apple products don't seem to vary in price by very much anywhere. Basically you'll be lucky to find it cheaper than the apple online store (at least it's certainly that case with iMacs)
  • Options
    chrisbartleychrisbartley Posts: 1,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What do you mean by 'can it do backups'
    most of the other disk based MP3 players ( archos etc) allow the drive just to appear as a USB device on the PC, so it can easlly be used to 'move' data or music files from one location to another.

So a sort of backup ? but not the best place to be keeping your back data in your pocket or rucsack or similar

Some of the devices seem to think that might encourage piracy and so only allow an upload function
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36
    Forum Member
    hi,

boat rocker alert! Why do you want an IPOD or other JukeBox?
    When are you gonna listen to 8000 songs?

I have a DCP-400 (CD player), an ORC-200 (USB Drive) and am considering a SlimBox 256MB from MP3 Plus.

I prefer to have a selection for different uses and collectively thy cost less than an iPOD and give more flexibility...

I bet you have your favourites that you listen to more often than others and they take up less than 512MB.

Sorry....

Ruffas
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have my entire music collection MP3'd from my CDs so I can keep them all in one place, but with the added bonus of being able to put them on shuffle and listen to everything randomly. It's also nice that you can just press play and pretty much be sure it won't be something you heard earlier in the day.

I have just under 2Gb of music on my iMac (about a 30 hours worth) (before anyone asks that particular computer isn't connected to the Internet ;) )
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 41
    Forum Member
    Originally posted by Herbal
    can it also do Backup's?

I was reading this story the other week, can't remember where now but this journalist was in a computer shop when a kid walks in, goes over to a mac, takes out his ipod and plugs it into the firewire port. The journo has a sneaky look and sees that the kid is nicking the whole of office for mac, with just a lead hanging out of his pocket - and he did it in about 2 minutes. Not that I'm condoning such actions, mind!

BTW for those that don't know, on a mac all the files for an app can be all in one folder and don't need an installation program.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would never have thought of that, I guess that's why so many show rooms put passwords on their screensavers ;)