aldi medion-lifetab-e7318/

noise747noise747 Posts: 30,692
Forum Member
✭✭✭
My brother is looking for a tablet, it will be his first one, we noticed the lifetab will be sold at Aldi on Thursday for nearly £80. the specs as far as I can see looks fine for the price.

What do other people think of it?

Comments

• StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The most notable thing is the 3-year warranty.
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stig wrote: »
    The most notable thing is the 3-year warranty.

Thanks for the reply, yes the 3 year warranty is good. i suppose the only thing is to suck it and see.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 41
    Forum Member
    Just a few comments from the reviews:

The camera is not very good quality
    Can't be upgraded to the latest android versions
    Sound quality is poor
    Battery life is short
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just a few comments from the reviews:

The camera is not very good quality
    Can't be upgraded to the latest android versions
    Sound quality is poor
    Battery life is short

Thank you for the reply, sounds like my Nexus 7 apart from the not being able to upgrade and that cost £200.
    How short is the battery life? For £80 i am not expecting a top end tablet, but for someone who have never used a tablet before or a touch screen phone for that matter, I think it could be ok, what do you think?
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »
    Thank you for the reply, sounds like my Nexus 7 apart from the not being able to upgrade and that cost £200.
    How short is the battery life? For £80 i am not expecting a top end tablet, but for someone who have never used a tablet before or a touch screen phone for that matter, I think it could be ok, what do you think?

About 4 hrs battery life.
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Even the quoted batterylife of 4hrs is rather low, I would expect the actual life to be even lower.
    Battery life is an issue, it's very annoying to have to keep charging something up.

Also the resolution of 1024x600 is rather low for a modern tablet. And it's not just the resolution that matters but the quality of the display.

The Tesco Hudl is a far better spec device, although it's £99 of course. 1440 x900 IPS screen and 9hr battery. Processor is similar apparently.

http://www.tesco.com/direct/hudl-7-16gb-wi-fi-android-tablet-black/629-5239.prd?pageLevel=&skuId=629-5239

Refurbs available on Tesco Ebay site for £59

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tesco-Hudl-7-Lcd-Tablet-16Gb-Android-4-2-Webcam-Bluetooth-Quad-Core-Black-/291208596410?pt=UK_iPad_Tablets_eReaders&hash=item43cd628bba
    I have used a few tablets, the Tesco Hudl is pretty good for the money. Especially the refurbs.
  • neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another vote for the Hudl.
  • victorslotvictorslot Posts: 619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The choice of tablets is almost inexhaustible. You just have to decide how much you are prepared to pay and then compare those that fit the price. Long term you get what you pay for.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Now he have asked me about a blaupunkt we got at work, i have no idea as I have not really looked into it. I will have a look at lunch time.

Thanks for the info peoples and recommendations, I get the feeling that he do not want to spend too much on a tablet :)
    The Tesco one looks ok to be honest, I will have a word with him about it.
  • mac2708mac2708 Posts: 3,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I bought a 'refurb' Hudl from Tesco outlet on ebay for £59 and it was virtually indistinguishable from new.
    Even the box and packaging looked new and there were no marks/scuffs/fingerprints etc. on the device
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well he have gone for the Aldi one, i will have a look over the weekend, he can always return it I suppose.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • louise1966louise1966 Posts: 4,012
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well he have gone for the Aldi one, i will have a look over the weekend, he can always return it I suppose.

As long as he hasn't used it, set it up, input his details, etc. It has to be in resaleable condition.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    louise1966 wrote: »
    As long as he hasn't used it, set it up, input his details, etc. It has to be in resaleable condition.

Easy enough to put it back to default, he have dropped it off here this morning for me to look at, I will have a look later, I think it will be ok for him. i don't think I would be happy with it mind you. I am glad i got my Nexus 7, not that I use it a lot.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the £79.99 is a bit steep for such an old spec.

Tablets soon become boring anyway.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tassium wrote: »
    I think the £79.99 is a bit steep for such an old spec.

The Nexus 7 is still £200 and I got mine before Christmas.
    you are right about tablets becoming boring, the only thing i use mine for is Skype.
  • neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Nexus 7 is still £200 and I got mine before Christmas.
    you are right about tablets becoming boring, the only thing i use mine for is Skype.

Do you not use your phone for Skype?
  • alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member

Do they? Mine is used daily and had different ones for 2/3 years now
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    neo_wales wrote: »
    Do you not use your phone for Skype?

Sometimes i do, but mainly the tablet, I can stand it up on the table and use it that way,
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I had a look at this Medion thing yesterday while setting ti up for my brother.
    Screen is not that great, you hold it at too much of a angle and you can ot see it, sound is very quiet, but I will see about a app that may solve that.
    since it is a quad core I thought it would be more responsive.
    I know it was cheap, but to be honest I still expected a bit more. Still my brother seems happy with it, I suppose because it is his first one and he is not technical minded.

I do think that if he waited I would have been able to get something better for the same price or a bit more.

Still up to him.

thanks peoples for the help
  • Kaz159Kaz159 Posts: 11,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mac2708 wrote: »
    I bought a 'refurb' Hudl from Tesco outlet on ebay for £59 and it was virtually indistinguishable from new.
    Even the box and packaging looked new and there were no marks/scuffs/fingerprints etc. on the device

Did it come with a charger? My tablet has died and I'm looking at the Hudl now (thanks to your post) and I'm getting the option to buy a USB charger for £10.00.

TIA :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kaz159 wrote: »
    Did it come with a charger? My tablet has died and I'm looking at the Hudl now (thanks to your post) and I'm getting the option to buy a USB charger for £10.00.

TIA :)

I got mine new and it came with a charger.

The refurbs will probably come with a charger as well.

I assume you are buying one new from Tesco? Very bad of Tesco to allow the auto-suggestion of a charger to occur.
  • Kaz159Kaz159 Posts: 11,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I got mine new and it came with a charger.

The refurbs will probably come with a charger as well.

I assume you are buying one new from Tesco? Very bad of Tesco to allow the auto-suggestion of a charger to occur.

I'm thinking of getting a refurb one from the Tesco outlet so need to know it I comes with the charger.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kaz159 wrote: »
    I'm thinking of getting a refurb one from the Tesco outlet so need to know it I comes with the charger.

Right, it isn't all that clear at all. "Complete with all necessary accessories", what does that even mean?