Options

Best tablet c£200

Blood101Blood101 Posts: 56
Forum Member
I am looking for some help please

I have a budget of around £200 for a Christmas treat! :p

Looking for a tablet, uses will be surfing, watching movies through TV (so TV connectivity needs to be easy!) checking emails etc.

I have looked at Chinese models ie PIPO, MIMO etc as well as the Nexus 7

Anyone offer any advice please?

Thanks a lot

Stephen

Comments

• Options
    TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Hudl2 is getting good reviews, it easily matches any £200 tablet.

8.3" screen is a good size, not too big/small. And it's a powerful machine as well.

Only £129, but I suppose you can buy a nice case for it and maybe an 32GB SD card
  • Options
    seacamseacam Posts: 21,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes agreed, Hudl 2 is getting some good reviews for the price.
  • Options
    MandarkMandark Posts: 47,964
    Forum Member
    The smaller screen budget Samsung Galaxy tablets are worth looking at. Samsung doesn't shirk on tech and features in its hardware.

There's also the budget Kindle Fires but they are tied to the limited Amazon app store and Amazon services.
  • Options
    DiandalScotlandDiandalScotland Posts: 2,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cambridge-Sciences-16GB-3G-Bluetooth/dp/B009PM3QJ6
    What I'm and have been using for last 6 months as a huge phone and tablet and is awesome Unavailable at mo on Amazon but may get it direct from their website Cambridge sciences http://cambridge-sciences.com/
  • Options
    ffa1ffa1 Posts: 2,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I bought a Lenovo Tab S8 (Wifi only version) from Curry's for £130 a few days ago. There's also a potential VAT back claim which would bring the price down to £107.

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/ipad-tablets-and-ereaders/tablets/lenovo-tab-s8-8-tablet-16-gb-black-10076498-pdt.html (remember to use IPADTAB20 at checkout.)

https://lenovo-offers.com/uk/en/winter-vatback/

First impressions are pretty good. Very crisp screen, good speakers and decent camera. Text is a bit small. I think there's something wrong with the charger they supplied me as it was charging very slowly. Switched to using my Nexus 7 charger and it was a lot faster. Takes Micro SD cards but no HDMi out. The latter probably rules this one out for the thread starter.
  • Options
    ffa1ffa1 Posts: 2,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Price of Lenovo Tab S8 now gone up to £149.99 following Curry's removal of £20 off voucher code.
  • Options
    TheSlothTheSloth Posts: 18,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another vote for the Hudl 2. Bought one for parents and was so impressed I got one too.

Put the change towards accessories, such as the mini HDMI cable to make use of the HDMI connection (having said that the display is excellent in its own right). I watch BBC iPlayer, Sky Go and BT Sports on it and prefer it to my 5 year old Sony HD TVs!
  • Options
    clonmultclonmult Posts: 3,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whilst I'm a big fan of the Hudl and Nexus ranges, and getting a Hudl 2 is almost the "obvious choice", there's an assumption here that Android is the best option .... and whilst I like it, I'm not actually sure thats necessarily the case.

I picked up an (ex-display) Acer W4-820 at weekend and to say that its been a revelation is an understatement. I almost hate myself for saying this, but the Windows 8.1 interface works ruddy well on a tablet, and makes Android look like a Fisher Price design.

The only caveat is the size of the store, but as a device to actually use, I've been finding Windows 8.1 to be damnably good.
  • Options
    MicrokorgMicrokorg Posts: 2,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Get a second hand Ipad 4
    I got one on Gumtree... mint condition, with a years Applecare still to run.. £190
    I bought a Hudl 2, but took it back next day..
    I only wanted to play Asphalt 8 & Injustice, and it can do it, but they don't look as good as on the iPad & slighty laggy in places.
    Also the Hudl got red hot after a few minutes on Asphalt.. my iPad does not get hot at all
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7
    Forum Member
    I recently also wanted a tablet in this price range and being a bit of a self-confessed 'tech-geek' did plenty of research before I 'flashed the cash', I had certain spec requirements and I found in the end that the Samsung tabPro was perhaps the best for me for the budget I had set myself. While not the very latest in the Samsung line-up, the tab at least came out in 2014, the resolution was higher than the 'fruity' tablet, the screen size at 8.4 was bigger than the mini 'fruity' tablet, the price was cheaper and even though it was bigger it was still portable and light enough to take out and about.

The main usage for me was to watch media (mainly catch-up tv), as my TV recently went kaput, so I thought instead of laying out for a TV I would get myself a portable 'jack of all trades'

I would certainly look into getting the aforementioned tab as for the money it is very well spec'ed, also there are countless good reviews for it and it has won some prestigious awards.

I would not be tempted to get the first gen 'fruity' tab as the resolution is lower and the eye can tell the difference, as I found out when I went in to a shop to compare before purchasing the one I did (maybe an idea to do this before you purchase). I got mine from John Lewis online as they had a special offer, thus cheapest by far.

Hope this helps!
  • Options
    wendy09wendy09 Posts: 3,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    just got the linx 10 though they do a 7/8 versions. runs windows 8 full is very good for the money. theyre doing £50 - £30 cashback for old tablets from specific retailers ave cost w/o cashback is £160 / £90
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nexus 7 2013 edition.
  • Options
    LyceumLyceum Posts: 3,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wondering this myself.

