Options

HTC Desire Or the Desire HD

Comments

• Options
    jaycee331jaycee331 Posts: 2,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had made my mind up to go for the Desire HD as my next phone.

Now I'm totally confused :):confused:
  • Options
    j24j24 Posts: 3,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jaycee331 wrote: »

Join the club. This is why I started this thread but i'm still undecided. Think i'm just going to have to go and ty and have a play with each of them.
    I want a good camera on my phone cos I like taking pictures of the kids and stuff. But I also want a good one for internet browsing. But then the battery on the HD puts me off a little.
    :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,748
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Snap! I've been umming and ahhing over the Desire / Desire HD for a month! now I see the Incredible S and have to say that I think that trumps them both!!! too many choices!!
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Different screen sizes so for different tastes.
    My 3.5" screen is far too small for the HD is for me, and only if I had to choose. I'm not buying.
  • Options
    frankie_babyfrankie_baby Posts: 1,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    j24 wrote: »
    Join the club. This is why I started this thread but i'm still undecided. Think i'm just going to have to go and ty and have a play with each of them.
    I want a good camera on my phone cos I like taking pictures of the kids and stuff. But I also want a good one for internet browsing. But then the battery on the HD puts me off a little.

seriously the battery life is pretty much the same with the hds now pulled software update which even though not available easily should still be available on the internet somewhere
  • Options
    unklesamunklesam Posts: 1,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saishoyw wrote: »
    Snap! I've been umming and ahhing over the Desire / Desire HD for a month! now I see the Incredible S and have to say that I think that trumps them both!!! too many choices!!

Yes I have to agree the Incredible S is looking very good
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saishoyw wrote: »

Thank goodness it's not just me :D

I don't know if this thread has done me a huge favour or wish I'd never seen it ;)

The battery life is a big concern, I'm sick and tired of super-phones that can't last a day with a few hours data use. I want the bigger screen and processor of the HD for a nice bit of surfing on the train etc (subject to signal!) but then again it's pointless if it won't last the day out.

I've forgotten the source now but somewhere said that the HD has had a software update that made it's battery life comparable to the Desire - can anyone verify?

Anyone else played much with custom/hacked ROM's? I've spotted some over at XDA forums that claim to be specially battery optimised.

Yeah the next round of HTC phones have potential to own the Desire and the Desire HD... but isn't that always the case? They update every six months so if we wait we'd never buy anything. Plus I'm with Orange and they are always a bit slow on the uptake at getting the new handsets out... so a few months+another couple of months for them to hit the shelves... maybe I should just bite the bullet and get the HD on an 18 month contract.... agh!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    went into Carphone Warehouse today to play with both phones, but the guy wouldn't let me :( but I think it was because the was a dodgy guy lurking around in the shop.
    I'm getting that confused now I'm wondering whether to just go with the iPhone 4 :confused::cool:
  • Options
    brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've forgotten the source now but somewhere said that the HD has had a software update that made it's battery life comparable to the Desire - can anyone verify?
    There was a version with a bug that used up lots of CPU cycles and power. It's been fixed. My HD never had the problem.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The HD battery bug was fixed in an OTA release.

The incredible is NOT a replacement for the HD, it is a lower spec phone. :rolleyes:

All desire phones are nice, if you go for a desire get the newer model (it has some modest improvements).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've made my mind up, I'm going to get the Desire HD... I think lol!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I've done it and gone for the HD.
    A couple of things swung it for me.
    One, the HD has DNLA support for streaming to a DNLA enabled TV... and I bought a new telly before xmas that has this.

Battery issues, bugs etc can be ironed out by flashing an unofficial ROM which I'm willing to give a try if it comes to that. But not something I'll rush into unless I really have to.

Also, buying from Orange direct, they offer a no quibble 7 day handset return if you don't like it.... so here goes nothing!
  • Options
    lalalandlalaland Posts: 11,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mrvgarg wrote: »
    1.1 GB vs 1.5 GB - smaller but not much of a difference.

4 inch vs 4.3 - again a 0.3 difference.

Incredible S has bigger battery, lighter weight and front facing camera (great for skype and gtalk).

Overalll Incredible S is a better choice.
    I'm a Desire HD owner and I love it, but the Incredible S has me tempted to possibly do a swap, we'll see (it's the forward facing camera that tempts me).

However your dismissal of the memory made me wonder if you realise that the difference is nearly a 1/3 of the size of the memory? That's a 400mb difference, which is actually quite a difference on a device that has less than 2gb of storage. I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss it.

The two phones come down to preference as they are so close to each other with spec.
  • Options
    technoflaretechnoflare Posts: 2,550
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have just installed Juice Defender and Ultimate Juice. I am told they really help and have lots of settings to extend life. Gonna be testing it out over next few days.....
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 379
    Forum Member
    rosetech wrote: »
    Dont even think its better than the original desire. Specs point to pretty poor upgrade. Not even close to a HD.

It's almost identical to the Desire HD except for the screen. Desire S is 3.7", Incredible S is 4", Desire HD is 4.3".

The camera is 5MP on the Desire S as opposed to 8MP on the Desire HD, but with a cameraphone that difference isn't really relevant. Both do 720p video anyway. The Desire S also has a front-facing camera which the Desire HD does not, so that's a major advantage for some.

The Desire S comes preloaded with Gingerbread, while the Desire HD is still shipped with Froyo. Battery life is better on the Desire S.

So where exactly you formed the opinion that the Desire S is a poor upgrade that doesn't match up to the Desire HD, I don't know. But you're very much mistaken.
  • Options
    George7George7 Posts: 840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have the DHD and regarding the battery life it was quite poor at first. I read on one or two forums that it would improve with use and I'm pleased to say it did.

