Options

Would you REALLY vote for a party that explicitly spelt out its cuts programme?

2»

Comments

• Options
    AnnsyreAnnsyre Posts: 109,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    ShaunIOW wrote: »
    Hahaha the manifestos aren't worth the paper they're written on - how many 'manifesto policies' have the current lot broken? http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/2013/11/pre-election-pledges-tories-are-trying-wipe-internet

£5bn from tax avoidance? maybe if he targeted the £35bn that's lost then he wouldn't have to implement the other cuts and have money left over - of course this would mean targeting his mates and party donors so won't happen.

Money is already being recouped from tax evasion.

The UK Government is getting tough with tax avoidance promoters, making potential customers aware of the risks of using them.

Under new rules introduced by David Gauke, the Financial Secretary to the Treasury, high-risk promoters of tax avoidance schemes must publicise the fact they are being monitored by HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) to make potential customers aware of the dangers of becoming involved in schemes that, very often, do not work.

Laws were introduced last summer, giving HMRC the power to issue Conduct Notices to promoters identified as ‘high risk’, imploring them to change their behaviour.

The new rules introduced this week mean if a tax avoidance promoter does not comply directly with the terms of a Conduct Notice, they can be issued with a tougher Monitoring Notice; resulting in HMRC publicly naming them and legally requiring them to inform their clients that they are being monitored.

Those who fail to comply with the conditions of a Monitoring Notice could then face fines up to £1 million.
  • Options
    ShaunIOWShaunIOW Posts: 11,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Annsyre wrote: »
    Money is already being recouped from tax evasion.

The UK Government is getting tough with tax avoidance promoters, making potential customers aware of the risks of using them.

Under new rules introduced by David Gauke, the Financial Secretary to the Treasury, high-risk promoters of tax avoidance schemes must publicise the fact they are being monitored by HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) to make potential customers aware of the dangers of becoming involved in schemes that, very often, do not work.

Laws were introduced last summer, giving HMRC the power to issue Conduct Notices to promoters identified as ‘high risk’, imploring them to change their behaviour.

The new rules introduced this week mean if a tax avoidance promoter does not comply directly with the terms of a Conduct Notice, they can be issued with a tougher Monitoring Notice; resulting in HMRC publicly naming them and legally requiring them to inform their clients that they are being monitored.

Those who fail to comply with the conditions of a Monitoring Notice could then face fines up to £1 million.

I'm aware of that, but lets face it a fine of up to £1m isn't really a threat to someone who has saved a company hundreds of millions in tax and been paid accordingly - I'd be more impressed if punishments were criminal proceedings, a mandatory custodial sentence for the guilty and being banned from the profession as much more of a deterrent otherwise its just like the punishments handed out in football where the fines barely amount to pocket money or daily fines limited in amount to companies that dump waste when they make 100's times more by carrying on and paying the fines.
  • Options
    RichievillaRichievilla Posts: 6,179
    Forum Member
    Hahaha the manifestos aren't worth the paper they're written on - how many 'manifesto policies' have the current lot broken? http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/2013/11/pre-election-pledges-tories-are-trying-wipe-internet

£5bn from tax avoidance? maybe if he targeted the £35bn that's lost then he wouldn't have to implement the other cuts and have money left over - of course this would mean targeting his mates and party donors so won't happen.

Indeed Shaun. HMRC's annual Measuring Tax Gaps report shows that tax fraud has risen under the coalition, so is yet another example of their failure.

As for Osborne and his £12bn of welfare cuts, he has been challenged by the IFS to reveal how they will be made. He is either too scared to tell people (other than Annsyre!!) or has not even worked out yet how he will do it, although we already know how useless the coalition are with keeping their promises on welfare cuts.
  • Options
    SpotSpot Posts: 25,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

In the case of the present government, two parties with different manifestos have come together as there was no outright winner of the election. They could hardly have implemented both as they did not agree in all areas.

The coalition agreement superseded the individual manifestos.
  • Options
    ShaunIOWShaunIOW Posts: 11,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Spot wrote: »
    In the case of the present government, two parties with different manifestos have come together as there was no outright winner of the election. They could hardly have implemented both as they did not agree in all areas.

The coalition agreement superseded the individual manifestos.

