Options

Pacific Rim is so going to flop..

Comments

• Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hideo Kojima (creator of Metal Gear) loves it.

I can't see how you can go wrong with what a friend described as "Jaxx Teller piloting a mecha and punching Cthulhu in the face".
  • Options
    MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Given the backlash that Man Of Steel received because of all the casual mayhem in the third act, i wonder if this film which looks to have just as much carnage will suffer from that as well.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,482
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well it's RT score is dropping just like MoS did. That started quite high too, then dropped to "rotten".

(And yes, I know RT is the not the gospel of enjoying a movie)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Harry over at AintItCool had a geekasm for the movie and raves about it.
  • Options
    Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,328
    Forum Member
    MrSuper wrote: »
    Quelle surprise :rolleyes:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why are people expecting a typical trash Transformers-esque summer cheesy movie?

Cause Del-Toro is obviously known for doing such films...
  • Options
    Inky BinkyInky Binky Posts: 2,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The review on Hollywood Reporter says the film is terrific: LINK

Even if the film (any film really) had bad reviews I would still see this. :)

From the review:
    A better-and-smarter-than-average humans-vs.-monsters spectacular. Guillermo del Toro's paradoxically derivative yet imaginative sci-fi epic is everything that monster movies since the beginning of time might have wished they could be.
  • Options
    bingbongbingbong Posts: 2,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dmuk wrote: »
    Well it's RT score is dropping just like MoS did. That started quite high too, then dropped to "rotten".

(And yes, I know RT is the not the gospel of enjoying a movie)

There was a time the RT score was a good guide, not anymore, the concept of aggregating reviews in theory should give a good guide but over the last few years their scoring looks odd. How can an aggregated review score start high then go lower?
  • Options
    Residents FanResidents Fan Posts: 9,204
    Forum Member
    Why are people expecting a typical trash Transformers-esque summer cheesy movie?

Cause Del-Toro is obviously known for doing such films...

"Pacific Rim"- the "Transformers" it's ok to like? :D
  • Options
    TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bingbong wrote: »
    There was a time the RT score was a good guide, not anymore, the concept of aggregating reviews in theory should give a good guide but over the last few years their scoring looks odd. How can an aggregated review score start high then go lower?

It may be that the first few reviews are being less than honest.

Also, from the point of view of film critics, the quality of American films in recent years has been decreasing.
  • Options
    JCRJCR Posts: 24,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tassium wrote: »
    It may be that the first few reviews are being less than honest.

Also, from the point of view of film critics, the quality of American films in recent years has been decreasing.

Film reviewing is problematic since Rolling Stone magazine noticed that if they supplied a very positive quote for a film which was getting a ton of advertising, the ads would also in effect be plugging Rolling Stone.

Looking at the aforementioned Harry Knowles, there's no doubt he loves movies, but there's also little doubt he is a shill for the industry, providing wildly positive reviews in return for free films and perks.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JCR wrote: »
    Looking at the aforementioned Harry Knowles, there's no doubt he loves movies, but there's also little doubt he is a shill for the industry, providing wildly positive reviews in return for free films and perks.

I would say that is somewhat true to an extent, but i would also say that he is in fact a legitimate fan of Guillermo del Toro's work and has been for a very long time.
  • Options
    JCRJCR Posts: 24,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would say that is somewhat true to an extent, but i would also say that he is in fact a legitimate fan of Guillermo del Toro's work and has been for a very long time.

I'm sure that's true, I was at a Edinburgh film festival Guillermo del Toro screening/Q&A session for The Devil's Backbone many years ago, which was memorable for how enthusiastic he was; I'd imagine he's hard to dislike in real life.

But still, the amount of hype AICN gave to, say, Human Centipede 2- a film slightly harder to be enthusiastic about- suggests something is amiss there.
  • Options
    stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some of the reviews are very good, hope springs eternal.
  • Options
    Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    still note sure what to make of this film, tbh, the trailers look spectacular but don't really sell the story to me. We shall see.
    dmuk wrote: »

a rather premature comment based on fluctuations of a relatively small number of reviews. Currently it's 85%, but theres still only 39 reviews so it could all change.

Man of Steel opened high and just slid fairly consistently there on in.
  • Options
    PJ68PJ68 Posts: 3,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i always think (and i could be wrong) when review embargoes are lifted it's the geekiest mags etc which post their reviews online first. the ones who, shall we say, are probably going to be less critical, the ones desperate to get their reviews 'out there'. then a few hours later all the serious press' reviews start appearing so the percentage of good reviews drops...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The beefs seem to be the love story seems forced in (no way, a Hollywood action movie with a love story that doesn't need to be there? Shocking!) and some of the human characters seem cheesy and B movie fodder.

