Options

We've had Robin Hood & Merlin , what next?

caz06caz06 Posts: 849
Forum Member
✭✭
questions in the title really? the bbc have said they have plans for a new saturday evening drama next year as a replacement for merlin, which itself was a replacement for robin hood, so i guess it will follow the similar syle of those 2 shows, clearly the audience is their for the correct show

Comments

• Options
    claire2281claire2281 Posts: 17,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They've commissioned a Three Musketeers show for 2014 which is described as an adventure so seems the natural successor.
  • Options
    Sniffle774Sniffle774 Posts: 20,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The adventures of Madame Vastra. :)
  • Options
    MoreTearsMoreTears Posts: 7,025
    Forum Member
    claire2281 wrote: »
    They've commissioned a Three Musketeers show for 2014 which is described as an adventure so seems the natural successor.

Yes, that project was announced to be coming in 2014 quite some time ago, and it is obvious as a replacement for Merlin now that we know Merlin is not continuing into next year.
  • Options
    SmintSmint Posts: 4,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So what's going to be Saturday evening viewing in 2013 then? They must have enough footage to play with that they could redo Merlin and this time, GET IT RIGHT ;)
  • Options
    lordOfTimelordOfTime Posts: 22,371
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Harry Potter the TV series. :D
  • Options
    NatarhiNatarhi Posts: 4,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lordOfTime wrote: »
    Harry Potter the TV series. :D
    I always thought that Harry Potter would have been better adapted as a TV series. We might need to give it a bit of a longer break since the end of the films though. ;)

I do wonder if they're either a) moving The Three Musketeers forward a year or b) lying about having a new Saturday evening drama next year. Otherwise they must have a new thing that will only be on for one year which seems a little odd.
  • Options
    Digital SidDigital Sid Posts: 39,870
    Forum Member
    Natarhi wrote: »
    I always thought that Harry Potter would have been better adapted as a TV series. We might need to give it a bit of a longer break since the end of the films though. ;)

I do wonder if they're either a) moving The Three Musketeers forward a year or b) lying about having a new Saturday evening drama next year. Otherwise they must have a new thing that will only be on for one year which seems a little odd.

Or c) they'll have two other Doctor Who timeslot dramas

Wishful thinking?

I think either a) or they'll air a one off Who spin-off for the 50th anniversary next year to bridge the two. It's pretty much been confirmed there's a Doctor Who animation series next year, the consumer panel were asked about it and someone asked to provide some of his work mentioned it at a con recently not knowing it wasn't announced, perhaps it'll air there? Not sure it's the right for that slot (probably CBBC) but it depends on the type and quality of animation.
  • Options
    paulschapmanpaulschapman Posts: 35,536
    Forum Member
    caz06 wrote: »
    questions in the title really? the bbc have said they have plans for a new saturday evening drama next year as a replacement for merlin, which itself was a replacement for robin hood, so i guess it will follow the similar syle of those 2 shows, clearly the audience is their for the correct show

Classic Literature provides many things that could be used as a replacement - but no doubt we would have heard things by now.

You could for example adapt Jules Vernes character Nemo into a long running series, but that would be fairly expensive - even with the lighter tone of Saturday Evening.

The Count of Monte Cristo equally could be stretched out to a series.
  • Options
    Ed SizzersEd Sizzers Posts: 2,671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    After 5 years of Merlin relegating female characters to either pantomime villains or characters who are 'strong', but essentially don't really do much, I'd like to see a female-led show this time out.

Young Boadicea, maybe? Or a Steampunk Victorian secret agent? :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 208
    Forum Member
    Owain Glyndŵr - & get Russell T Davies to head the project.
  • Options
    NatarhiNatarhi Posts: 4,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ed Sizzers wrote: »
    After 5 years of Merlin relegating female characters to either pantomime villains or characters who are 'strong', but essentially don't really do much, I'd like to see a female-led show this time out.