Of course they did - that is why the Tories couldn't put up tuition fees as the LibDems opposed it...oh wait...

Anyway, if you look at the list of broken promises most of them were things the Tories promised not to do, so need no agreements, they only needed agreements to do them.
  • Options
    GreatGodPanGreatGodPan Posts: 53,186
    Forum Member
    Annsyre wrote: »
    Osborne spelled it out.

No, Osborne did not spell out where the cuts are to be made - it is a major talking point amongst political commentators.

I can only assume you were watching a different budget speech to everybody else.
  • Options
    nomad2kingnomad2king Posts: 8,415
    Forum Member
    Where the cuts will be, is down to individual departments and not a matter for a Budget.
  • Options
    Dark 1Dark 1 Posts: 4,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Indeed Shaun. HMRC's annual Measuring Tax Gaps report shows that tax fraud has risen under the coalition, so is yet another example of their failure.

Well that might have a little something to do with redundancies and office closures at HMRC, all while simultaneously doing whatever they can to make it as thoroughly unpleasant of a place to work as possible for the poor sods left to deal with the consequences. Apparently, to a politician, imposing austerity cuts on the very department charged with bringing home the bacon, all makes perfect sense. There's obviously a bigger picture that us plebs are just too stupid to understand...
  • Options
    80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No one has promised a pain free recovery.

But a party of multi-millionaires assured us 'we're all in this together'.

The same bunch of born wealthy people who went on to make life harder for the sick, weak and needy while cutting taxes for their own rich types.

David Cameron is a repulsive liar. Iain Duncan-Smith is not fit to be called a human being. He is beyond evil. After watching this Tory lot over these last 5 years, nothing could convince me to vote Conservative EVER.
  • Options
    AndyCopenAndyCopen Posts: 2,213
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is a terrible thing, expecting the feckless to make a small contribution to their state funded upkeep. The sheer outrage at being asked to turn up and do some work, pure evil
  • Options
    1Mickey1Mickey Posts: 10,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wouldn't vote for any party that wanted to make that amount in cuts to welfare while barely touching those fiddling tax. You'd have to be a right piece of work to think that was the right thing to do.
  • Options
    SurrenderBillSurrenderBill Posts: 19,084
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AndyCopen wrote: »
    It is a terrible thing, expecting the feckless to make a small contribution to their state funded upkeep. The sheer outrage at being asked to turn up and do some work, pure evil

I've come to the conclusion that you either post to get a reaction, or you're Iain Duncan Smith. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and go for the first one.
  • Options
    BrokenArrowBrokenArrow Posts: 21,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1Mickey wrote: »
    I wouldn't vote for any party that wanted to make that amount in cuts to welfare while barely touching those fiddling tax. You'd have to be a right piece of work to think that was the right thing to do.

Its partly our responsibility for letting those tradesmen do the work for cash.
  • Options
    CELT1987CELT1987 Posts: 12,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pork.pie wrote: »
    I've come to the conclusion that you either post to get a reaction, or you're Iain Duncan Smith. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and go for the first one.
    AndyCopen only posts on here to insult benefit Claimants. He offers nothing towards the discussion.
  • Options
    SteganStegan Posts: 5,039
    Forum Member
    80sfan wrote: »
    But a party of multi-millionaires assured us 'we're all in this together'.

The same bunch of born wealthy people who went on to make life harder for the sick, weak and needy while cutting taxes for their own rich types.

David Cameron is a repulsive liar. Iain Duncan-Smith is not fit to be called a human being. He is beyond evil. After watching this Tory lot over these last 5 years, nothing could convince me to vote Conservative EVER.

Impossible for any right thinking, decent person to disagree with any of what you've posted there.

However, I was expecting to hear more from UKIP's Nigel Farage this morning on The Andrew Marr Show regarding their approach to welfare cuts but he wouldn't go into detail either. We may know more in the next few days, so we'll have to see.
  • Options
    SteganStegan Posts: 5,039
    Forum Member
    AndyCopen wrote: »

I fear you may have been watching far too many of those ludicrous Channel 5 benefits scrounger documentaries. If so, you will be guilty, along with others, of making the incorrect assumption that everyone on benefits is just like those featured.

Infact, I wouldn't be in the least bit surprised to discover that such programmes are sponsored by the Conservatives in some way.