Options

McCoy wants a return for the anniversary.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OK. Now, If I had the drawing skills of Rich at his Comixblog, I would have to make my own multiDoctor story. But, in Fanfic terms, I have made even more complex ones than these base ideas.

Ahem.

This one would have to be comic. Ian, in all his cleverness, has.......wait, no that won't work......Alright, somehow, Ian uses a TARDIS key to bring back the Doctor, but it doesn't work properly and brings them all back. Barbara is being removed from time, and they need to know by who or what.

Maybe another episode could be dealing with say 10 and 11 materializing at a some sort of quaint hotel and discovering 4, 5, 6 and 7! But there not the doctor there all Chameleon Arced. So there people, and they have aged as these people. Then, when they bring them back, WHAM! There Doctor like, but they slowly turn back into there younger selves. They dash about as there old selves, (Or waddle in the bakers case :o ) then as they say there goodbyes we can see that they are reverting to there youth thanks to FX.

Ta dah!!!

Sorry Bakers! ;)
  • Options
    saxysaxy Posts: 501
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Listentome wrote: »
    Ah, but apparently Ian Chesterton hasn't aged since the 1960s (SJA - The Death of the Doctor).

I was so annoyed when they said that! All but ruling out a return for Mr Russell.

SJ did say 'rumour has it that...' so I'm hoping it is just a rumour.
    Maybe she read it on wikipedia....
  • Options
    amos_brearleyamos_brearley Posts: 8,496
    Forum Member
    For me, it wasn't about ruling out Ian's return, but more of ensuring Barbara is immortal despite poor Jacqueline's death.
  • Options
    roland ratroland rat Posts: 13,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it would be amazing if they could get as many ex-Doctors as are willing/able to appear into the anniversary show.

In practice, that could mean The Bakers, Davison, McCoy, McGann, Tennant and Smith.

They'd have to come up with some method of explaining aging if the older Doctors agreed to do it, but I'm sure Moff is equal to the task.

I'm not keen on computer generating the first 3 Doctors, though. I'd rather just let them rest in peace, with fond memories.

You could put it down to the fact the doctor is the last of his kind, and his previous regeneration, gradually age, as they can no longer regenerate
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd only be keen on classic doctors returning if they use Tron-style computer effects. As I said earlier my hope is that by the time of the anniversary it will be cheap enough for the BBC to afford :)

If they can't afford it they should just have McGann.

[edit] That made Paul sound like the cheap option, which is not what I meant. Sorry Paul. Just that he'd aged well and has had less screen time so there's less of a clash with viewers memories.
  • Options
    ListentomeListentome Posts: 9,804
    Forum Member
    saxy wrote: »
    I was so annoyed when they said that! All but ruling out a return for Mr Russell.

SJ did say 'rumour has it that...' so I'm hoping it is just a rumour.
    Maybe she read it on wikipedia....

I think it is no more than a tease for older fans. I quite like those. It just throws another little mystery into the pot.

As you said it was just a rumour. :D
  • Options
    CoalHillJanitorCoalHillJanitor Posts: 15,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Listentome wrote: »
    I think it is no more than a tease for older fans. I quite like those. It just throws another little mystery into the pot.

As you said it was just a rumour. :D

It's a bit like 507. ;)
  • Options
    ListentomeListentome Posts: 9,804
    Forum Member
    It's a bit like 507. ;)

