Options

I actually liked Danny Pink

2»

Comments

• Options
    sandydunesandydune Posts: 10,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Danny Pink's character never seemed to be part of the dynamics of The Doctor and Clara duo.

When Missy told The Doctor about what was going on, with her plans.The Doctor seemed shocked as everything unfolded, like he was really surprised. I would have expected The Doctor to be unfazed and react differently but maybe there was a good reason for him to do so.
    From looking at the series I'm also wondering if Danny Pink's character was about being brave, a soldier that as a child learnt how to hide emotions. When Danny was with Clara, maybe he could be himself but as a viewer we didn't get to see that, we only saw brief moments of Danny and Clara meeting up for their dates.
  • Options
    towerstowers Posts: 12,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I liked Danny Pink - I felt sorry for him in the end - but the character wasn't strong and neither wars the actor, OK but not great.
  • Options
    Aarghawasp!Aarghawasp! Posts: 6,205
    Forum Member
    I wasn't fussed about Danny. Just a bit...meh.
  • Options
    bokononbokonon Posts: 2,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I couldn't really understand why everybody was getting so het up about him and assumed the hostility was just the usual fanboy aversion to the least hint of romance. Having said that I realised yesterday that I probably hadn't being paying attention. Cyber-Danny was definitely more wooden than metallic.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 179
    Forum Member
    The character of danny wasn't really developed and the sudden pathetic changes to soldier danny were never really underpinned and it came across more that he was either a bit of a dick or had personality issues.

The romance seemed forced and all in all he felt like he was only ever a plot device, i think due to this i really couldn't care about him being assimiliated.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 166
    Forum Member
    I think the good reason is that deep down he subconsciously remembers that it was the Doctor that screwed up screwed up his whole life by accidentally hypnotising/brainwashing young Rupert into becoming a soldier when he grew up, even though he was totally unsuited to it.

Good point...... other than the fact it was actually Clara, the so-called love of his life.

I like the idea of a character that actually stands up to the Doctor and is suspicious of him but just feel the execution was awful. The logic behind his motivations is laughable and the dialogue and delivery wouldn't seem out of place on Crossroads. We are led to assume that Danny is bitter towards the Officer "Class" because of some incident that led to Danny killing someone. From what we see though, it looks like Danny killed that child through his own actions and recklessness. An Officer might have ordered him into that situation (because, that's how the army works. You don't want to be put into that situation then don't join the army!) but Danny made the decision to open fire of his own accord. That is what we are told by the story/script. It just makes Danny seem like a spoilt, petulant child looking for someone else to blame for his own actions and lashing out at the Doctor who he thinks represents that.
  • Options
    broadshoulderbroadshoulder Posts: 18,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its funny how the straight males get so much abuse

I like the way he stood up to the doctor for being officer class
  • Options
    johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    An Officer might have ordered him into that situation (because, that's how the army works. You don't want to be put into that situation then don't join the army!) but Danny made the decision to open fire of his own accord. That is what we are told by the story/script.
    From what I recall from the clip, he opened fire immediately without looking and making the call for himself. He might have been 'only following orders', but the one thing the series makes clear is that he feels guilty for his own actions, he doesn't blame anyone else for them, and has never absolved himself for his responsibility. He blames the officer classes for turning him into the sort of person that he became though, and he doesn't want Clara to make the same mistake.

I have to admit though, having accidentally killed a child and been haunted by the consequences, I'm not sure teaching is the job I'd want to go into. Perhaps he was seeking to atone by helping other children...
  • Options
    frisky pythonfrisky python Posts: 9,737
    Forum Member
    saralund wrote: »
    I liked Danny, and I'm surprised there's so much hatred of the character. He was intended to be the still, moral centre of Clara's world - I didn't find it hard at all to see why she'd love him. But I think the part they wrote for him was a little subtle for Dr. Who, where most emotional connections are played for excitement and entertainment. He was an adult character in a schoolboy scifi script.

But I didn't like how they dressed him in those buttoned-to-the-neck pink shirts. He looked much better as a soldier.

I have to agree with this and that's probably why some people found his character boring.
  • Options
    Jules_ThornleyJules_Thornley Posts: 2,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kninemark2 wrote: »
    The character of danny wasn't really developed and the sudden pathetic changes to soldier danny were never really underpinned and it came across more that he was either a bit of a dick or had personality issues.

The romance seemed forced and all in all he felt like he was only ever a plot device, i think due to this i really couldn't care about him being assimiliated.

I have to agree with this. I think I am right in saying Rory was around for a lot longer than Danny. The relationship between Amy and Rory developed over time and was much more subtle in that sense and so when they departed it was so much powerful. You cared about the characters.

With Clara/Danny there was no hope of investing in that relationship- it all happened to quick. Danny was really used as a plot for Clara and ultimately this 'soldier, am I good man' thing with the Doctor. So I felt nothing for their relationship. It also increased my dislike for Clara. I prefered her bouncy nature with Matt Smith. In this series, she has just been plain old 'bossy boots', irritating - particularly considering the whole series seemed to be about Clara and less about the Doctor.

I had high hopes for Danny's character at the beginning but I was wrong. We must be seeing him again as Orson?