Non Televised - UK Wrestling

The Icon V2The Icon V2 Posts: 563
Forum Member
✭✭
a bit more of a follow on from this thread:

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1328713

There are Many UK wrestling Promotions.

Have you watched many of your "local" Promotions?

if you could pick wrestlers from around the world to watch live in front of you, who would you pick? how far would you be willing travel to see some well known American wrestlers?.

the reason i ask is simple. i want to re start my company which i closed down for a bit earlier this year. i will be looking to start in March of next year. i have a list of names.

Charlie Haas & Shelton Benjamin - The Worlds Greatest Tag Team

The Hurricane
Carlito
Divari

ROH Names: Davey Richards or Austin Aries.

would you travel to see these guys on a show? along side some of the best UK wrestlers?

side note, if you want to moan about wrestling not been a "sport" its fake, and all the other same old digs.. jog on and post somewhere else please ;)

www.oneprowrestling.com
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=19037274808&v=info

Comments

• misawa97misawa97 Posts: 11,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    US wrestlers: Davey Richards & Austin Aries.
    Japanese Wrestlers: Katsuhiko Nakajima, Kenta, Prince Devitt (Irish but based in Japan), Shinsuke Nakumera, Tanahashi, Naomichi, Marufuji, Takashi Sugiura, Go Shiozaki.

Get Japanese wrestlers and I would be willing to travel quite a way.
  • The Icon V2The Icon V2 Posts: 563
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What is that most attracts you to Japanese Wrestling?

did you attend the UK Dragon Gate tour just gone?
  • misawa97misawa97 Posts: 11,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What is that most attracts you to Japanese Wrestling?

did you attend the UK Dragon Gate tour just gone?

No I missed that and am gutted!!

The biggest attraction is that its just wrestling. i dont like all the soap opera storylines and wackyness u see in America. I just wanna see grappling.

I prefer the harder hitting 'strong' style u see in Japan. To me it actually resembles what a 'real' bout is. Submissions actually meaning something, titles being majorly important and not treated as a joke. Clean finishes with no run ins and silly interference.
  • celesticelesti Posts: 26,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You run 1PW?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,885
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd travel a reasonable distance to see the guys you've listed and the British guys too. There seems to be a shortage of that kind of thing in the Yorkshire area where I am so maybe its a case of having to travel to see the better quality indy wrestling. I'd love the opportunity to see it in a less produced manner - I like PWG's setup so I'm deffo not all about pyro and big screens :D

I often read about British wrestling in FSM but very little of it seems to be local-ish to me, their reports seem to suggest that the more popular promotions are up in Scotland and down South but feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on that :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    celesti wrote: »
    You run 1PW?

Yes
    I'd travel a reasonable distance to see the guys you've listed and the British guys too. There seems to be a shortage of that kind of thing in the Yorkshire area where I am so maybe its a case of having to travel to see the better quality indy wrestling. I'd love the opportunity to see it in a less produced manner - I like PWG's setup so I'm deffo not all about pyro and big screens :D

I often read about British wrestling in FSM but very little of it seems to be local-ish to me, their reports seem to suggest that the more popular promotions are up in Scotland and down South but feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on that :D

The shortage came in my opinion as the old owner of 1PW Steven Gauntley over used all American Talent and went bust., he gave everything to soon. and the other problem is getting american talent is now much harder and much more expensive. if they work for WWE we cant use them, TNA are much harder to work with now a days, and between the two, there really isnt many big names left to use./

and FSM... *sigh* they used to be very fair but i got slated a few issues ago so i have no time for them anymore, however PBW in scotland is a very very good promotion :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    thought i would bump this a little.

our new website is going live over the weekend. which will drop rather "big" hints as to who we have for our 1st big supershow return later on next year ;) ANY fans from the Attitude Era will want to be at this show.

www.oneprowrestling.com

also our return to the small UK shows is coming this feb. this has the best of UK talent on this show. and tickets are just £8. or Ringside £10

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=165840293456569
  • sergio2006sergio2006 Posts: 3,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would probably travel to see Shelton Benjamin, I think hes one of the best wrestlers in the world.
  • gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wrestling isnt publicised very well.

