Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I've got one reply, still waiting for the other 16 :D
  • Options
    LazerliteLazerlite Posts: 1,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pet1986 wrote: »
    Ive now been unemployed for almost a year since i was made redudnant. Ive applied for hundreds of jobs and had interviews with about 40 and second interviews from those 40 with about 16, got down to the final three on a couple of occasions. It is soul destroying and i decided in July this year to stop looking for a while as i couldnt take much more rejection and no i dont claim benefits.

It's good that you have a plan of action going into the new year.

Last week, I went to a college for an interview/assessment against 10 other candidates with only 1 position up for grabs, I have the experience and the qualifications and can do the job, yet on 2 of the 3 assessments, I was told that I wasn't confident, so they were not going to continue with my application - this is after being there from 9 until 1 having nothing to eat.

This was on the back of a rejection I had from another employer with my birthday sandwiched in between. I feel a lot better now, but at the time of when I was rejected, it made me take stock and question a lot about myself.

One thing I intend on doing now is mapping out my answers on paper and taking them to the interview because it seems when I'm typing out my answers, I'm able to articulate and write more than when I'm at an interview stage. I don't believe though I lack confidence, but probably at the time, I just wasn't energetic or focused enough.

I have an interview assessment tomorrow afternoon of which I'm lookinf forward to but I've continued to keep working hard in filling out applications.

I can't even afford new clothes at the moment let alone take time out for a short break of which I know I could do with.
  • Options
    Pet1986Pet1986 Posts: 7,701
    Forum Member
    Lazerlite wrote: »
    Ive now been unemployed for almost a year since i was made redudnant. Ive applied for hundreds of jobs and had interviews with about 40 and second interviews from those 40 with about 16, got down to the final three on a couple of occasions. It is soul destroying and i decided in July this year to stop looking for a while as i couldnt take much more rejection and no i dont claim benefits.

It's good that you have a plan of action going into the new year.

Last week, I went to a college for an interview/assessment against 10 other candidates with only 1 position up for grabs, I have the experience and the qualifications and can do the job, yet on 2 of the 3 assessments, I was told that I wasn't confident, so they were not going to continue with my application - this is after being there from 9 until 1 having nothing to eat.

This was on the back of a rejection I had from another employer with my birthday sandwiched in between. I feel a lot better now, but at the time of when I was rejected, it made me take stock and question a lot about myself.

One thing I intend on doing now is mapping out my answers on paper and taking them to the interview because it seems when I'm typing out my answers, I'm able to articulate and write more than when I'm at an interview stage. I don't believe though I lack confidence, but probably at the time, I just wasn't energetic or focused enough.

I have an interview assessment tomorrow afternoon of which I'm lookinf forward to but I've continued to keep working hard in filling out applications.

I can't even afford new clothes at the moment let alone take time out for a short break of which I know I could do with.

I wish you all the luck in the world. I kept being told i was too young for the positions i was going for or didnt have enough experince and when i went for other jobs i was told i was over qualified and they didnt want to "train me up" only to have me leave when a i had the chance of a job doing what i really wanted to do. Its a no win situation most of the time.

I hope your assessment goes well.
  • Options
    Calibans DreamCalibans Dream Posts: 3,768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Over the past month, the jobs on the Jobcentre Plus website in my area have just been getting worse and worse. I'm having to hunt for the one job that is way down on my list, leave alone something vaguely in my many fields that I have worked before. They don't have many jobs and of few they have 90% are just impossible as I don't have what they want.

And that's another thing. You read a job description now and they expect an arm and a leg. You must have this and are expected to do that and the list goes on and on and on, including that you will be working all hours when they think you will, with zero notice and then state with pride that for that you will get minimum wage!
  • Options
    Calibans DreamCalibans Dream Posts: 3,768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I've got one reply, still waiting for the other 16 :D

Try the Euromillions lottery as you stand more chance!
  • Options
    LazerliteLazerlite Posts: 1,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lazerlite wrote: »

I wish you all the luck in the world. I kept being told i was too young for the positions i was going for or didnt have enough experince and when i went for other jobs i was told i was over qualified and they didnt want to "train me up" only to have me leave when a i had the chance of a job doing what i really wanted to do. Its a no win situation most of the time.