Now, I'm sorry, but this is giant monsters from another dimension fighting giant mechas. It's not trying to be The English Patient. I accept love stories are part of every Hollywood action movie but I am not expecting the most high brow discussions about the ecological affects of the ocean based portal, I'm not expecting a scene at the UN discussing how Kaiju are draining the planet and the tide is sinking worldwide, causing a water shortage but not reversing global warming. I am expecting monsters to be punched in the face and laser cannons. If this can provide that, great, I'm in. I want an 80 foot Guyver fighting Mothra and you can keep your debates about if they should be approached for diplomatic meetings and a seat in the G8 as far as I am concerned. Give me 90 minutes of mechas punching their fists through dragons and I'm sure I'll manage.
  • Options
    KarisKaris Posts: 6,380
    Forum Member

The popularity of AICN just astounds me. It's horribly biased with very bizarre reviewers who think swearing is an integral part of writing a review.

I'll never know why people place any trust in its reviews and Harry is the weirdest of the lot of them!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Karis wrote: »
    The popularity of AICN just astounds me. It's horribly biased with very bizarre reviewers who think swearing is an integral part of writing a review.

I'll never know why people place any trust in its reviews and Harry is the weirdest of the lot of them!

Because geeks vouch for geeks. Your average movie reviewer is less likely to be a Neon Genesis Evangelion/Guyver/Tetsjuin 78/Macross/Patlabor/Gundam/Appleseed/Gigantor/Godzilla/H.P. Lovecraft fan compared to the roster of reviewers on Den Of Geek or AICN. This is a live action version adaptation inspired by all of those series. It helps to know what you are reviewing came from to provide a greater context to the final product and your view on it.
  • Options
    MadeInHarryMadeInHarry Posts: 825
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not slating the movie, the movie could do well but not amazing. The movie is up against big movies DM2, Grown Ups 2 etc. I want to see this movie! But advising is terrible! The trailers have got better recently. The name is actually terrible.. if they had a more appealing name people would go and see it, they could name it "Monsters" or even "The Monsters from The sea" and more people would want to see it.. I hope this movie does well.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not really being a fan of recent robot outings - the whole Transformers franchise leaves me cold - i was pretty sceptical going in to this.

Surprisingly i loved it. It's the kind of film you expect a summer blockbuster to be. It's nicely art directed (the AD is clearly a fan of Blade Runner) and the battle scenes are impressive.

It's not without its flaws however. The dialogue and acting could be up for a few Golden Raspberries as both are on the ropey side.

And yet there's no denying its a fun experience. Del Toro also makes everything really quite beautiful, which you really wouldn't expect from this type of film.

It's also nice to see a film that isn't a re-boot of a story that we're all too aware of, so originality has to count for something these days.

It may not be a classic, but if you like the idea of robots vs monsters, you won't be disappointed.

Review here.
  • Options
    VoynichVoynich Posts: 14,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So not sharks with frickin laser beams but frickin huge ass shark monsters with robots.
  • Options
    Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,328
    Forum Member
    The name is actually terrible.. if they had a more appealing name people would go and see it, they could name it "Monsters" or even "The Monsters from The sea" and more people would want to see it.. I hope this movie does well.
    Are you serious? What hilarious rubbish.

"The Monsters from the Sea"?

Does it star Troy McClure?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not really being a fan of recent robot outings - the whole Transformers franchise leaves me cold - i was pretty sceptical going in to this.

Surprisingly i loved it. It's the kind of film you expect a summer blockbuster to be. It's nicely art directed (the AD is clearly a fan of Blade Runner) and the battle scenes are impressive.

It's not without its flaws however. The dialogue and acting could be up for a few Golden Raspberries as both are on the ropey side.

And yet there's no denying its a fun experience. Del Toro also makes everything really quite beautiful, which you really wouldn't expect from this type of film.

It's also nice to see a film that isn't a re-boot of a story that we're all too aware of, so originality has to count for something these days.

It may not be a classic, but if you like the idea of robots vs monsters, you won't be disappointed.

Review here.

To be fair it's monsters from beyond versus Giant Goddamn Robots. I'm expecting lots of "Hold on!", "Let's do this!" "I won't let you, we're getting out of here alive together!" stuff because it's par for the course for Hollywood action films.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IThe name is actually terrible.. if they had a more appealing name people would go and see it, they could name it "Monsters" or even "The Monsters from The sea" and more people would want to see it.. I hope this movie does well.

Inception begs to differ.