What is that thing you are using to play music?

gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,610
Forum Member
Asked this by a lad (well lad to me, in his 20s) yesterday.

"It's an MP3 player" says I (actually I prefer to call such things a PMP as it plays other file formats too but did not want to confuse him further).

"Tiny, innit!" say he.

It is actually a Sansa Clip+ so smaller than an iPod but larger than a Nano.

Have the younger generations really lost the idea of playing music on the move on anything except their mobile phone? :o

Comments

• Harvey_SpecterHarvey_Specter Posts: 4,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gomezz wrote: »
    Asked this by a lad (well lad to me, in his 20s) yesterday.

"It's an MP3 player" says I (actually I prefer to call such things a PMP as it plays other file formats too but did not want to confuse him further).

"Tiny, innit!" say he.

It is actually a Sansa Clip+ so smaller than an iPod but larger than a Nano.

Have the younger generations really lost the idea of playing music on the move on anything except their mobile phone? :o

Possibly. I suppose a lot of people don't see the point in carrying different devices for different things when one will often suffice.
  • kizziekizzie Posts: 5,756
    Forum Member
    My granddaughter said to me "what is that" pointing at a phone box

If you have never had use of something why would you know what something is.

Why would the younger generation need anything other than their phones to play music these days?
  • Ben_CoplandBen_Copland Posts: 4,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kizzie wrote: »

Why would the younger generation need anything other than their phones to play music these days?

It's historical, will more than likely be on the syllabus in some years time.
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,610
    Forum Member
    There are several reasons I use a PMP

1) If it is lost or stolen (I use it in the work van hooked up to the radio) then it is cheap to replace and I not had any of my personal information taken;

2) Easier to Play/Pause by feel alone using a physical button rather than using a touch screen (I have modded mine by gluing an extra blob of plastic to the Play/Pause button);

3) Runs Rockbox which is the best music player software by several country miles;

4) Don't get calls / messages interrupting playback while I am out running;

5) The built in music player on my phone is crap especially when it comes to playing compiliation albums from various artists (just about to go hunting to see if there is a better one).

6) Get 15 hours of play on a single charge while not running down the battery on my phone.
  • Harvey_SpecterHarvey_Specter Posts: 4,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

1) If it is lost or stolen (I use it in the work van hooked up to the radio) then it is cheap to replace and I not had any of my personal information taken;

2) Easier to Play/Pause by feel alone using a physical button rather than using a touch screen (I have modded mine by gluing an extra blob of plastic to the Play/Pause button);

3) Runs Rockbox which is the best music player software by several country miles;

5) The built in music player on my phone is crap especially when it comes to playing compiliation albums from various artists (just about to go hunting to see if there is a better one).

6) Get 15 hours of play on a single charge while not running down the battery on my phone.

Oh...
  • Samuel_FinkelboSamuel_Finkelbo Posts: 614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    a guitar normally, but I can play the theme from The Great Escape on the spoons.
  • horsepillshorsepills Posts: 512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I think you really wanted to call this thread "Let me tell you all why I prefer using a PMP to a mobile"
  • MinnieMinzMinnieMinz Posts: 4,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why would they need a separate device when their phone holds all the music they will ever need. Not wasting money on a mp3 player makes sense to me.
  • Tiger RagTiger Rag Posts: 6,559
    Forum Member
    MinnieMinz wrote: »
    Why would they need a separate device when their phone holds all the music they will ever need. Not wasting money on a mp3 player makes sense to me.

Because of the battery life. The battery life on my phone isn't that great and the amount I'm out (and listen to music on the go) means I'll be lucky for my phone to last more than half - one day.
  • MinnieMinzMinnieMinz Posts: 4,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tiger Rag wrote: »
    Because of the battery life. The battery life on my phone isn't that great and the amount I'm out (and listen to music on the go) means I'll be lucky for my phone to last more than half - one day.

I can understand that, my battery lasts great but then I am office/portacabin based and can always charge it if need be. For those out for a long time with no charging abilities, I can see why it would suit.
  • sodavlacsodavlac Posts: 10,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kizzie wrote: »

Depends on what that thing is, how common they are, how old the person is etc. I've never used a gun but I know what one is. People get shot with them in wars, on the news and in tv/film all the time.

