Options

So has Clara left?

13»

Comments

• Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not that, it's just when the Doctor keeps picking up the companion and dropping
    her back home at the end of each ep, a lot of the specialness of travelling on
    the TARDIS goes away. It's like the Doctor is reduced to being somebody Clara
    can simply call on at will to travel with, which isn't how the show did it in
    the past

So what? A lot of things now are different to how the show did things in the past. Times change and the show changes. Having a companion who is an independent woman with her own life is a a good change.
  • Options
    Residents FanResidents Fan Posts: 9,204
    Forum Member
    LostFool wrote: »
    So what? A lot of things now are different to how the show did things in the past. Times change and the show changes. Having a companion who is an independent woman with her own life is a a good change.

But where's the adventure, though? Rose, Martha, Donna, and Amy spent
    a good part of their time with the Doctor staying on the TARDIS during their
    travels (so this isn't a complaint only classic series fans are making). And there's no reason this should interfere with their normal lives-having
    learned his lesson from "Aliens of London", the Doctor can put the companion
    home after six months in space but only a minute after leaving.

Also, this season, the Doctor was allowing random schoolkids into the TARDIS
    , whereas before he only let non-companions into there if it was an
    emergency. This season has really undermined the special aura the
    TARDIS used to have, and consequently made for a less interesting
    programme.
  • Options
    MulettMulett Posts: 9,057
    Forum Member

I have to agree with Residents Fan - I don't like the Amy/Clara style of companion. I don't mind the occasional trip home. It worked ok with Rose, Martha and Donna.

But, for me, dropping the companion home after every adventure adds a disconnect between the Doctor and the companion. It left me with a 'so what' feeling towards Amy/Rory and now Clara too.
  • Options
    James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    the Doctor can put the companion
    home after six months in space but only a minute after leaving.

That makes no difference you would miss your family and friends I want to see them everyday not once every few months or every few years again it comes down to The Doctor is more important to you than they are.

I wouldn't do that.
  • Options
    WillpurryWillpurry Posts: 2,768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That makes no difference you would miss your family and friends I want to see them everyday not once every few months or every few years again it comes down to The Doctor is more important to you than they are.

I wouldn't do that.

But its a fantasy, and its boring seeing a companions family and friends all the time.
  • Options
    Sara_PeplowSara_Peplow Posts: 1,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If she does leave I hope she gets a good send off. If she is pregnant with Dannys baby it will end with life not death. We could also get some very powerfull emotional scenes between Jenna and Peter if 12 is there holding her hand when she gives birth or even actually delivering her baby. Last thing he does for Clara is to make sure she and her child are safe. He even said himself last night he tries to help when he can. What better time then christmas ?. Danny,Junior for a boy Danielle,Holly for a girl.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Willpurry wrote: »
    But its a fantasy, and its boring seeing a companions family and friends all the time.

We don't see them though we've met her Dad twice we just know she does see him.

It's far better than knowing she hasn't seen or talked to him in maybe years
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

And the differences have a lot to with why NuWho can be so crap.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We don't see them though we've met her Dad twice we just know she does see him.

It's far better than knowing she hasn't seen or talked to him in maybe years

Repeat - its a fantasy - no need to indulge your apparent concern about her seeing her folks.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Repeat - its a fantasy - no need to indulge your apparent concern about her seeing her folks.

So it's fantasy so who cares if she goes home or not (It can be used both ways)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So it's fantasy so who cares if she goes home or not (It can be used both ways)

Because it makes it boring?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Because it makes it boring?

But it's fantasy (and you don't even see that part you just know she does it)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Incidentally, if you poke around online, the constant going home pees off quite a few people.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Incidentally, if you poke around online, the constant going home pees off quite a few people.

But why it's only fantasy.

They don't even spend much time on it The Doctor goes to pick her up and they go off on the adventure about a minute or so they would sped the same amount of time talking about it on The TARDIS before they set off if she lived on there.

And online people moan about anything

A lot of people don't like the fact Peter is old
    A lot don't like the fact he's got a strong Scottish accent
    and much more but they are still the minority most don't care either way.
  • Options
    haphashhaphash Posts: 21,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If she does leave I hope she gets a good send off. If she is pregnant with Dannys baby it will end with life not death. We could also get some very powerfull emotional scenes between Jenna and Peter if 12 is there holding her hand when she gives birth or even actually delivering her baby. Last thing he does for Clara is to make sure she and her child are safe. He even said himself last night he tries to help when he can. What better time then christmas ?. Danny,Junior for a boy Danielle,Holly for a girl.