my son was really interested, but you seem to have to look for it hard, to find any.
  • f_196f_196 Posts: 11,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've always wanted to attend a live event, but alas i'm the only one in my circle who likes wrestling these days :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Very True Gemma

what i find is, although wrestling is popular is not taken serious still. so trying to get good sponsers behind it is very hard.

advertising is papers, costs £1000s. ONE full page in the Liverpool echo costs £10.000 per week. considering a show can cost upto £20.000 to put on, thats everything from Venue, Flights, the lot. to then spend another £10.000 on ones weeks advertising is a lot.

where abouts do you like? often its easy to put Wrestling in ______ into google.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well our website is now live again. and some up coming show dates. www.oneprowrestling.com

some news about soem BIG upcoming names will be announced this week :)
  • eugenespeedeugenespeed Posts: 66,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    f_196 wrote: »
    I've always wanted to attend a live event, but alas i'm the only one in my circle who likes wrestling these days :(

That's never bothered me. Once the show starts, like any other gig, it doesn't matter. Plus you usually get talking to someone else who's there.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So the 1st TWO Promo videos for May's Show have been put on youtube :)

Krimson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4KIQgVmQrA

XPac
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xos2JzOy6mI

lots more to come.

Keep an eye on the website for all the news for the next few shows :)

www.oneprowrestling.com
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 28
    Forum Member
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jimbags wrote: »

UKFF'er by any chance?

I've not heard great things about the JWF, as far as calling them glorified backyarders.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    good lord.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've been a fan of the FWA from the very beginning - and have travelled across the country to see their shows.

Even when they were bringing over imports, it was the British wrestlers I liked most - Jodie Fleisch, Jonny Storm, Alex Shane, Darren Burridge, Zebra Kid, Doug Williams etc...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    browncoat wrote: »
    I've been a fan of the FWA from the very beginning - and have travelled across the country to see their shows.

Even when they were bringing over imports, it was the British wrestlers I liked most - Jodie Fleisch, Jonny Storm, Alex Shane, Darren Burridge, Zebra Kid, Doug Williams etc...

I've only really seen the FWA on video. I have enjoyed their product though.
  • celesticelesti Posts: 26,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I saw their show at the Coventry Skydome in 2004 which was great. AJ Styles was delayed so his matched ended up as the main event by default which worked well as it was a cracking half-hour ironman. I also shook D-Lo Brown's hand, true story.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Celesti, that was British Uprising 3 (I think?). Also featured the legend that is Terry Funk.

Has anyone seen the latest Alex Shane interview? (as "The Ascension").
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1PW NEWS UPDATE: December 30th 2010.

Before we begin, just to let everyone know that there will be a HUGE update on January 1st regarding some of the MASSIVE Import talent that you will be seeing on May 28th at THE LAST STAND

1PW HITS THE RESET BUTTON..

As the old saying goes, out with the old and in with the new. Because 1PW is starting again, afresh and anew, we cleared the cobwebs and stacks of paperwork off the desk and in the process accidentally pressed the big red button marked 'press only in case of emergency'.

At first, it appeared nothing has happened, all was normal and usual. It was only an hour or so later that we realised that everything had been changed and reset, Danny's keyboard had disappeared (although that is probably for the best), another member of 1PW management had suddenly grown a huge beard and all 1PW Championships became vacant.

So, starting on February 26th, the race to crown NEW World, Openweight and Tag Team Champions begins. Except, with this being professional wrestling, things can never be that simple..

TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIPS HELD HOSTAGE BY FIGHT CLUB

Kid Fite and Liam Thompson, better known as Fight Club, were the last recognised 1PW Tag Team Champions before the company relaunch. Upon learning that the titles had become vacated, they became furiously angry, and refused to mail the titles back.

"You see, up here in Scotland, we have a little saying", Kid Fite commented. "and that saying is, possession is nine tenths of the law". "If you want those precious Tag Team Championships back, come and take them from us".

"We NEVER lost those belts" added Liam Thompson. "In fact, we gave you the highest profile Championship match in 1PW history and ran Beer Money all the way back to America".

Whilst we agree in part with the latter, 1PW Management consider the former to be a bit of a slap in the face. So, for February 26th, the decision was made to send two of the most dependable, proud and card carrying members of the lockeroom to go and get the belts back for us.

