17 and a double bed

kitten12kitten12 Posts: 3,505
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I am not so much seeking advice as maybe views?

My (just) 17 year old son has just taken delivery of a double bed. Up until now, when his girlfriend has stayed over she has slept either in the spare room, or more lately, on a spare bed in his room. I am not being naive, but I really do not have any idea whether they are sexually active or not. They have been seeing each other since August 2008.

My partner and I are now in disagreement about where she sleeps in future - one says she can stay in his room, in the double as there is no room for the spare, and the other says back in the spare room.

I am really in a qunadry.

Would appreciate some views or comments.

Thanks

Comments

• GaseousClayGaseousClay Posts: 4,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kitten12 wrote: »
    Up until now, when his girlfriend has stayed over she has slept either in the spare room, or more lately, on a spare bed in his room.

I imagine this was just for appearences.. come lights out they were in the same bed. Leave them to it I say the only difference will be the size of the bed.
  • sarahcssarahcs Posts: 8,734
    Forum Member
    Since August 08? Yes they are, and have been for ages. They probably assumed you knew.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 436
    Forum Member
    How old is the girlfriend if he is only just 17? Does he sleep over at hers? If he does .. where does he sleep?
    Forum Member
    sarahcs wrote: »
    Since August 08? Yes they are, and have been for ages. They probably assumed you knew.

Agreed
  • joopyjoopy Posts: 1,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My 17 year old son

They have been seeing each other since August 2008.

They're sexually active.
  • wenchwench Posts: 8,928
    Forum Member
    I am not so much seeking advice as maybe views?

My (just) 17 year old son has just taken delivery of a double bed. Up until now, when his girlfriend has stayed over she has slept either in the spare room, or more lately, on a spare bed in his room. I am not being naive, but I really do not have any idea whether they are sexually active or not. They have been seeing each other since August 2008.

My partner and I are now in disagreement about where she sleeps in future - one says she can stay in his room, in the double as there is no room for the spare, and the other says back in the spare room.

I am really in a qunadry.

Would appreciate some views or comments.

Thanks

They've been together for over a year and a half - I'm 99% sure they're having sexual relations by now.

I would consider it a bit mean to now ask her to sleep in the spare room if previously you allowed her in the same room.

But its your house and your rules so whatever makes you feel comfortable.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think between you and your husband u can decide whats best and stick to it - its your house, your rules and if he doesnt like it then he can go elsewhere.. i'm 31 in a few weeks and am about to move in with my BF and my parents will still expect us to sleep in separate rooms when we visit.. its ridiculous but its respectful ..
  • TinpotTinpot Posts: 2,731
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Either that or he's got the patience and self-control of a Buddhist monk - not to mention a serious case of blue-balls.
  • oscardelahoyaoscardelahoya Posts: 4,902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just let them stay in the double bed. They were more than likely sharing the single anyway and not using the spare bed, so it'll just mean they get a bit more room!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oh btw - who bought this double bed? Just thinking when i was 17 the last thing i wanted to spend my money on was a bed!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,442
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Agreed. They're at it like rabbits :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would hazard a guess that they are having sex, 17 is a pretty reasonable age to start being sexually active, especially if they have been together for a long time.

It's your house so it's up to you and your partner to decide whether they can share a room. However, if they are having sex then in my experience they will do so whether they are allowed to share the bed/room or not.
  • trevalyantrevalyan Posts: 7,705
    Forum Member
    My (just) 17 year old son has just taken delivery of a double bed.

initiative. i like that.
  • chiller15chiller15 Posts: 4,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I say let them be.

I started going out with my girl friend nearly 4 years ago, when I was 18 and she was 16, and it took about a year before we slept in the same room. I slept on the floor, regardless of who's house we were at, but after a bit we started sharing the same single bed, which was shall we say, a little cramped.

Now her brother has moved out and gone off to Uni, living there, so we have taken his old room and redecorated, and we have a 3/4 bed. It's so much better than being on a single or the floor.

They've been together for 18 months now, which is a long time at that age, so I'd say they're pretty serious. Letting them have a double bed would probably make things better.
    Forum Member
    Also, at that age it's quite a long time to be together so really is a serious relationship for them.
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    I was having sex at 16 but not in my parents house as they would not have allowed it.
  • silentNatesilentNate Posts: 84,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Better they are doing it under your roof than in the woods or the back of a van ;)
  • PhoebicaPhoebica Posts: 2,863
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with what most of the posters have said. If they're already sexually active they're not just going to stop because they've been banned from sharing a bed. They'll find some place else to do it or they'll sneak around at night.
  • stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd be a bit more worried that he's buying furniture while living at home at 17. It probably means he's not planning on flying the nest for a very long time...

But yeah. They're definitely having "the sex".
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If they're both old enough, let them get on with it. A sit down with a cup of tea and a chat about methods of contraception might be in order. No doubt they're already sexually active, given the length of the relationship but doesn't hurt to reiterate the importance of it all.
  • Babe RainbowBabe Rainbow Posts: 34,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stoatie wrote: »
    I'd be a bit more worried that he's buying furniture while living at home at 17. It probably means he's not planning on flying the nest for a very long time...

I think I'd be more worried about him if they WEREN'T, given the sleeping arrangements thus far :)
  • FizixFizix Posts: 16,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

To be fair I wouldnt be worried about a 17 year old not planning on flying the nest just yet, pleanty of people hold on that until they are in their 20's.

I did, partly due to going to college, doing a second course and then going to uni (which was local).

Most people I know moved out at around 21-22 tbh.

Anyhow, at 17, and being together for 18 months I'd say they are probably having sex anyway and its better they do it in a safe environment than to be pushed into doing it in less desirable places.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 337
    Forum Member
    Yup they are having sex. I'm 18 and my stepdad is adamnt that when my boyfriend visits (i'm away at uni atm) he is sleeping on the couch. I told be bf this and his response was "what does he think we've been doing for the past month?!" lol
  • slapmattslapmatt Posts: 2,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'd be more worried when he takes delivery of a cot.
  • clevergirl1clevergirl1 Posts: 273
    Forum Member
    I was allowed to have my boyfriend stay in my room, my parents attitude was they would rather me safe in the house than having sex in a park or something.

17 is legal to have sex and if they are having sex ( im strongly guessing they are) then they probably have had sex in his bed anyway.

Do they spend time in his room apart from sleeping ie during the day?