Student, paying rent over summer for Uni house, parents want me to pay rent at home.

Comments

• bacchantic enigmabacchantic enigma Posts: 3,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's preparing you for the big bad world. :D

When you have accomodation and go on holiday, you pay for your holiday hotel but your building society or landlord would also still expect you to pay for your mortgage/rent even while away

£10 a week holiday accomodation ain't so bad :)
  • frisky pythonfrisky python Posts: 9,737
    Forum Member
    Xela M wrote: »
    I think it's completely unreasonable to charge your own kids rent especially if you know they have financial difficulties. My parents would never dream of asking me for rent to stay with them for any period of time and I'm 27! Likewise I would NEVER demand rent from any member of my family for staying in my house. In fact, my brother is going to be staying with me for the next 3 years (whilst he is at university) and I would never ask him for rent. That's the difference between family and strangers!

I disagree. My parents charged me rent as soon as I left school and that was to prepare me for the "real world" when I finally got a place of my own and had rent and bills to pay. It got me used to budgeting and also appreciating that in life you need to pay your way.
    Forum Member
    AfterToday wrote: »
    Hey, I am a student but I am home for the summer months. I have a house for next year but I have to pay summer rent, even though I cannot live their till September. It is £385 a month.

I am home for the summer, and today my dad drops the bombshell that I have to pay £10 a week to stay here. I told him I have budgeted and finding £10 a week and with no job is going to be tricky and he just tells me "this is such a little sum".

I asked him if I could pay monthly, and he states "No because it means I loose out a week a year" (:D oh man!)

Anyway, do people think he is being fair or a little unfair expecting me to pay rent In the summer while being a student?

Just to add, he does nothing with his life, we are stable financially, but this is nothing to do with his "hard work". I'd say he has not worked for a good 20 years properly. Though this has nothing to do with the situation, I just feel he is being a bit tight expecting me to pay to live here over summer.

If you are paying rent surely you can live in your student accom?
  • 1fab1fab Posts: 20,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just my opinion, and not saying I'm right, but my son's a student, and we would never charge him to live in his home with us. Not only that, we pay for his uni accommodation and fees as well. We can afford to, so we do it. It would be different if we had no money, of course, but we're very happy to have our son living with us. He's our number one priority.
  • Xela MXela M Posts: 4,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I disagree. My parents charged me rent as soon as I left school and that was to prepare me for the "real world" when I finally got a place of my own and had rent and bills to pay. It got me used to budgeting and also appreciating that in life you need to pay your way.

Although surely your parents - being your parents as opposed to strangers - would like to see you save up as much as possible whilst living at home and wouldn't want to treat you in the same way non-family members would treat you in the "real world". It would have been much nicer of them to have prepared you for the real world by allowing you to save money whilst living at home.
  • Xela MXela M Posts: 4,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1fab wrote: »
    Just my opinion, and not saying I'm right, but my son's a student, and we would never charge him to live in his home with us. Not only that, we pay for his uni accommodation and fees as well. We can afford to, so we do it. It would be different if we had no money, of course, but we're very happy to have our son living with us. He's our number one priority.

I agree. That's what my parents have done for me and I would do for my own child.

If a parent knows their child is struggling financially, why would they want to make his/her life even more difficult by demanding rent as if they were an uncaring landlord.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree. That's what my parents have done for me and I would do for my own child.

If a parent knows their child is struggling financially, why would they want to make his/her life even more difficult by demanding rent as if they were an uncaring landlord.

Yes, I don't see what the benefit would be to my son, if we allowed him to build up huge debts, while we sit here with money in the bank. He appreciates what we do, and we love to do it - I can't see anything wrong with that.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As this is Advice, my advice is to get a summer job.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As this is Advice, my advice is to get a summer job.

Not always possible, though. There is nothing in this area at the moment - all the students round here are struggling to find anything. Local shops are just taking on people they've had previous years.
    Forum Member
    Although surely your parents - being your parents as opposed to strangers - would like to see you save up as much as possible whilst living at home and wouldn't want to treat you in the same way non-family members would treat you in the "real world". It would have been much nicer of them to have prepared you for the real world by allowing you to save money whilst living at home.

I did save money. They asked for rent, I gave them £150pcm out of my £1200 pcm salary. I still therefore saved prior to moving as I still had £1050 pcm to spend on myself. When I moved out it cost me £240pcm just for rent, let alone bills on top. Their request for rent wasn't to cripple me so I couldn't afford to live.

