Spotify draining battery

ihatemarmiteihatemarmite Posts: 5,605
Forum Member
Streamed Spotify (premium: offline streaming) yesterday for an hour in the gym. 30% drop in battery on my S5. The screen was on quite a bit as I bought a lousy case which makes it hard to change tracks and impossible to change volume without using the home button.
But 30% is terrible isn't it? I'm wondering if I have a dodgy battery. Phone is 3 months old.

Comments

• StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    The latest update also kills my LG G3.

I keep getting a message from lollipop itself telling me it's using abnormal amounts of battery even when the screen is off.
  • ihatemarmiteihatemarmite Posts: 5,605
    Forum Member
    I haven't got Lollipop yet on Tesco/O2.
    I'm wondering if I should buy a spare battery and swap it out, see if it does the same thing, if not then contact amazon and say it's faulty? I'm a bit clueless when it comes to this stuff!
    Forum Member
    I haven't got Lollipop yet on Tesco/O2.
    I'm wondering if I should buy a spare battery and swap it out, see if it does the same thing, if not then contact amazon and say it's faulty? I'm a bit clueless when it comes to this stuff!

It's not the phone that's faulty. Its doing it on my Mrs HTC One M8 as well.

A spare battery will help, but hopefully spotify fix it in an update soon.
    Forum Member
    just downloaded the latest Spotify update. (don't have auto update on).
    battery dropped 2% using it for 30 secs to add one product to an online tesco order.
    I guess just keep the charger handy that's all. So much for all the reviews about S5 superb battery life.
    thanks Stiggles, hope the Spotify update helps you out too. cheers.
    Forum Member
    sorry, won't let me edit.

Samsung Media Server listed as using 36% of my battery. Way the biggest culprit. I've disabled it and hope it doesn't affect the phone and also that disabling it helps.
    Spotify was at 11%, same as screen. I have screen to auto -2.
    Forum Member
    Bump - had to uninstall Spotify as media server drained my battery to flat from 50% in 2 hours. I ran the phone in safe mode (media server went to 19% of usage), then booted out of safe mode and uninstalled Spotify. Touch wood, battery now ok.
    However I'm a Spotify premium member and want to use it! Anything I can do? I'd updated it. Really annoying.
    Forum Member
    My battery drain was never as severe as that!!

If it is, you need to disable Samsung Push Service. It will ask you to replace it with a factory version before it will allow you to do it. Do it then disable it.

To do this if you don't know, go to settings > applications and at the top make sure you are on 'all apps'. Find Samsung push Service and disable it.

Then reinstall spotify as they updated it the other day and i am no longer getting the battery message.
    Forum Member
    many thanks - a bit different on the S5 but I had to launch app manager using the samsung launcher (i use Nova or google), then update all samsung apps before the phone would allow me access to samsung Push notifications, and turned it off.
    I've now reinstalled Spotify premium and will see how it goes. I'm not planning to use it today to stream music so today it'll be dormant.

The battery killer has to be either Spotify or the SD card (samsung 64GB) one I put in the phone to increase storage. SD card is now removed. I also don't know if i should have formatted it first before using it as didn't do that.
    If battery life is better without an SD card, I'll live with a 16GB phone.
    Forum Member
    Ok, seems apologies to Spotify might be in order as battery dropped just 7% streaming offline playlists (mobile data and wifi off). Media server isn't even shown on the battery usage.

So the culprit is the samsung SD card I installed. Bought it on Amazon. Can I return it as faulty? I've opened it and tried it and have no proof other than that it was a battery killer.