The hudl is a no brainer but I'm after a 10" screen. So not for me.

Anyone recommend a decent 10" tablet in this price range.
  • Options
    bacchantic enigmabacchantic enigma Posts: 3,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another vote for Hudl2 from me

Iplayer inc downloads straight to Hudl, CH4 and 5 on demand plays great as does live TV, ITV Player, and Sky Go. Between that and MX Player I've got a full media centre on the go. Oh yes, radio is superb too.

I'm particularly in love this week with Sky News app, with breaking news sliding across the screen :-)

Also has a micro HDMI port for video straight to TV. Using my normal HDMI with a £3.99 micro connector from Wilkos, plugged it in and Hudl apps inc ebook readers were on the big screen 30 secs later.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lyceum wrote: »
    Wondering this myself.

The hudl is a no brainer but I'm after a 10" screen. So not for me.

Anyone recommend a decent 10" tablet in this price range.

have a look at the linx 10 if you dont want android. its a full windows 8 tablet. you wont regret it.

does everything you can on a windows desktop.
  • Options
    tony190tony190 Posts: 105
    Forum Member
    Another vote for Hudl2 from me

Iplayer inc downloads straight to Hudl, CH4 and 5 on demand plays great as does live TV, ITV Player, and Sky Go. Between that and MX Player I've got a full media centre on the go. Oh yes, radio is superb too.

I'm particularly in love this week with Sky News app, with breaking news sliding across the screen :-)

Also has a micro HDMI port for video straight to TV. Using my normal HDMI with a £3.99 micro connector from Wilkos, plugged it in and Hudl apps inc ebook readers were on the big screen 30 secs later.

So what is the difference between the Hudl and the Nexus 7 because when I connected my Nexus to my TV the Sky go app would not work saying it was incompatible with skygo
  • Options
    Young TurksYoung Turks Posts: 3,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tony190 wrote: »
    So what is the difference between the Hudl and the Nexus 7 because when I connected my Nexus to my TV the Sky go app would not work saying it was incompatible with skygo
    I

I don't think any Android phone or tablet would work with Sky Go as it is the poor limitiation of Sky Go not your tablet.

BT Sport nicely works on full screen but Sky being Sky and very limited it does not work, as they want to sell multirooms that's why they force their customers to small screens only.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wendy09 wrote: »
    have a look at the linx 10 if you dont want android. its a full windows 8 tablet. you wont regret it.

Aye, it does everything you can on a windows desktop, but at a quarter of the speed and with less games/apps than an Android device. Some of the Linx 10 models listed are also running 1gig ram, which isn't enough to run Windows at acceptable performance.

Although the big positive on Windows is that you get a much better browsing experience (my Windows 8 tablet running Chrome does a better job of browsing than Chrome on my N7!).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wendy09 wrote: »

I'd prefer android to windows. The app selection on windows is pitiful compared to android.
  • Options
    alan1302alan1302 Posts: 6,336
    Forum Member
    I'd prefer android to windows. The app selection on windows is pitiful compared to android.

But if it runs Windows 8 then you don't need to worry about how many apps there are as you can run an PC software.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alan1302 wrote: »
    But if it runs Windows 8 then you don't need to worry about how many apps there are as you can run an PC software.

Sad fact is that there just aren't as many applications available for Windows. There are loads of great touch friendly games on iOS and Android. Nowhere near as many on Windows - Windows Phone has exactly the same problem.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alan1302 wrote: »

So I'd have to install something like bluestack to run the android games and apps I wanted to use on a tablet.

Which seems odd when I could get an android tablets that does it without the need for third party software.

I don't want a laptop replacement. I won't be editing files and writing emails. I want to watch/stream films and tv shows and play a few games.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    clonmult wrote: »
    Aye, it does everything you can on a windows desktop, but at a quarter of the speed and with less games/apps than an Android device. Some of the Linx 10 models listed are also running 1gig ram, which isn't enough to run Windows at acceptable performance.

Although the big positive on Windows is that you get a much better browsing experience (my Windows 8 tablet running Chrome does a better job of browsing than Chrome on my N7!).

my linx 10 is quite zippy, and ive not had much of an issue with 2gb ram or running programmes/apps. i dont think youve actually handled a linx 10, youd be surprised at just how good it is. (has £50 cashback in tablet exchange)

windows has been streamlined (but still is full version) so it does work quite well with 1gb. (linx 7 or linx 8 - both have £30 cashback in tablet exchange)

to be honest this windows 8 has more in common with linux than the old windows 7 or xp.

true apps are minimal but they have all that i need. i suspect if linx and other windows 8 tablets make in roads at these cheaper price points the app market will change.

i did have android but dont miss it at all because windows is functional and linx is effectively a netbook / desktop too.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 38
    Forum Member

You can install android on Linx tablet as well dual boot with Windows 8.1 with access to both Google Play and Windows Store. :)

I got Linx 10", fantastic tablet for £159 but will get £50 cashback trade up my old Samsung Q1 UMPC.