If it's war you want gentlemen, then it's war you shall receive.

FIGHT CLUB vs. THE M.O.B. SIGNED FOR NEW DAWN.

Since 1PW management need to reclaim the Tag Team Championships, it didn't take long to figure out who were the best team for the job were.

Keith Myatt, who has fought the likes of Jushin Lyger and Desmond Wolfe over a storied and epic near 30 year career, found himself making waves in 1PW all over again when pared up with Keith 'Ruffneck' Colwill in 2009.

Ruffneck, an outspoken 'kill first and ask questions later' warrior of the squared circle, has always been first in line when anyone threatens to take control of 1PW, is best known for his physical battles against the Damned Nation, Profits of Liberty and the Chavs.

As adept in the ring throwing European Uppercuts as they are throwing chairs out of it, The M.O.B. are just that, Mean Old Bastards. If Fight Club don't bring their 'A Game', they won't be an 'A Team' by the end of February 26th. Be sure to polish up our belts before giving them back please.

CZW KEEN TO MAKE AN IMPACT AT NEW DAWN

Combat Zone Wrestling, fresh off announcing the opening of a UK office, are ready to show that their definition of Hardcore isn't simply the bloodshed that most people associate them with.

CZW have decided to send one of their best homegrown talents over to 1PW, to show off an individual they claim is one of the fastest rising stars in America today, the current CZW Jr Heavyweight Champion Adam Cole. Cole, who defeated Sabian to lift the title, is currently in the midst of an impressive seven month reign as Champion, has promised to defend the Championship should he still be Champion by February 26th.

Stepping forward to try and unseat Cole comes a man with a weird history in 1PW. Occasionally Damned, sometimes a Model, at times Exposed but always supremely talented. That man is Joey Hayes.

Joey, who many say is on the cusp of becoming a major break-out star in UK wrestling, is keen to add the CZW Jr Heavyweight Championship to an already impressive list of UK Championships.

This match has the potential to be showstealer and could possibly be the one and only time you'll ever see these two premier Jr Heavyweights lock horns.

1PW WORLD AND OPENWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP PLANS.

Information coming soon. In the coming weeks, you'll find out just who is the hunt for these two prestigeous championships and how they can win them..

The match's we already do know about are the first rounds, first time ever match's for the 1PW World Championship, taking place on February 26th:
    Darren Burridge vs. El Ligero.

Two of the most popular men in all of UK wrestling have a huge opportunity to score big. Expect a classic.

Lionheart Vs Andy Baker

Lionheart - the man of 2010 will be taking on the newcomer of the year Andy Baker.. and he has some points to prove

1PW PRESENTS: A NEW DAWN

TO RECLAIM THE 1PW TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP:
    Fight Club (holding the title belts to ransom) vs. The M.O.B. (Keith Myatt and Keith 'Ruffneck; Colwill)

CZW Jr Heavyweight Championship Match:
    Adam Cole (c) vs. Joey Hayes

1PW WORLD TITLE TOURNAMENT, FIRST ROUND MATCHES:

Darren Burridge vs. El Ligero

Lionheart vs. Andy Baker

Also featuring:
    Lionheart
    Noam Dar
    Andy Baker
    ..and MUCH more.

TICKETS:

Ringside - £15
    General - £10
    Family - £30 (2 Adults, 2 Children in General Seating)

Fully Stocked & Licensed Bar until midnight (YAY)

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=165840293456569

Electricity Sports & Social Club
    Capenhurst
    Ellesmere Port
    Cheshire
    CH1 6ER

you can reserve tickets now by emailing the team at sales@oneprowrestling.com
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bring back Team Shag, and I might be tempted to come along...
  • fluffsta007fluffsta007 Posts: 425
    Forum Member
    I think the Coventry Skydome should be the home of UK wrestling. Its central and links to all the main motorways and its a great venue for wrestling if a little large.
  • guypdguypd Posts: 2,643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    side note, if you want to moan about wrestling not been a "sport" its fake, and all the other same old digs.. jog on and post somewhere else please ;)

I'd suggest that wrestling being fixed, and therefore not a sport, is relevant in a thread posted about wrestling in a sport forum.