R.I.P. Joan Fontaine

2»

Comments

• Fergie86Fergie86 Posts: 7,961
    Forum Member
    Sad news that Joan Fontaine has died but 96 is a brilliant innings, she had a brilliant career, as shown by winning an oscar. R.I.P.
  • Jonny BullockJonny Bullock Posts: 265
    Forum Member
    I can't see how that scene explains why you don't like the film. I am curious what you consider a great film.

Rebecca was the first adult book I read, when I was 13, 63 years later I still love it, and to me and many others the film is a masterpiece.

Masterpiece? No, it shows how women were treated by their husbands years ago ... luckily that rarely happens these days. ;-)
  • LucyconLucycon Posts: 203
    Forum Member
    I can't see how that scene explains why you don't like the film. I am curious what you consider a great film.

Rebecca was the first adult book I read, when I was 13, 63 years later I still love it, and to me and many others the film is a masterpiece.

Agree with you Walter. Great book and film.:)

Masterpiece? No, it shows how women were treated by their husbands years ago ... luckily that rarely happens these days. ;-)

Have you ever actually seen the film, or read the book for that matter? :confused:

They both come top or close to the top of of the 100 best books and films of all time, so millions of people obviously love them both. The book was written in 1932, so women weren't exactly emancipated in those days. Note Mrs Danvers' obsessiveness towards Rebecca and Rebecca's possible sexuality - the lesbian theme there is way ahead of its time.
  • Walter NeffWalter Neff Posts: 9,188
    Forum Member

Glad to see you are in the minority regarding Rebecca. I am still curious what you consider a Masterpiece.
    Forum Member
    Glad to see you are in the minority regarding Rebecca. I am still curious what you consider a Masterpiece.

Tolstoy's War & Peace I read it when I was 14
    Forum Member
    Tolstoy's War & Peace I read it when I was 14

Have you read Rebecca though.

I was reading Boswell's diaries at 13.:cool:
    Forum Member
    Lucycon wrote: »
    Have you read Rebecca though.

I was reading Boswell's diaries at 13.:cool:

I have read it but I never liked it ... Boswell's diaries .. Wow! :)
  • woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hated the story and the book and as for the film ...... no comment!

This scene sums it up ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8nrkMFNvQ4

An excellent scene from an excellent movie based on an excellent book, IMO.
    Forum Member
    woot_whoo wrote: »
    An excellent scene from an excellent movie based on an excellent book, IMO.

The same scene from 1979. Just as great in its own way imo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2O7p7TDLMg
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lucycon wrote: »
    The same scene from 1979. Just as great in its own way imo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2O7p7TDLMg

Oh yes! I've only ever seen the 1979 version on Youtube as it has never had a DVD release (I think) due to copyright issues about music. This is very annoying as it is as good as the 1940 movie. Arguably, Joanna David fits the role better as Joan Fontaine was such a beauty that it was difficult to take seriously the idea that she was regarded unfavourably to Rebecca (although Fontaine did such a job of playing mousy that you could overlook her dazzling looks).
  • Scarlett BerryScarlett Berry Posts: 21,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gorgeous woman and I loved her in Rebecca..why oh why does any nice thread have to be hijacked by smart arses... I'm all for free speech but for those of us who didn't enjoy "War & Peace.. (an apparent epic of equality:confused:)let us enjoy Ms. Fontaine and her role in Daphne Du Mauriers sublime Rebecca.
  • Valene1Valene1 Posts: 1,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved a lot of Joan's films, especially Born to be Bad. What a bitch she was in that!

Many think it's shame she didn't reconcile with her sister but sometimes you have more in common with friends than you do with adult family members.
  • SloopySloopy Posts: 65,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gorgeous woman and I loved her in Rebecca..why oh why does any nice thread have to be hijacked by smart arses... I'm all for free speech but for those of us who didn't enjoy "War & Peace.. (an apparent epic of equality:confused:)let us enjoy Ms. Fontaine and her role in Daphne Du Mauriers sublime Rebecca.

There is little point in trying to project modern attitudes upon the story. As for the film, it's Hollywood, it's escapism - pretty depressing if we have to turn everything into a university thesis on subjugated wives.

Anyway, Rebecca is one of my favourite films of all-time. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sloopy wrote: »
    There is little point in trying to project modern attitudes upon the story. As for the film, it's Hollywood, it's escapism - pretty depressing if we have to turn everything into a university thesis on subjugated wives.

To say nothing of the fact that in the book, the revelation which forms the turning point empowers the previously meek wife and turns Maxim into the childlike figure. The second Mrs de Winter ends up the 'carer' and 'protector' of a weak and vulnerable husband.
  • Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,857
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Another true legend leaves us.

It's been while since I read her autobiography 'No Bed of Roses' but from memory it was a very entertaining read about her very interesting life.

'Rebecca' is one of my all time favourite films. :cool:

RIP, Joan.
    “I married first, won the Oscar before Olivia did, and if I die first, she’ll undoubtedly be livid because I beat her to it!"
    .......... 1978. :)
    Forum Member
    woot_whoo wrote: »
    To say nothing of the fact that in the book, the revelation which forms the turning point empowers the previously meek wife and turns Maxim into the childlike figure. The second Mrs de Winter ends up the 'carer' and 'protector' of a weak and vulnerable husband.

childlike figure?

He was terrified he was going to be hanged for murder ...
    Forum Member

fanks a lot ;-)
  • BungitinBungitin Posts: 5,356
    Forum Member
    Tough lot the De Havilland babes.
    Sibling rivalry aside, Olivia took on the studio system and won.
    Forum Member
    Sloopy wrote: »

Well said, and I still maintain that it is a Masterpiece! :)
    Forum Member
    Bungitin wrote: »
    Tough lot the De Havilland babes.
    Sibling rivalry aside, Olivia took on the studio system and won.

She did indeed, something that Bette Davis tried to do, and failed. Bette said of her friend Olivia, "She freed us from the shackles of studio serfdom."

Olivia has made a statement about Joan's death,

"I am shocked and saddened by my sister's death, and am grateful for the many kind expressions of sympathy,"

Sadly, a little too late. :(
    Forum Member
    Well said, and I still maintain that it is a Masterpiece! :)

Everybody has a different opinion about literature. I cannot stand Harry Potter and even though I have sat through all the films and tried to get interested in the books because my kids love them. I much prefer Lord Of The Rings and I have the original book which I read as a child and really enjoyed.
  • Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RIP. I enjoyed a lot of the films that she made. I like Olivia too. I also think their mother played a big part with regards to their rivalry, as I've read that she made it obvious that Olivia was her favourite.
    Forum Member
    Everybody has a different opinion about literature. I cannot stand Harry Potter and even though I have sat through all the films and tried to get interested in the books because my kids love them. I much prefer Lord Of The Rings and I have the original book which I read as a child and really enjoyed.

Yes of course, it would be dull world if we all liked the same books and films.

I have never read Lord of the Rings, because I know it would not be my type of book. Then again, I have never wanted to see Star Wars, and never will. ;-)
    Forum Member
    You can listen to a marvellous interview with Joan here, and she was obviously highly intelligent and articulate.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/archive/hollywood/10242.shtml