Options

Amstrad begin shipping Sky+ boxes

Comments

• Options
    cjgperscjgpers Posts: 1,768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alan sugar wrote:
    Switch it back on man. You are right were a bit too busy with the adverts, but now there are fewer and when you delete them they stay off
    I thought I'd noticed a lot less adverts lately. I also was close to switching my eMailer off, but the number of adverts at the moment is a lot more acceptable. Have to say that I never use my eMailer for email/web/etc., it's just the best value caller id phone around.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 142
    Forum Member
    NormanKing wrote:
    I'm not interested in receiving any more Sky channels than offered by the Family package but if there is a better value package available for the £29.50 I'm currently paying then I think it would have been nice if Sky told customers like me about them.

I am in the same boat as Norman family pack +£10 Sky = £29.50.

I have been to the website and the £10 fee is waived for taking packages 1a-6k buton the sky site these are not actually detailed. Can anyone enlighten us as to the full options available to us? I really would like the disney channels for the kids so if they can have these for free then cool!

Cheers everyone...

Update - Just phoned the nice ppl at $ky and upgraded to the £29 "Sky Sports 2 + Sky Movies 2 + Family Pack" package and saved 50p! Its madness!

Tony.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 159
    Forum Member
    You are right its a great Caller ID phone, but I am suprised you have never used it for email and the like. I know that most people think they dont need it as they have a PC, but if you look at some of the news letters we have sent you can see there are some new features on it like COPYMAIL. To make a long story short this changes the emailer into a kind of home Blackberry and you are able to get mail at home which was perhaps sent to your office or indeed to you own personal email address, the thing about the emailer is that you send a quick email and you dont have to wait or go through all the stuff of booting up the pc . Any email sent on the emailer will/can be be copied to your other email addresses if you use copy mail. Its a great tool and you will be suprised how much you use it when you cant be bothered to go and fire up the pc to see if you have mail or you need to send a mail.

Get using it cos in a couple of months we are going to launch a new version that will set this and many other forum's alight with all its new features. You will want to rush out and buy the new one.

Sir Alan
    cjgpers wrote:
    I thought I'd noticed a lot less adverts lately. I also was close to switching my eMailer off, but the number of adverts at the moment is a lot more acceptable. Have to say that I never use my eMailer for email/web/etc., it's just the best value caller id phone around.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alan sugar wrote:
    The simple answer is that I dont think you can dance at 2 weddings at the same time. There have been many decisions that we have made over the years.
    Do we go 8 track or Cassette Circa 1971
    Do we go Beta or VHS Circa 1979
    Do we go SKY or BSB SQUARIAL Circa 1986

I think the SKY product is poised to take the whole UK market and thats the horse we are ridding.
    However if they kick us out, which they can of course do one day then we may have to change saddles.

The whole of the satellite market, perhaps. But all those DTT and cable folks need a PVR too!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 319
    Forum Member
    alan sugar wrote:
    Switch it back on man. You are right were a bit too busy with the adverts, but now there are fewer and when you delete them they stay off, where as before like TV ads they came back the next day. So give it another whirl for month and see.

Sir Alan
    Didthat last night...they were still there this morning...her "indoors" is talking about sending it into space..any suggestions AMS??...lol
  • Options
    cjgperscjgpers Posts: 1,768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alan sugar wrote:
    ......I am suprised you have never used it for email and the like.
    Okay, getting a bit off topic, but anyway. Because it's a lot easier and cheaper to do emails on my HP-TC1100 TabletPC, which is wirelessly connected to my LAN, which is ADSL connected to the internet. Anything I do through the eMailer costs me a phone call, whereas I've already got ADSL, paid for.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cjgpers wrote:
    Okay, getting a bit off topic, but anyway. Because it's a lot easier and cheaper to do emails on my HP-TC1100 TabletPC, which is wirelessly connected to my LAN, which is ADSL connected to the internet. Anything I do through the eMailer costs me a phone call, whereas I've already got ADSL, paid for.

Re the Emailer which is a great caller display phone (was even better before they added the left hand menu onto the lcd display).