For the phone box example I'd be surprised if a teenager didn't know what one was. I'd have thought by then they'd have watched enough films/tv, seen photographs or read enough to know what one is.

MP3 players, well they were somewhat short-lived and wouldn't have appeared in media as much so I wouldn't really expect a child or a young teenager to know about those. Someone of 20 as in the OP maybe, seeing as they were popular when someone of that age was alive and aware of their surroundings. They were still big 10 years ago when that person would have been 10.
  • David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I still use an iPod shuffle 2gb (2nd generation - the smaller type) for in the car. Absolutely fantastic, simple little thing. Impossible to break, and never asks for an "update" before you can use it. Battery life is brilliant too. I leave it plugged into the car and the battery will still be going after 2 weeks (tho it does apparently take about 12 hrs to charge from dead - so it's an overnight charge).

I don't have a smart phone, I used to have a feature phone which had a music player built in - I even upgraded the memory card years ago. That worked well enough. The smart phone I did have was rubbish tbh, and there wasn't really any easy way to skip tracks etc without having to look at the thing and try and unlock it (2 hands required) and it's very poor touch screen meant this often required several attempts. The songs artwork looked good tho. Obviously the smart phone battery used to drain faster than a sink when playing music, which isn't ideal for either playing music while in the car/at work or for using the phone afterwards. The battery on my old feature phone lasted better than that but still nothing like as long as the iPod shuffle.

So, the advantages I feel are relevant to me in using a proper music player are....

Ease of use (actual buttons which can be operated one handed, no system crashes or updates to wait for).

Battery life.

Durability.

Safety - no issues with saved data, contacts, passwords etc etc if I lose the iPod (or its gets broke).

Go back to the early days of MP3 players, my original one was a Philips. Had a tiny LCD only held about 512mb but, as well as the in built rechargeable battery, it had a 2nd battery which u could fit an ordinary AAA pencil battery into. That was very good too.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to have a separate iPod to play music on but when i started missing phone calls it just became more practical to have all my music on my phone and there it has stayed.

But then i suppose i listen to music so much on my 6s, actually using it as a phone is probably 3rd or 4th on the list
  • Bedlam_maidBedlam_maid Posts: 5,922
    Forum Member
    I absolutely loved my little Samsung clam-shell phone. I often think about ditching my smart phone and going back to something similar. I'm not really bothered about music on-the-go but I do have a ipod touch if I was desperate.
  • Ancient IDTVAncient IDTV Posts: 10,166
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I still use an iPod Shuffle. I think I bought it in 2010. It's a decent piece of kit imo. My phone is just a cheapo PAYG jobbie, and hardly gets used. Mostly use the Shuffle in the summer, when I'm outside a lot more.
    Forum Member
    See post 5.

Actually at home I play the FLAC version of my music from my tablet through my hi-fi.
    Forum Member
    horsepills wrote: »
    I think you really wanted to call this thread "Let me tell you all why I prefer using a PMP to a mobile"
    I think it my duty to point out the advantages of doing that so others may see it as the better choice for themselves too. :)
  • David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In many cases individual task specif devices can provide a better user experience than a single multi-purpose device. The flip side is u need more than 1 device.

In fixed home hifi terms, a good middle or top end seperates system will give better quality audio than a more convenient all in one system, or one of the iPod dock type devices.

In cameras, a decent digital camera, possibly one of the slightly older compacts, or a current Bridge camera, and DSLRs provide better quality and more features than the camera on tablets or smart phones.
  • HeartacheHeartache Posts: 4,299
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I have a large collection of CD's which l can easily add to an MP3 player, no contest for me.
    Forum Member
    5) The built in music player on my phone is crap especially when it comes to playing compiliation albums from various artists (just about to go hunting to see if there is a better one
    Giving Loco a spin. The UI has a few rough edges which seems to arise from the author being Playlist obsessed but it has the feature of being able to make and play a Playlist from a given folder which suits the way I have my albums organised as one album per folder (with a subfolder for each disc if need be).
  • CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm using the man flute. It's only got one hole, but you get a lot out of it when you overblow it.
  • AnonimusAnonimus Posts: 5,670
    Forum Member
    I've got a Santa Clip (can't remember how much gig) but it probably still works.