The other thing as I said is it taught me about the fact nothing is free. That I had to contribute to the household budget because utilities, food, etc all need to be paid for.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not always possible, though. There is nothing in this area at the moment - all the students round here are struggling to find anything. Local shops are just taking on people they've had previous years.

live some where else for the summer, bunk on someones floor and get a job. do you not have a job to survive anyway. I know very few students who do not work. ( I live in a very student city) and have worked with lots of students most of whom are now in "proper jobs" and earning loads!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fickrick wrote: »
    live some where else for the summer, bunk on someones floor and get a job. do you not have a job to survive anyway. I know very few students who do not work. ( I live in a very student city) and have worked with lots of students most of whom are now in "proper jobs" and earning loads!

Do they work because they want to or because they have to? If they didn't have to, they wouldn't, probably, and why the hell should they?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I had all sorts of summer jobs, every summer from school to graduation, cleaning, offices, shops, factories, care, there's always something about, especially to cover permanent staff's holidays.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had all sorts of summer jobs, every summer from school to graduation, cleaning, offices, shops, factories, care, there's always something about, especially to cover permanent staff's holidays.

Things change, though. My son has looked everywhere for work, and there is nothing here.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fickrick wrote: »

I think that defeats the object of returning home for the summer to see your friends and family.
  • kimindexkimindex Posts: 68,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I did save money. They asked for rent, I gave them £150pcm out of my £1200 pcm salary. I still therefore saved prior to moving as I still had £1050 pcm to spend on myself. When I moved out it cost me £240pcm just for rent, let alone bills on top. Their request for rent wasn't to cripple me so I couldn't afford to live.

The other thing as I said is it taught me about the fact nothing is free. That I had to contribute to the household budget because utilities, food, etc all need to be paid for.
    Yes, I wanted to contribute when I went home from uni for the summer. I always worked (and it was also a period of recession). And I learned a lot at those jobs and made other friends.

It's what suits the individuals. There's no right way (not saying that anyone is saying there is).
  • dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,435
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because it is such a small amount £10.00, I still think your dad may actually just save it for you, until you go back to Uni and then give you it back.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,145
    Forum Member
    Things change, though. My son has looked everywhere for work, and there is nothing here.

I doubt that. It's just not easy to find. I started looking in may, I had 3 job interviews last month, got offered all 3. I see endless signs in pub windows around here for casual hour staff. You have to walk in and ask, push to be seen.

It's more difficult for those wanting a career, but Summer work is easy to find.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bazaar1 wrote: »
    I doubt that. It's just not easy to find. I started looking in may, I had 3 job interviews last month, got offered all 3. I see endless signs in pub windows around here for casual hour staff. You have to walk in and ask, push to be seen.

It's more difficult for those wanting a career, but Summer work is easy to find.

So you're calling me a liar.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yes, I and other friends used to work into places and ask - shops and bars etc.
    Forum Member
    kimindex wrote: »
    Yes, I wanted to contribute when I went home from uni for the summer. I always worked (and it was also a period of recession). And I learned a lot at those jobs and made other friends.

It's what suits the individuals. There's no right way (not saying that anyone is saying there is
    ).

Absolutely, if other families and individuals do it differently, and they're all OK with it, who am I to argue LOL. But when you first house/flat share and rent (as opposed to buying somewhere straight from living at home so you don't have to share) it bears you in good stead to pay your way like everyone else. Nothing grates more when a flatmate never contributes and expects others will pay for it (for example never buys the loo roll!).

As for the OP, I expect the £10 is a nominal fee just to prove a point.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Absolutely, if other families and individuals do it differently, and they're all OK with it, who am I to argue LOL. But when you first house/flat share and rent (as opposed to buying somewhere straight from living at home so you don't have to share) it bears you in good stead to pay your way like everyone else. Nothing grates more when a flatmate never contributes and expects others will pay for it (for example never buys the loo roll!).

As for the OP, I expect the £10 is a nominal fee just to prove a point.
    Yes, I was luckily never in a flatshare like that but I heard plenty of stories from friends who were. As if people expected the milk to buy itself etc.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I agree. You can usually find a few hours doing something here and there, usually by phoning up on the off chance, asking about and knocking doors rather than looking for job adverts.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kimindex wrote: »
    Yes, I was luckily never in a flatshare like that but I heard plenty of stories from friends who were. As if people expected the milk to buy itself etc.

My parents were always very generous towards me, and that taught me to be generous towards other people. The tightest person I ever knew was a flatmate whose parents had made her pay for everything. She was so mean, and would rather throw something away than give it to you.
    Forum Member
    I agree. You can usually find a few hours doing something here and there, usually by phoning up on the off chance, asking about and knocking doors rather than looking for job adverts.

We used to get field work, picking fruit for example. Back breaking hard work but there was an agency who would book you in for it. This was a few years back mind....