The Leftovers - Season 1 - US Pace (spoilers)

Comments

• GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,335
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I knew he was going to get mugged for the brass. I was willing it to happen, almost.

What did surprise me was how quickly he got the money back.

The dream sequence was excellent. Best epsidoe thus far.
  • Flash525Flash525 Posts: 8,862
    Forum Member
    It's obviously a mass alien abduction. :o
  • silentNatesilentNate Posts: 84,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gulftastic wrote: »
    I knew he was going to get mugged for the brass. I was willing it to happen, almost.

What did surprise me was how quickly he got the money back.

The dream sequence was excellent. Best epsidoe thus far.

That was brutal... I was cheering him on!! :o:blush:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can anyone explain...
    The people dressed in white found by the sheriff's son at the side of the road apparently causing a roadblock??

I'm well confused! :o:blush:
  • ItsTotesSoFluffItsTotesSoFluff Posts: 2,667
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    silentNate wrote: »
    Can anyone explain...
    The people dressed in white found by the sheriff's son at the side of the road apparently causing a roadblock??

I'm well confused! :o:blush:

They were the bereavement dolls we heard being advertised in episode 3. They're wax figures that people can buy to have a mock funeral.

Good episode, I really am liking this show even though its on the slow side, I quite like all the characters :D
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    They were the bereavement dolls we heard being advertised in episode 3. They're wax figures that people can buy to have a mock funeral.

Good episode, I really am liking this show even though its on the slow side, I quite like all the characters :D

Personally I think it would have been better if it had Christopher Eccleston's character as the main character rather than the Sheriff who so far is boring as hell.

I also don't like the people in white. Smoking is a rubbish idea for whatever they are meant to be rebelling against and the no talking thing wears thin.

I also don't like the idea that the people in white are some how on the right track. At best they are just a cult, at worse a bunch of nutters.

If this is really about the Rapture (something has definitely happened) then they need to show something mystical happening or they are just using it to entice us to watch but not really believing it themselves.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Here is a good review of the show.
    All of this worked far better in print than it does in a bloated TV adaptation. It's not that the story wouldn't make good TV; it's that in this version, it doesn't. It's confusing, slow-moving and often excruciating.

Broadcast television is consistently guilty of underestimating audience intelligence by telling us every possible thing about the characters and story in the first episode of a new show. Cable is usually better, and European television, in general, allows events to occur, and characters to evolve, in a more naturalistic way. That's the path the creators of the French zombie series "The Returned" followed, and it worked perfectly. The audience was given some information at the outset, but not everything. Our attention was hooked because we knew just enough to want to know more.

With "The Leftovers," we know very little and care less and less as the story slouches along.

http://www.sfgate.com/tv/article/The-Leftovers-review-Viewers-may-envy-those-5579684.php

BTW has anyone in the show said that they have actually seen someone disappear? Or did everyone go when they were not being watched? If they were seen did they just blink out of existence or didn't they fly up into the sky or did a white light envelope them?

These are the sorts of questions we should have had answered by now.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Ahhh.... that makes sense :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Quite a good episode. Gave us more insight into the GR. Thought the stoning was harsh but showed what people can be like.

I still feel the show stays too much on the Sheriff. He really is a boring character and his daughter is typical TV teen.

Christopher is always a joy to watch.
  • zwixxxzwixxx Posts: 10,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did I miss the ep where they follow the aftermath of all that photo stealing, cos iirc it happened LAST ep but in this ep there was no big :booo: from the rest of the population.

As for this ep, when she ('boss' lady) took her to that dinner for an all day breakfast I thought we were going to find out that boss-lady had arranged the killing cos the glasses-lady had lapsed and now boss-lady was going to do something similar to not-ex-wife unless she gave up the lighter (tie to her family) - guess I was wrong.

btw: is Neil the sheriff ? if not then who got the doggy bag of doo doo ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    zwixxx wrote: »
    Did I miss the ep where they follow the aftermath of all that photo stealing, cos iirc it happened LAST ep but in this ep there was no big :booo: from the rest of the population.

As for this ep, when she ('boss' lady) took her to that dinner for an all day breakfast I thought we were going to find out that boss-lady had arranged the killing cos the glasses-lady had lapsed and now boss-lady was going to do something similar to not-ex-wife unless she gave up the lighter (tie to her family) - guess I was wrong.

btw: is Neil the sheriff ? if not then who got the doggy bag of doo doo ?

The Sheriff did mention the break ins which I assume also included the photo stealing.

I also assumed Neil was the lady's Husband.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ^yeah I caught the Sheriff's mention but I was so sure the town would've been in uproar following that prolific pilfering of personal photos.
  • StressMonkeyStressMonkey Posts: 13,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zwixxx wrote: »
    ^yeah I caught the Sheriff's mention but I was so sure the town would've been in uproar following that prolific pilfering of personal photos.

There was a mention at the town meeting/

There may well have been uproar - the town's folk (and other police) aren't impressed with the Captain so perhaps he did little or nothing about the photos.

Still very much enjoying this.:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ...Still very much enjoying this.:)
    me too, continues to be a very solid quality show. :)
  • cheesebigginscheesebiggins Posts: 337
    Forum Member
    I'm enjoying the show a reasonable amount, although it's a bit slow paced for my liking.

The stoning part genuinely had me in tears of anger and disgust; so I suppose that's a testament to the power of the show.
  • Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm enjoying the show a reasonable amount, although it's a bit slow paced for my liking.

The stoning part genuinely had me in tears of anger and disgust; so I suppose that's a testament to the power of the show.

That was a very brutal scene. She didn't deserve that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I liked Nora's story. Made more sense than some of the past episodes.
  • big brother 9big brother 9 Posts: 18,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree the stoning scene was horrendous, I didn't think they would be allowed to show so much graphic violence.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I agree the stoning scene was horrendous, I didn't think they would be allowed to show so much graphic violence.

It's on HBO, the channel that gave us OZ, Game of Thrones, The Sopranos, Band of Brothers, Deadwood, Broadwalk Empire, among other graphic shows.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That was a very brutal scene. She didn't deserve that.
    But some people thought so and I guess in the coming eps we'll find out why.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Anyone seen Nora's story yet? I thought it was on of the better episodes.

The episodes are better for me when they don't feature the sheriff too much, or the GR too much.
  • jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    top five show for me this year!!!
    fantastic stuff, wanted to hug nora :(
    sorry getting all soppy here :D
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just watched the pilot and I must admit that I don't have much of a clue what is going on.
  • 2FS2FS Posts: 8,679
    Forum Member
    Unusual show. It meanders along, I don't really expect to get much out of it, then suddenly I'm at the end of the episode and find I've enjoyed it.
  • PrestonAlPrestonAl Posts: 10,342
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is weird. It's feels like a long suicide note. The last episode with nora at the end I was shouting her to hug him. Weird as hell this show.