Soham - A Parents Tale (Friday 3 August ITV1 9pm)

Comments

• Tweacle Tart IITweacle Tart II Posts: 5,079
    Forum Member
    I have a lot of time for Kevin Wells. I feel he is a very articulate, measured and quite remarkable man. I have seen him labelled as 'fame hungry' which I can understand but it is wrong because I know why he does speak to the media. It's because he wants people to remember his daughter Holly - not Holly who was murdered by Ian Huntley. He was barely mentioned in this programme which I think was the right thing. It was, as others have said, a positive view of a family moving on after a terrible loss. He is most definitely not like the McCanns who are a despicable pair in my opinion.

As for the Chapman family, as far as I'm aware, they have never spoken publically since a press conference after the verdicts. This is absolutely their right. Everyone deals with grief in their own way. I just have this feeling that they probably 'blame' the Wells family in some way for the loss of their daughter which is very sad.

I have to say the scenes with the psychic were uncomfortable viewing for me but I do know that he did predict a lot of things before the girls were found - IIRC, he said a man and woman were involved, there was a red car and they would be found near water - all of which were true so I can understand why they keep in touch with him and, if he brings them some comfort, who are we to judge?
    Forum Member
    It's the first time since holly and Jessica were killed that they have given an interview (I believe the dad has done a book though) but they said they wanted to do the interview because they knew that people would be talking about it in the lead up to 10 years and wanted to show that they have survived rather than be portrayed as a family who is struggling to move on/cope or whatever.

It isn't. There was a programme not long after the verdict that Kevin Wells was heavily involved in. I remember watching it. I'm sure it was on ITV. I think it was called Goodbye Dearest Holly and was two hours long IIRC.
    Forum Member
    The clip where he talks to the media - disgusting.

I have to say I never understand this view. If you're brazen enough to murder two girls then you're brazen enough to front it out to the media. Plenty of others have done it. One guy, a bus driver, even moved in with the family of a boy he'd sexually abused and murdered and campaigned with them to find the missing boy as he was last person to see him alive. There were rumours he'd had a sexual relationship with the boy's mother. Now that's disgusting!

On the whole, if you murder someone, you don't want to get caught and you will do anything to avoid that. It's not Murder She Wrote where everyone confesses.

I know that Ian Huntley did not want any footage to go national - he kept asking the local TV news team if it would and that he didn't want that to happen - and when it did, he was already too far in....and then calls started coming in from Grimsby.
  • StrmChaserSteveStrmChaserSteve Posts: 2,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No time at all for people that profess to be able to obtain messages from the ether

Sure, they get lucky guesses sometimes, but gloss over all the times they are wrong

It misses the point completely, that detective work is based upon evidence, and not someone's dream / visions or gut feelings
  • be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    egghead1 wrote: »
    Do you think they would find comfort if it were explained to them Mckenzie(the psychic) is lying and Holly isnt passing messages on?
    If McKenzie is a family friend, he probably isn't taking money from the Wellses (although he profits from exploiting their name). If so, he isn't required to show them the disclaimer he must use with paying customers:

All readings are for entertainment only

Scum of the Earth!
  • kate36kate36 Posts: 13,715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    such a sad but moving programme, i can't believe it's been ten years, it seems like yesterday when i was watching the news bulletins
    the family are obviously very close and loving, I couldn't even begin to imagine what they've been through; I think they've been very brave in the face of such tragedy

grief encounter is an incredible concept; i felt so moved by the little chap who'd lost his mum
    i lost my dad eight years ago and even at 43 i still find it tough going, so i think what grief encounter are doing is so special

good on kevin for doing the marathon and raising all that money, well done!
  • RetrospectiveRetrospective Posts: 3,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    egghead1 wrote: »
    Do you think they would find comfort if it were explained to them Mckenzie(the psychic) is lying and Holly isnt passing messages on?

No. I only meant that people who have lost loved ones sometimes go to a spiritual church or a private reading because they find their grief so hard to bear and find a little comfort if they get a message from their loved one.
    I wasn't that struck on this guy last night. Though I believe in an afterlife it doesn't mean to say that I believe every psychic is genuine.
    I googled this guy and there is a mixed reaction to him. Pity The Mcann's can't consult him to see if he knows what has happened to their daughter Maddie. It would be interesting to see if he got any vibes about what happened to her.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No. I only meant that people who have lost loved ones sometimes go to a spiritual church or a private reading because they find their grief so hard to bear and find a little comfort if they get a message from their loved one.
    I wasn't that struck on this guy last night. Though I believe in an afterlife it doesn't mean to say that I believe every psychic is genuine.
    I googled this guy and there is a mixed reaction to him. Pity The Mcann's can't consult him to see if he knows what has happened to their daughter Maddie. It would be interesting to see if he got any vibes about what happened to her.
    Don't you mean won't, rather than can't? The McCanns can consult any 'psychic' if they ever want to waste their time on the 'insights' of someone who's either dishonest or deluded.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't you mean won't, rather than can't? The McCanns can consult any 'psychic' if they ever want to waste their time on the 'insights' of someone who's either dishonest or deluded.

No i don't mean "wont". That is like saying the McCanns have approached this guy but wouldn't touch him with a barge pole. I have never seen anything written about them thinking of consulting him for a private reading.
    When I said "can't" I meant if the guy is a genuine psychic he would know right away what has happened to Maddie if the McCanns were to consult him.
    I'm hoping I'm making myself clear enough?:(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No i don't mean "wont". That is like saying the McCanns have approached this guy but wouldn't touch him with a barge pole. I have never seen anything written about them thinking of consulting him for a private reading.
    When I said "can't" I meant if the guy is a genuine psychic he would know right away what has happened to Maddie if the McCanns were to consult him.
    I'm hoping I'm making myself clear enough?:(
    Oh, I see. You're alluding to the unmentionable theory of what happened to Madeleine. Really not a good idea on this forum.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh, I see. You're alluding to the unmentionable theory of what happened to Madeleine. Really not a good idea on this forum.