I hope your assessment goes well.

Different strokes for different folks and interviews these days are becoming more and more like driving tests unfortunately.

Good luck in your new venture.
  • Options
    RickyBarbyRickyBarby Posts: 5,902
    Forum Member
    I'm looking for a new job at the moment and the process is soul crushing.

I just spent about half an hour researching a company to write a carefully tailored covering letter and tweaking my CV to suit the job description, and less than 10 minutes after e-mailing it off I got a reply saying I'd been unsuccessful. They wouldn't have had time to do more than glance through it, and there was no reason given.

I've only been applying since last week but it's bringing up the same awful memories of the last time, rejection after rejection and in many cases no reply at all. Interviews where everything seemed to go great and the feedback was very positive, then a curt e-mail to say I hadn't got it - no reasons given. Interviews I felt very confident about, then walking in and realising it was one of those "can you tell me a time when..." interviews and my stomach just sank.

I just thank my lucky stars that at least I am in work already this time, and I don't have a black cloud hanging over me thinking how will I pay my bills. I am really not happy at my job and I hate the thought of going there every day, but with the demoralising nature of jobseeking I don't know if it's worth looking elsewhere.

Is anyone else in this position? How was your last experience job hunting?

I just apply for jobs, As I think its waste of time in researching a company
  • Options
    Jason100Jason100 Posts: 17,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This morning i woke up to the first positive reply to a job application I've had in a while! In the e-mail in big capital letters it says "YOU'RE CURRENTLY BEING CONSIDERED FOR WORK!"

It goes on to say that they're reviewing my application and the employer will be in touch with me soon. If I do not hear from them in 14 days I have been unsuccessful.

It put a smile on my face regardless. Now all I need to do is make sure I get it.
  • Options
    SemieroticSemierotic Posts: 11,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RickyBarby wrote: »
    I just apply for jobs, As I think its waste of time in researching a company

If you get an interview it certainly isn't a waste of time...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a job interview in 2 hours this job would be perfect as its in my area.
  • Options
    FroodFrood Posts: 13,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wouldn't worry.

According to Call Me Dave and Slimy George "we are all in it together."

Still trying to work out what this 'it' is:rolleyes:
  • Options
    ChipDouglas82ChipDouglas82 Posts: 6,700
    Forum Member
    I have no problem applying for jobs, usually don't get a response to the ones I do though.

The worst part of applying for jobs is the interview, the ones I've had, my mind always goes blank, its a nightmare.
  • Options
    Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    Frood wrote: »
    I wouldn't worry.

According to Call Me Dave and Slimy George "we are all in it together."

Still trying to work out what this 'it' is:rolleyes:

For Dave and George, it's flanked by the letters r and z

For you, it's prefixed by the letters s and h.
  • Options
    JB3JB3 Posts: 9,308
    Forum Member
    Reading through this thread you can understand why so many people are now becoming self employed.

I'm sure now that we are in recession employers get more picky and dismissive of applicants.
  • Options
    SemieroticSemierotic Posts: 11,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JB3 wrote: »

I'm sure now that we are in recession employers get more picky and dismissive of applicants.

They can lower wages too. More people are now chasing worse jobs.
  • Options
    NaturalWorrierNaturalWorrier Posts: 649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have been made redundant twice, so I know how disheartening it can be getting rejection after rejection - especially the ones who don't reply. The only advice I would give is that a job application process and the interview is to see if you are the right person for the job, but also if the job is right for you. If you don't get the job (for whatever reason), then it is fair to say the job wasn't right for you, and you would not have liked the job anyway.

The other thing I would say is that an interview is to confirm what they see on paper. If you are getting interviews, then there is something in you they like, so you are half way there, you just have to prove in the interview what they think about you (based on your CV) is true. If you are not even getting interviews, then work on your CV.

I now recruit and interview myself, and I must admit that recently I have found several candidates who I would have previously considered for the job, but now can reject, simply as there are so many people applying for jobs, you can find someone with exactly what you are looking for. It is tough out there - you just need to persevere and you will get a job eventually.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IThe other thing I would say is that an interview is to confirm what they see on paper. If you are getting interviews, then there is something in you they like, so you are half way there, you just have to prove in the interview what they think about you (based on your CV) is true. If you are not even getting interviews, then work on your CV.