Ugh - no thanks
  • Options
    liliroselilirose Posts: 10,204
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hope she doesn't leave yet. She is the best New Who companion imo and I want to see her back in Series 9.
    I felt that Danny Pink's character got in the way of some really special growth between Clara and the Doctor. Now that he is gone, ( and not one day too soon), seeing Clara with the Doctor would be more enjoyable. Peter and Jenna have great chemistry and 12 feels more like Clara's doctor.
    I don't know how they will explain Orson Pink but I would prefer it for Clara not to be pregnant.
  • Options
    star89star89 Posts: 24,162
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She still travels with him he just picks her up rather from call her from her bedroom on the TARDIS

I prefer it this way it's something I've wanted to see for a long time never understood why the old companions could just give everyone they cared about up so easily maybe not see or talk to them for months or years from their own POV

I agree. I understand the wonder of traveling on the Tardis but I wouldn't want to leave my family and friends behind.

I really hope Jenna isn't leaving as Clara has been my favorite since Donna. But I fear the Xmas special will be her last episode :cry:
  • Options
    MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i'm not sure if last or perhaps a hand over in the 1st ep of the next series would be thing so he drops her off for a final deep fried mars bar in Glasgow and then goes and meets someone else like the brigadiers daughter from UNIT and we have a few episodes since i think the cyberbrig teleported her (missy) to a UNIT secure unit but has escaped and thus we get her as a sort of companion to play plenty of old time quips and eventually we get the real one appear for a couple of series
  • Options
    Blackjack DavyBlackjack Davy Posts: 1,166
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of course she's not leaving. Not yet anyway.

They'll be reunited in the Xmas ep. Danny will be "rescued" as well. they'll be reunited and we'll likely see them skip off together into the sunset. Missy will be back too, although probably not until next season.

The only think I don't expect to reset to normal is Gallifrey, the doctor looking for it will probably become a major theme next season.

Not hard to work out.
  • Options
    bigheatherbigheather Posts: 694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Of course she's not leaving. Not yet anyway.

They'll be reunited in the Xmas ep. Danny will be "rescued" as well. they'll be reunited and we'll likely see them skip off together into the sunset. .

I think the biggest surprise in the Xmas episode would be if Danny didn't come back
  • Options
    bigheatherbigheather Posts: 694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    star89 wrote: »
    I agree. I understand the wonder of traveling on the Tardis but I wouldn't want to leave my family and friends behind.

:

Realistically, long before I started missing family and friends, the constant life-threatening danger and being surrounded by death and carnage, might make me change my mind about traveling in the Tardis
  • Options
    star89star89 Posts: 24,162
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bigheather wrote: »
    Realistically, long before I started missing family and friends, the constant life-threatening danger and being surrounded by death and carnage, might make me change my mind about traveling in the Tardis

A very good point.

The companions don't usually have anything to worry about though, the Doctor always saves them. Unless of course it's their exit story line lol :D
  • Options
    doormouse1doormouse1 Posts: 5,431
    Forum Member
    Mulett wrote: »
    I think it would be a great shame to start season 9 with Clara and then introduce a new companion half way through. Clara's story is done. Completely done. I'm a bit annoyed she's back at Christmas to be honest. A new companion would generate some real excitement around season 9 and give it a clear narrative from start to finish.

I would imagine Clara's reason for leaving the Doctor (permanently) will be that she is pregnant with Danny's child. Maybe that's the Christmas moment this year - Clara gives birth in some stable on the moon or something.

She really does need to be pregnant otherwise I don't see how Orson Pink from 'Listen' could exist. Unless the Doctor/Santa somehow bring Danny back (although Danny being alive again would be another reason Clara should leave).

Or in a barn on Gallifrey? :D
  • Options
    codename_47codename_47 Posts: 9,683
    Forum Member
    I think Santa will mend everything that needa fixing ay Christmas.

The Doctor and Clara, The doctor and gallifrey, Danny and life, river and life, rose and this universe, donna and memories, jack and his lust, amy and rory and the no reason for not rescuing them, Rusty and his quest. ....what else? ;)