I only used that as an example. I have been a member of this forum long enough to know what happens when they are mentioned so need for the warning.
  • rockerchickrockerchick Posts: 9,255
    Forum Member
    It was awful watching on the programme him talk to the tv crew so calmy. I couldn't understand how he could do that.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    Aww i saw this last night :( Very teary eyed i was :cry:
  • JoLucJoLuc Posts: 1,727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would never watch such a programme.
    I don't respect those that would.
  • egghead1egghead1 Posts: 4,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JoLuc wrote: »

Thanks for the moral input Mary Whitehouse. :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I only used that as an example. I have been a member of this forum long enough to know what happens when they are mentioned so need for the warning.
    Even so, there's no credible reason why the McCanns can't consult McKenzie or any other 'psychic'. Your scenario presupposes that people out there have genuine psychic (what an oxymoron) abilities, yet there is no real evidence to support this.
  • Jules_BaxterJules_Baxter Posts: 1,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was slightly disturbed by the lack of reference to Jessica in this program or her parents, it just seemed a bit odd.

I am a believer in the supernatural etc but I am not sure about these mediums either as they all see to say the same things e.g "He/She is with us now" "He/She is proud of you".

Winnie Johnson was on a program the other day and she bonded with a medium who claimed to have visits from her son Keith Bennett yet he has never been able to tell her where Keith is buried? I think it is a nice thing to believe that these people keep contact with a loved one that has passed on but I question why there are obvious questions a medium cannot answer just like the Well's medium couldn't tell them where Hollie & Jessica's shallow grave was.
  • MissCultureMissCulture Posts: 704
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe her parents do not wish to attract publicity to their private grief, and yes it was about Holly's parents and the cynic in my felt the have a desire to step from the shadows to become the new McCanns.

McCanns or otherwise - just what do we expect of parents whose children are either stolen or killed these days....? and why do any of us feel we have the right to be 'cynical' about anything they do...? I know if my child was abducted I'd swing from Tower Bridge upside down seven days a week, 52 weeks a year if it meant ensuring my child was not forgotten....just what do you want them to do that would make YOU feel better about THEIR predicament...? after all, has your child been killed or abducted - or do you have the privilege of tucking them in bed each night and seeing them next morning simply because your complacency about their safety has not crossed paths with a maniac lurking in your immediate area....?:mad: I have five children and would not wish to be in the McCanns shoes for half a second - who the hell would?
  • David WrightDavid Wright Posts: 4,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

What a strange post:confused:
  • shirlt9shirlt9 Posts: 5,085
    Forum Member
    McCanns or otherwise - just what do we expect of parents whose children are either stolen or killed these days....? and why do any of us feel we have the right to be 'cynical' about anything they do...? I know if my child was abducted I'd swing from Tower Bridge upside down seven days a week, 52 weeks a year if it meant ensuring my child was not forgotten....just what do you want them to do that would make YOU feel better about THEIR predicament...? after all, has your child been killed or abducted - or do you have the privilege of tucking them in bed each night and seeing them next morning simply because your complacency about their safety has not crossed paths with a maniac lurking in your immediate area....?:mad: I have five children and would not wish to be in the McCanns shoes for half a second - who the hell would?

With you on this..dont want to go into detail but a friend lost her 5 year old daughter to serious illness..very sudden..afew weekslater her older son had to return to same school..she had to take him to same school and stand in same playground she had been taking her daughter to..she needed to take him to support him..she didnt sleep the night before worrying about going back there..she dressed up,put her heels on and make up and strode into that school yard (think she needed to do that for confidence in facing everyone and staying strong for her son)..one woman near me made a comment about how she didnt expect to see her dressed up and made up..I went nuts at her..I said why...would you rather she had been sobbing and looking like cra#..!!!!!..would that make YOU feel better?..

I say dont judge..I cannot think of aynthing worse than losing a child in any circumstances..and I would never dictate to anyone about how they should behave or feel..
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe her parents do not wish to attract publicity to their private grief, and yes it was about Holly's parents and the cynic in my felt the have a desire to step from the shadows to become the new McCanns.

I dont think so. There was a disagreement between the 2 sets of parents but given the levels of emotion involved, it would be expected.

I wouldnt say they are anything like the McCanns. When you see Hollys family, you dont think they are milking the situation. You also dont think "did they do it".

A Good programme by ITV
  • roddydogsroddydogs Posts: 10,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do you think if theyd been fat ugly 15 yr olds, it would have got the same attention?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,363
    Forum Member
    People cope differently with such dreadful grief. Jessica's parents and the family just want to be left alone out of the public gaze. Jessica was a much loved little girl too.
    Kevin Wells works with his grief by writing and telling the world how he feels.
    However, what did upset me was that Mr and Mrs Wells are still using a psychic.
    It says that even after ten years they haven't really begun to allow healing yet and letting Holly go..It's so desperately sad.
  • Sophie ~Oohie~Sophie ~Oohie~ Posts: 10,395
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not watching it is fine, but why tell other people what they can and can't be interested in? :confused:
  • FlukieFlukie Posts: 40,578
    Forum Member
    roddydogs wrote: »
    Do you think if theyd been fat ugly 15 yr olds, it would have got the same attention?

If they'd been slim and gorgeous they probably wouldn't have got the same coverage.
    15 year olds are nearly young adults, 10 year olds are 'little girls'

There's a 12 year old girl missing at the moment. When I first saw a photo of her they put up, before I heard the story, I thought she was about 16. I was shocked when I heard she was only 12.