Re the use for email etc, the calls it makes are not just charged at the local rate and I can't find anywhere on the emailer website where their actually tell you how much the calls will cost or how often by default the emailer will make auto outgoing calls.

Advert downloads are free :)

Sir Alan,
    BTW, is the card reader "Chip 'n' Pin" compatible?

P.S.
    I shall plug my emailer back in tonight. I trust it won't display any more adds for adult chat lines....

Automan.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 15
    Forum Member
    B..b.b.but you bought out Sinclair and destroyed the Spectrum :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    First thing that happens when you put the phone back on after it has been powered down for a while is that after an hour or so it calls out and checks what version of software you have. Leave it a couple of days and it will upgrade the software automatically over night. As soon as you see a advert hold down delete button and it will go and wont come back unless the advertiser pays for it to come back in a week/month or so time.

Sir Alan
    macwomble wrote:
    Didthat last night...they were still there this morning...her "indoors" is talking about sending it into space..any suggestions AMS??...lol
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Noted ,but would still like to challenge you to a race as to who can get an email away quicker, your expensive box of tricks or the emailer.

Sir Alan

cjgpers wrote:
  • Options
    whiteswanwhiteswan Posts: 842
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thought this may be of info to some of you. This takes the emailer back to its virgin state - just out of the box.

Hold down the Hands free button and the Stop button, switch off at
    socket and back on again still holding both down then after 5 secs release.

Dave, Oldham
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Have any of the Amstrad boxes started appearing in Dixons/Comet etc.? If not is there a way of getting one rather than a Pace V2? I want to buy another Sky+ in addition to the V1 I have.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    You dont have to look up any website for cost, on the emailer every thing is on the screen as and when you do something that may cost money. You are right that adverts are down loaded at no cost to the user, of course. The card reader is chip and pin compatible, but we are still trying to convince the banks to make it more usefull. If you put your credit card in ( with a chip) and hit the surf button you should see it take you direct to the site of your bank.

Sir Alan

Automan wrote:
    Re the Emailer which is a great caller display phone (was even better before they added the left hand menu onto the lcd display).

Re the use for email etc, the calls it makes are not just charged at the local rate and I can't find anywhere on the emailer website where their actually tell you how much the calls will cost or how often by default the emailer will make auto outgoing calls.

Advert downloads are free :)

Sir Alan,
    BTW, is the card reader "Chip 'n' Pin" compatible?

P.S.
    I shall plug my emailer back in tonight. I trust it won't display any more adds for adult chat lines....

Automan.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Not sure that helps many people, in fact will/maybe cause the phone to start calling every night for the next 18 nights to go and pick up the various (up to V18) issues of software.

Not a bright thing to do, suggest keep well away. Only to be used if the flash or DRam gets stuck in ceratin state and you cant get out of jail.

Sir Alan

whiteswan wrote:
    Thought this may be of info to some of you. This takes the emailer back to its virgin state - just out of the box.

Hold down the Hands free button and the Stop button, switch off at
    socket and back on again still holding both down then after 5 secs release.

Dave, Oldham
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well if you look up www.fusiondigitec.com you will that Mr Rubery ( ex Founder of Pace) new company is going to bring one to the market in the next few weeks. The problem is it uses a EPG that requires the renting of some bandwidth and one wonders how long they will be able to afford to keep paying. The BBC 7 day EPG is I am told 10 weeks away. But the real story maybe is that the reason for the delay of the 7 day EPG is that many of the cheap boxes on the market will not be able to use it. So what has happened is that everyone ( except us) rushed like wild lunatics to make cheap free view boxes and they all went their seprate ways in design, and many of them are stuffed , The BBC are trying to satisfy as many of the makers as possible who have sold millions of kit into the market. Good luck to them I say. Its going to end in disaster. The BBC will have to in the end cast in concrete the EPG and say thats it folks take it or leave it. The makers who have millions of units in the market that wont be able to use it will have a red hot call centre line.

Watch this space for more fun.

Sir Alan
    sanderton wrote:
    The whole of the satellite market, perhaps. But all those DTT and cable folks need a PVR too!
  • Options
    whiteswanwhiteswan Posts: 842
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alan sugar wrote:
    Not sure that helps many people, in fact will/maybe cause the phone to start calling every night for the next 18 nights to go and pick up the various (up to V18) issues of software.