I'm struggling with this part. I have read dozens of 'how to write a good CV' websites and articles and according to them, I'm doing everything right. I sent it to a friend who is not afraid to be honest and she had only tiny improvements to be made, which I did, and still I'm not getting any replies. I really really wish they would give a vague reason with their rejection just so you know if you're doing something wrong or if it's what you talked about in the last paragraph of your post - that you do fit the brief, but there are so many people who fit the brief that they can't interview everyone.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm struggling with this part. I have read dozens of 'how to write a good CV' websites and articles and according to them, I'm doing everything right. I sent it to a friend who is not afraid to be honest and she had only tiny improvements to be made, which I did, and still I'm not getting any replies. I really really wish they would give a vague reason with their rejection just so you know if you're doing something wrong or if it's what you talked about in the last paragraph of your post - that you do fit the brief, but there are so many people who fit the brief that they can't interview everyone.

Either way, the potential employers are seeing other people that on paper look better than you do.

This could be due to the current climate (and there are other applicants with more qualifications or more relevant experience), or it may be the way you have put together your CV (and so your best qualities do not shine though). If you are putting out CVs and not getting responses, the tips I would say are:

1 - Try and tailor your CV to every position you apply for. ie: mention more about experience relevant to that position and less about the less relevant items.
    2 - When talking about previous roles, talk about not what you did, talk about what you acheived.

and the most important...

3 - If you are getting rejected prior to interfiew and can't understand why, ask for feedback - was it something on your CV or something else. If you don't know what the issue is, you can't really fix it.

There is also the usual, such as keeping it brief etc..

I would say though, just persevere and don't take things personally. I know how much it gets you down and it is easy to get stuck in a rut and feel as if you are not employable. It is nothing to do with you - you have been employed before and you will be employed again, it is just about finding the right employer and position.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've done all of that with my CV and I haven't had a single reply to my polite requests for feedback :(

Thank you for the advice. I think, short of lying and adding things to my CV that I haven't actually done, I can't do any more than I am. I will just keep trying :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've done all of that with my CV and I haven't had a single reply to my polite requests for feedback :(

Thank you for the advice. I think, short of lying and adding things to my CV that I haven't actually done, I can't do any more than I am. I will just keep trying :)

As I said, don't take it personally, it is not anything you are doing. When I was redundant I had several jobs which I thought were perfect for me, I tailored my CV and sent it all off... and nothing. Not even a "thank you for your interest". I can get frustrating. The jobs I did get didn't sound great at first, but applied anyway, and they turned out to be great jobs for me.

So yeah, persever, don't take things personally and you will get there in the end.

In the mean time, if you find yourself out of work for a while (over 6 months I would say) try and fill your time with something else like studying or volunteering. Future employers can at least then see you are doing something with your time other than simply applying for jobs.
  • Options
    BlackmantaBlackmanta Posts: 463
    Forum Member

Afetr a year of applying and only 3 interviews I got a bit tired of all the pretending and grovelling.

I decided to overhaul my CV and sneaked a 'funny' line into the front page overview of my experience.

After the list of experience I added the line 'I also make an excellent cup of tea'.
    I got 3 interviews on the trot after that and was finally offered a job with the local council.
    They obviously appreciate a good cuppa.
  • Options
    Jason100Jason100 Posts: 17,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Blackmanta wrote: »
    Afetr a year of applying and only 3 interviews I got a bit tired of all the pretending and grovelling.

I decided to overhaul my CV and sneaked a 'funny' line into the front page overview of my experience.

After the list of experience I added the line 'I also make an excellent cup of tea'.
    I got 3 interviews on the trot after that and was finally offered a job with the local council.
    They obviously appreciate a good cuppa.

I found an old cover letter of my sisters recently which was an application for Lush. It was perfectly written, she also slipped in a similar line which was "I also make the worlds best brownies, which you will get the pleasure of trying if you consider for me the job" she worked at Lush for a year and a half.