I think that one of the reasons that the battery doesn't seem that good is because the phone itself is excellent to use particularly browsing the Internet with it's 4.3" screen - it's hard to put it down! I was a little sceptical at first about the sheer size of the phone, but I have not regrets at all about buying it.

Re. the front facing camera: I've had one on a Nokia for years and never used it once. I suppose others may use it every day though...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My mobile finally gave up the ghost today so I contacted VodafoneUkDeals on twitter and they got me a deal so I could upgrade early. I opted for the Desire HD on a 24 month contract with 600 mins, unlimited texts and 500m of internet (which is fine for me) but then I have the wifi too all for £25 a month which is £5 less then I'm paying now! Comes monday :D:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's almost identical to the Desire HD except for the screen. Desire S is 3.7", Incredible S is 4", Desire HD is 4.3".

The camera is 5MP on the Desire S as opposed to 8MP on the Desire HD, but with a cameraphone that difference isn't really relevant. Both do 720p video anyway. The Desire S also has a front-facing camera which the Desire HD does not, so that's a major advantage for some.

The Desire S comes preloaded with Gingerbread, while the Desire HD is still shipped with Froyo. Battery life is better on the Desire S.

So where exactly you formed the opinion that the Desire S is a poor upgrade that doesn't match up to the Desire HD, I don't know. But you're very much mistaken.

Its nowhere near a desire HD its an upgrade for a DESIRE :rolleyes: I have read some dismissing the screen size on here - get real, of course it makes a difference. Forward facing camera - yeah that could be useful when Skype and GTalk get their acts together, but now its only useful for taking poor snaps of yourself :p The desire HD runs all versions of Android, upto an including Honeycomb :p Battery life is better because - wait for it - its not as powerful as a HD :D
  • Options
    HypnosHypnos Posts: 953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    HTC Incredible S will get updates for longer than the HD, with it being a new phone. If you dont mind rooting though that should be irrelevant.

I have an original Desire atm, the HD would be a bit too big for me. Had a look at the Incredible S today and it looks sweet, if I was upgrading soon it would either be an Incredible S or Desire S
  • Options
    swillsswills Posts: 4,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    went into Carphone Warehouse today to play with both phones, but the guy wouldn't let me :( but I think it was because the was a dodgy guy lurking around in the shop.
    I'm getting that confused now I'm wondering whether to just go with the iPhone 4 :confused::cool:

Nowhere near as good as the Desire, I know a few in I.T. who have sold off their Iphones, both 3 and 4 and gone for the Desire (not the HD version), they also liked the Galaxy too!

Only drawback I have is signal reception, poor area, not helped by location of smartphone aerials!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hypnos wrote: »
    HTC Incredible S will get updates for longer than the HD, with it being a new phone. If you dont mind rooting though that should be irrelevant.

I have an original Desire atm, the HD would be a bit too big for me. Had a look at the Incredible S today and it looks sweet, if I was upgrading soon it would either be an Incredible S or Desire S

But as with all things Mobile phone related, if you hang on for the 'S', there will be yet another waiting in the wings, that they say will be better, and so it goes on and on and on........
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My mobile finally gave up the ghost today so I contacted VodafoneUkDeals on twitter and they got me a deal so I could upgrade early. I opted for the Desire HD on a 24 month contract with 600 mins, unlimited texts and 500m of internet (which is fine for me) but then I have the wifi too all for £25 a month which is £5 less then I'm paying now! Comes monday :D:D

Knowing VF that will be 24 months on top of what is left of your old contract! I got stung by VF like that, they did not mention the extended bit when I agreed to replace a broken Magic.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    swills wrote: »
    Knowing VF that will be 24 months on top of what is left of your old contract! I got stung by VF like that, they did not mention the extended bit when I agreed to replace a broken Magic.

Oh no they did mention it. It's only two months and I need the phone now so not too bothered :)
  • Options
    Trickster999Trickster999 Posts: 1,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've made my mind up, I'm going to get the Desire HD... I think lol!

I've just got the Desire HD today. Also got £30 for my Nokia 5228.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 379
    Forum Member
    rosetech wrote: »
    Its nowhere near a desire HD its an upgrade for a DESIRE :rolleyes: I have read some dismissing the screen size on here - get real, of course it makes a difference. Forward facing camera - yeah that could be useful when Skype and GTalk get their acts together, but now its only useful for taking poor snaps of yourself :p The desire HD runs all versions of Android, upto an including Honeycomb :p Battery life is better because - wait for it - its not as powerful as a HD :D

Explain to me how it's not as powerful as a Desire HD? Both have the exact same processor (Qualcomm MSM8255 Snapdragon), exact same GPU (Adreno 205) and the exact same amount of RAM. They have the same resolution, so will perform identically on any benchmark you care to perform. I think you got confused somewhere, because there is literally zero performance difference between the Desire HD and Desire S (and the Incredible S for that matter). Also, as the Desire S has the smallest screen of the trio, it also has the highest pixel density, which makes everything look sharper and just, well, better.

I know that Desire HD can be upgraded to 2.3, but the point is that it's still an extra step that some people might not know to take, and that you don't need to take on the Desire S. Which makes the Desire S preferable to some.

Oh, and battery life is better because - wait for it - the battery is bigger (1450mAh vs 1230mAh).

One other thing I forgot to mention before - the Desire S uses better screen tech than the Desire HD (S-LCD vs LCD). That again is a win for a lot of people.