Not a bright thing to do, suggest keep well away. Only to be used if the flash or DRam gets stuck in ceratin state and you cant get out of jail.

Sir Alan

Hi Sir Alan

Its one of those useful bits of info that are worth writing down on a piece of paper and sticking in the box. Just in case u sell it on for example (and upgrade to the shiny new version u will release soon!)

Or in case everything goes belly up...............like you say!

Dave, Oldham.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Oh come on we never destroyed Sinclair after we took it over we made at least 3 new versions. It was just that all the kids grew up and wanted more. However if you buy a emailer for £29.99 in Dixons you will be pleased to see that we have released all the games again. Just press the games button and you can down load all the golden oldies. Yes and before some cynic mentions it, it costs a small amount for one day rent and slightly larger amount for a extended period. But its fun, and much cheaper that the games rental shops in the High Street.

Sir Alan
    Nifta wrote:
    B..b.b.but you bought out Sinclair and destroyed the Spectrum :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    We dont supply Dixons, but if you want one of ours call up SKY and insist on one of ours , its as simple as that you are the paying cutomer and they are there to please. In case the installer cant work out which is the Amstrad say you want the one with the ventilation slots on the top.

Sir Alan
    rct wrote:
    Have any of the Amstrad boxes started appearing in Dixons/Comet etc.? If not is there a way of getting one rather than a Pace V2? I want to buy another Sky+ in addition to the V1 I have.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This thread seems to have drifted to be the Amstrad Emailer thread.
    Was the CPC464 the PC that connected to a standard TV, looked like a black cased C64?
    I seem to remember a freind having one which worked well except the aspect ratio on the screen was wrong (too high). I can't remember which game we played, but planets were eclipsical!!
    Phil
  • Options
    Forum Member
    alan sugar wrote:
    We dont supply Dixons, but if you want one of ours call up SKY and insist on one of ours , its as simple as that you are the paying cutomer and they are there to please. In case the installer cant work out which is the Amstrad say you want the one with the ventilation slots on the top.

Sir Alan

Thank you for the reply Alan. I don't fancy my chances though, I remember how stupidly awkward Sky were when I originally got Sky digital not long after the service launched; I wanted a Panasonic box but they refused and insisted that I take "whatever the installer has with him" I ended up with a rather nasty Grundig. You are right of course it's only fair I get to choose after all I am paying for it! Getting them to understand this is the tricky part :rolleyes:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sir Alan,
    Now here's an idea! How about you selling direct to forum members (at a heavily discounted price, of course!). We wouldn't need installation etc (well some of us wouldn't!)

What's the chances!

Dave
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5
    Forum Member
    somebody asked earlier in this thread!

pace circuit boards are manufactured at an american multi-nationals factory in romania.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 15
    Forum Member
    alan sugar wrote:
    Oh come on we never destroyed Sinclair after we took it over we made at least 3 new versions. It was just that all the kids grew up and wanted more.

... they wanted more than the same machine yet again, just with a cassette player stuck on the side this time. They were after innovation, and naturally migrated to the Amiga and Atari ST.

Anyway, sorry, I was just being flippant. I was drunk when I wrote that last night. I know Sinclair would've just disappeared completely if not for the takeover.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The biggest inovation after we took over was that they actually worked and were not full of dry joints and with PSU's that blew up.
    Adding the cassette was a brilliant master stroke solved most of the returns problems with the incompatability with cheap shoebox cassette recorders with variable outputs.

Atari and Commadore had nearly gone skint by then

Sir Alan
    Nifta wrote:
    ... they wanted more than the same machine yet again, just with a cassette player stuck on the side this time. They were after innovation, and naturally migrated to the Amiga and Atari ST.

Anyway, sorry, I was just being flippant. I was drunk when I wrote that last night. I know Sinclair would've just disappeared completely if not for the takeover.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 342
    Forum Member
    Completely off topic now, but did you aquire the rights to the C5 when you bought out Sinclair? :D