Cost of Uni Fees in 1989

2»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Surely some people must have had PCs.

I had an Amstrad PC in 1989, but I was working and could afford it. Cost 400 quid. I recall my mate, who was a student, being really envious because he had to type up all his notes on his mum's old manual typewriter.
    "What do you want a computer for?" he asked.
    "Er, I'm planning to write a novel," I said.
    Nearly quarter of a century later, and I've got a rough plot outline. I might even write it down one day.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Spectrum was launched in 1982. By 1983, I had a few friends at Uni who had one. My brother had one too. I got a C64.

I don't remember any Word Processor programs though.

Locoscript!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Locoscript
  • pinkteddyx64pinkteddyx64 Posts: 2,467
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Spectrum was launched in 1982. By 1983, I had a few friends at Uni who had one. My brother had one too. I got a C64.

I don't remember any Word Processor programs though.
    And it is hard to believe that software such as Microsoft Word has existed since 1983! :eek:
  • RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wasting valuable memory/storage and game playing time? I think not. WPs only existed in my universe when work paid for the hardware.
  • janismjanism Posts: 261
    Forum Member
    I was in my second year of Bachelor of Education in 1989 - my fees were paid by my Local Education Authority and I got a full grant less than £3000 a year and then student loans started to come in.
    I remember handwriting my essays - can't imagine it now - have done courses since and just love the joys of copy and paste if something goes better somewhere else. No- one had computers - CD players were just getting popular.
    I now feel old!!!
  • jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    I just printed off most of my coursework (computer programming) on the Uni/Poly mainframe/mini printer.

Everything was paid for, including rent rebate during term time and income support/unemployment benefit during the summer months.
  • OvalteenieOvalteenie Posts: 24,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jra wrote: »

Everything was paid for, including rent rebate during term time and income support/unemployment benefit during the summer months.

And the students of that generation who enjoyed state-funded higher education are now the politicians imposing tuition fees of up to £9000. :mad:
    Forum Member
    Ovalteenie wrote: »
    And the students of that generation who enjoyed state-funded higher education are now the politicians imposing tuition fees of up to £9000. :mad:

Are you suggesting politicians are hypocrites. Well, I never. The same people who wanted to abolish private schools, but went there themselves and/or have sent their children there.

And needless to say, the vast majority of students who graduated in that time period, didn't go on to be politicians.

Anyway, I've paid my education/poly/university fees back multiple times in terms of taxation after graduation, so I'm not going to feel guilty about it.
  • OvalteenieOvalteenie Posts: 24,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jra wrote: »
    Are you suggesting politicians are hypocrites. Well, I never. The same people who wanted to abolish private schools, but went there themselves and/or have sent their children there.

And needless to say, the vast majority of students who graduated in that time period, didn't go on to be politicians.

Anyway, I've paid my education/poly/university fees back multiple times in terms of taxation after graduation, so I'm not going to feel guilty about it.

Yes that was the rationale for grants... That they would go on to be higher income earners paying back more tax over their working lifetime.

Now students have no grants, crippling fees and a high income job is much less likely. :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ovalteenie wrote: »
    Yes that was the rationale for grants... That they would go on to be higher income earners paying back more tax over their working lifetime.

Now students have no grants, crippling fees and a high income job is much less likely. :(

When more than 40% of school leavers go to university, it's unlikely that most of them would end up as higher income earners - there just aren't enough high income jobs in the country for that number of people.
    I read recently that one third of graduates are in unskilled jobs six years after graduation.
    Forum Member
    flobadob wrote: »
    When more than 40% of school leavers go to university, it's unlikely that most of them would end up as higher income earners - there just aren't enough high income jobs in the country for that number of people.
    I read recently that one third of graduates are in unskilled jobs six years after graduation.

Indeed, when it was a privileged few who got the grades to go to uni, it was easier to get a decent job afterwards, simply because not every Tom, Dick and Harry was able to go into further education, unlike nowadays.

Education qualifications are like gold. The more that is available, the less it is worth.

I have a degree certificate from the 80's when it was worth something, but nowadays it's as valuable as a bit of toilet paper.