Young Boadicea, maybe? Or a Steampunk Victorian secret agent? :D
    Sounds good to me. :D

HeadLouse wrote: »
    Owain Glyndŵr - & get Russell T Davies to head the project.
    Well they do already film everything in Wales....;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,038
    Forum Member
    Wales France? Will the actors have bad French accents like an episode of allo allo?
  • Options
    saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think, as both Robin Hood and Merlin were both terrible artistic failures with little merit to speak of they should do the sensible thing and just hand the budget that they've been squandering on this sort of MOR drivel to Mr Moffat so he can better use it on the only Saturday evening family drama worth watching and the greatest show of all time (clue- its not Primeval).
  • Options
    SmintSmint Posts: 4,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Or perhaps get Shine to deliver another of their successes, stealing it away from ITV, and resurrect Demons

Another Johnny Capps and Julian Murphy creation

:D
  • Options
    TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It will be internationally-minded for sure.

So nothing daring or with a female lead.
  • Options
    CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There was talk of a Pirates of the Caribbean type show a few years back.

I'm guessing it never went further than the planning stage but it might be an idea they go back to.
  • Options
    Digital SidDigital Sid Posts: 39,870
    Forum Member
    I think, as both Robin Hood and Merlin were both terrible artistic failures with little merit to speak of they should do the sensible thing and just hand the budget that they've been squandering on this sort of MOR drivel to Mr Moffat so he can better use it on the only Saturday evening family drama worth watching and the greatest show of all time (clue- its not Primeval).

ROFL :D
  • Options
    owlycherriesowlycherries Posts: 2,384
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OP, I have often wondered about this. It would have to be something well known that could last several series.
    Pirates, as someone up there said^, could be a good idea.

What other legendary characters are there?

In your opinion. I loved Robin Hood and I love Merlin. So speak for yourself.
  • Options
    saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OP, I have often wondered about this. It would have to be something well known that could last several series.

I wouldve thought it goes without saying it is my opinion. The 'I think...' at the beginning of the sentence was the big clue
  • Options
    sovietusernamesovietusername Posts: 1,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Smint wrote: »
    So what's going to be Saturday evening viewing in 2013 then?

Well next years Dr Who's 50th Anniversarry so...
  • Options
    owlycherriesowlycherries Posts: 2,384
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldve thought it goes without saying it is my opinion. The 'I think...' at the beginning of the sentence was the big clue

Disagree. Let's assess your post.

Your lack of punctuation and poor sentence structure did not help the clarity of your post. After the BIB, there should be a comma. Therefore, the "I think" did not belong to your statement of "both Robin Hood and Merlin were both terrible artistic failures with little merit to speak of" but instead to the rest of your post, that is "they should do the sensible thing and just hand the budget that they've been squandering on this sort of MOR drivel to Mr Moffat so he can better use it on the only Saturday evening family drama worth watching and the greatest show of all time (clue- its not Primeval)" (which is, incidentally, far too long a sentence and needs a comma or two, or even be split up into two smaller sentences).
    So, what I'm getting at, is that you said "both Robin Hood and Merlin were both terrible artistic failures" as a statement, ie. fact. Which is why I said, IN YOUR OPINION.

:sleep:
  • Options
    paulschapmanpaulschapman Posts: 35,536
    Forum Member

They are what they are and you if you accept them for what they are then you can enjoy them for what they are. You certainly could not accuse Merlin of anything approaching Historical accuracy. After all the earliest reference to Merlin was in Geoffrey of Monmouth's Historia Regum Britanniae, written c. 1136, and is based on an amalgamation of previous historical and legendary figures. Geoffrey combined existing stories of Myrddin Wyllt (Merlinus Caledonensis), a North Brythonic prophet and madman with no connection to King Arthur, with tales of the Romano-British war leader Ambrosius Aurelianus to form the composite figure he called Merlin Ambrosius (Welsh: Myrddin Emrys).

Not exactly a servant to Arthur and is usually portrayed as somewhat older than the King.
  • Options
    AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would like to see something original. A teenage boy and teenage girl, each week investigating a mystery. Some would be supernatural, some extra terrestrial.

But my favourite idea is "The Loch Ness Chronicles".

A family in the Highlands know where and what the Loch Ness Monster is. They visit it regularly and then using the wisdom of the creature they investigate mysteries that occur around the area. It would be a fantasy adventure series.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not sure on the musketeers as its been done too many times.

I don't think anyone has done a TV show about a young Alfred the Great. It's an interesting story with him learning to become at first a monk in Rome and later to return home having to face Vikings invading. Ending up on the run.
  • Options
    Mark AMark A Posts: 7,692
    Forum Member
    Surely it's the turn of William Tell?

Regards

Mark