Exactly. The sort of thing that will wind up a lot of fans and delight others. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One of those times where I wish I knew what the Moff was thinking..
    Knowing how he loves to presage things, I'm guessing he's already giving a bit of thought to the anniversary.
    I doubt he's written anything much yet as it's a few seasons away.
    Also there is the sad but inevitable fact that a few of the ex Doctors might not be with us by then..:(
    I wonder if he's thought of that and will ask them to come in 'now' to film stuff for 2013?:cool:
    I just hope, with all of the anticipation, the Doctor Who team steps up to the plate and really delivers something special.
    Wouldn't it be terrible if all we got was a cobbled together clip show, a few talking heads and a throw away reference in the episode that falls on the anniversary date?
  • Options
    tingramretrotingramretro Posts: 10,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hot Dogg wrote: »
    One of those times where I wish I knew what the Moff was thinking..
    Knowing how he loves to presage things, I'm guessing he's already giving a bit of thought to the anniversary.
    I doubt he's written anything much yet as it's a few seasons away.
    Also there is the sad but inevitable fact that a few of the ex Doctors might not be with us by then..:(
    I wonder if he's thought of that and will ask them to come in 'now' to film stuff for 2013?:cool:
    Not if he doesn't want a well deserved smack in the mouth from an irate Tom Baker while Colin holds him down. That is a morbid and deeply insensitive thought. Aside from Tom (who's doing fine so far), none of the others are that old, anyway-Colin and Sylv are only in their sixties, for God's sake!:eek:
    I just hope, with all of the anticipation, the Doctor Who team steps up to the plate and really delivers something special.
    Wouldn't it be terrible if all we got was a cobbled together clip show, a few talking heads and a throw away reference in the episode that falls on the anniversary date?

It would indeed. But I still have a fear that that is what we'll get...:(
  • Options
    Saint_ErrantSaint_Errant Posts: 474
    Forum Member
    Those who say that some of the ex Doctors look nothing like they did is easy to explain by clever writing. One scenario that springs to mind is that someone has interfered with the Doctor's timeline to stop him regenerating. Therefore his bodies age. Simples
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Those who say that some of the ex Doctors look nothing like they did is easy to explain by clever writing. One scenario that springs to mind is that someone has interfered with the Doctor's timeline to stop him regenerating. Therefore his bodies age. Simples

Simple but not very good. No offence ;)
  • Options
    daveyboy7472daveyboy7472 Posts: 16,416
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Moffat has already covered this in Time Crash. If you meet a future Doctor you age due to the presenece of the current Doctor. That will most be definitely be used again in the anniversary no doubt. :)
  • Options
    Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not if he doesn't want a well deserved smack in the mouth from an irate Tom Baker while Colin holds him down. That is a morbid and deeply insensitive thought. Aside from Tom (who's doing fine so far), none of the others are that old, anyway-Colin and Sylv are only in their sixties, for God's sake!:eek:

LOL Some people on here seem to think that once you hit 50 you can't struggle out of bed in the morning. (Well, sometimes I can't but that's bone idleness, not my age).

So where does that leave the ever-youthful Liz Sladen? :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It would indeed. But I still have a fear that that is what we'll get...:(

Point taken tingram..

Although..

Bill Hartnell died aged ..........67
    Pat Troughton died aged..... 67
    Jon Pertwee died aged..........76

Tom Baker presently..............76 !

All I was saying was, these aren't 'young' men any more...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hot Dogg wrote: »
    Point taken tingram..

Although..

Bill Hartnell died aged ..........67
    Pat Troughton died aged..... 67
    Jon Pertwee died aged..........76

Tom Baker presently..............76 !

All I was saying was, these aren't 'young' men any more...

Mid sixties was still regarded as 'old' when Bill died in '75, but average life expectancy has crept up quite a bit since then. Pat died fairly young even for the late 80s, I don't really see the rest of them shuffling off this mortal coil anytime soon.
  • Options
    mikey1980mikey1980 Posts: 3,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some people have high ambitions for the 2013 50th anniversary, but really, only two elements need be in place: -

1) A celebration of Classic Who
    2) A celebration of New Who

This doesn't call for ALL former Doctors and companions from the past 50 years (which wouldn't be possible anyway, and trying to create them via CGI would be expensive and insensitive); it simply requires representatives from both eras.

In any case, filling a 100 minute one-off film with dozens of former actors / actresses would result in the screen getting very cluttered. And neither would it be very satisfying, as few would get extended screentime.

Assuming that people who are asked actually want to return to the show for a one-off cameo, I'd get:

David Tennant
    Christopher Eccleston
    Paul McGann
    Slyvestor McCoy

to be former Doctors alongside Matt Smith's incumbant. They link classic and new who, and are all young enough / or at least, young-enough looking to make it worthwhile bringing them back.

Aside from the current 'companion(s)', I might bring back one other, possibly Sarah Jane or Jo Grant - that worked well recently on the Sarah Jane Adventures.

I might bring back ONE classic villan, the Daleks / Master / Time Lords / Cybermen - take your pick.

But I'd leave it there. I'd try and make the special story-driven, not driven by returning characters. Even stopping there, I've probably included too many former doctors or companions.

Tingramretro's idea of a 13 episode season with a different doctor featuring in each one might actually work better.
  • Options
    mikey1980mikey1980 Posts: 3,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Moffat has already covered this in Time Crash. If you meet a future Doctor you age due to the presenece of the current Doctor. That will most be definitely be used again in the anniversary no doubt. :)

It worked for what was a one-off and short episode; but I'm not sure I'd buy it for a feature-length film. Fans generally want to see their favourite doctors looking as near to possible as they did back "in the day".
  • Options
    Toby53Toby53 Posts: 845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just read this on the BBC Website this morning. McCoy wants to come back for the anniversary story in 2013:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-11848554

He also wants the missing Doctors to be put in by Computer Technology in a Multi-Doctor story.

Could work, they did it using Arnie in the last Terminator film.

What do you all think?

:)
    No never worst Doctor ever, the series he was in was a great mistake and contributed to a very long gap doctor less.
    Never mind the stories he was c£!&*.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Toby53 wrote: »
    No never worst Doctor ever,
    No, he wasn't.
    the series he was in
    Which one? He was in three.
    was a great mistake and contributed to a very long gap doctor less.
    Which would have happened anyway.
    Never mind the stories he was c£!&*.
    No, he wasn't.
  • Options
    Toby53Toby53 Posts: 845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, he wasn't. Which one? He was in three. Which would have happened anyway.
    No, he wasn't.

Good job we like different things
    All of them
    Yes he was
  • Options
    tvstudiestvstudies Posts: 739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    McCoy was an appalling Doctor, not helped by awful scripts, two awful companions and a tired production team. Andrew Cartmel didn't have a clue about Doctor Who either - and it showed.
  • Options
    Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, he wasn't.
    Toby53 wrote: »
    Yes he was

The pantomime season is upon us :D
    tvstudies wrote: »
    McCoy was an appalling Doctor, not helped by awful scripts, two awful companions and a tired production team. Andrew Cartmel didn't have a clue about Doctor Who either - and it showed.

It really is just a matter of opinion about McCoy. I have always liked him as an actor, and thought he made a wonderful Doctor.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tvstudies wrote: »

I would sooner watch Cartmel's Doctor Who than RTD's anyday. I think he knew exactly what he was doing, and I just wish he and McCoy's 'dark Doctor' had gotten the fourth season they deserved. And Ace was (to borrow a phrase from her) well wicked.
  • Options
    Adam KelleherAdam Kelleher Posts: 1,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would sooner watch Cartmel's Doctor Who than RTD's anyday. I think he knew exactly what he was doing, and I just wish he and McCoy's 'dark Doctor' had gotten the fourth season they deserved. And Ace was (to borrow a phrase from her) well wicked.

Whilst everyone's entitled to their own opinions, I think you're in a small minority here. For whatever reasons, RTD's Doctor Who was succesful and Cartmel's wasn't. In my opinion neither main backstory ("I'm more than a Timelord" - oh really, why has it taken 7 Doctors and 25 years for this to come to light - and the effects of the Time War - no more Daleks - oh really, why do they keep turning up) was much cop.