Options

4OD changing to All 4 - what about Roku?

buglawtonbuglawton Posts: 1,258
Forum Member
✭✭✭
The 4OD app on Roku is really shown up by BBC iPlayer. No subtitles, no HD, few catch up programmes compared to 4OD web browser version.

I see that 4OD is being re-branded as All 4. No mention of Roku in the email I received though. Any rumours?

Comments

• Options
    gothergother Posts: 14,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    buglawton wrote: »
    The 4OD app on Roku is really shown up by BBC iPlayer. No subtitles, no HD, few catch up programmes compared to 4OD web browser version.

I see that 4OD is being re-branded as All 4. No mention of Roku in the email I received though. Any rumours?

4od is poor overall imo the programmes are flooded by adverts even the web based 4od service is piss poor.
    As for roku i'd imagine it'd be on there when it changes.
  • Options
    chrisychrisy Posts: 9,421
    Forum Member
    It's listed on the website mentioned in the email I just received. http://apps.channel4.com/app/4od/
    C4 wrote:
    Please note that All 4 is only on Roku 3, Roku 2 XS and Roku LT.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 355
    Forum Member
    It's not only on those Roku devices. all4 works fine on my Roku 1 . ( which means it will work on a Roku 2 )
    Since it works on the NowTV box ( 2nd generation LT 2400 ) it should work with all Roku devices made since then that already worked with 4oD .
  • Options
    ovbgovbg Posts: 1,451
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    buglawton wrote: »

Not a rumour but officially stated by Channel 4. The Network plans to continue upgrading all the existing STBs and mobile devices to All4 over the course of the year. They have not however given a timeline.

Interestingly enough, they have specifically mentioned this as specifically to existing devices which has 4oD, and have not mentioned any new devices will be added. Whether this should be read as directly meaning no new platforms will be added soon, is a matter of choice.
    Greyowl wrote: »
    It's not only on those Roku devices. all4 works fine on my Roku 1 . ( which means it will work on a Roku 2 )
    Since it works on the NowTV box ( 2nd generation LT 2400 ) it should work with all Roku devices made since then that already worked with 4oD .

It should be pointed out that no STB, including any Roku model, actually has the All 4 app as such. What they have is the 4oD app that has been rebranded to All 4. It is not actually the same thing. These devices will have the full All 4 app later this year.
    gother wrote: »
    4od is poor overall imo the programmes are flooded by adverts even the web based 4od service is piss poor.
    As for roku i'd imagine it'd be on there when it changes.
    Compared to the BBC iPlayer... yes. But then, there is not a single catch-up service anywhere in the world that beats the BBC iPlayer.

However... I would have to say that 4oD (opps... All 4 these days) is the 2nd best catch-up service anywhere in the world after the BBC iPlayer.

How many others are there that offers offline downloads, live feeds, 30 days catch-up, entire box-sets of complete seasons of shows that people still buy or subscribe to from other pay services, and all entirely for free. (and no, the TV license fee doesn't go towards All 4).

I can't think of any.

Granted, video quality could be better on some platforms. But although it is not 720HD, it is better than SD on some platforms. Yes, I would like to see Chromecast added, plus All 4 on a number of other platforms like the AFTV, PS4 and Nexus Player, it is still on a higher number of platforms than most other global players.

It's certainly not perfect, but I still think it ranks No.2 in the world outside of the iPlayer, which is not too bad going for the folks in the UK who take the top two spots.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ovbg wrote: »
    Not a rumour but officially stated by Channel 4. The Network plans to continue upgrading all the existing STBs and mobile devices to All4 over the course of the year. They have not however given a timeline.

Interestingly enough, they have specifically mentioned this as specifically to existing devices which has 4oD, and have not mentioned any new devices will be added. Whether this should be read as directly meaning no new platforms will be added soon, is a matter of choice.

It should be pointed out that no STB, including any Roku model, actually has the All 4 app as such. What they have is the 4oD app that has been rebranded to All 4. It is not actually the same thing. These devices will have the full All 4 app later this year.

Compared to the BBC iPlayer... yes. But then, there is not a single catch-up service anywhere in the world that beats the BBC iPlayer.

However... I would have to say that 4oD (opps... All 4 these days) is the 2nd best catch-up service anywhere in the world after the BBC iPlayer.

How many others are there that offers offline downloads, live feeds, 30 days catch-up, entire box-sets of complete seasons of shows that people still buy or subscribe to from other pay services, and all entirely for free. (and no, the TV license fee doesn't go towards All 4).

I can't think of any.

Granted, video quality could be better on some platforms. But although it is not 720HD, it is better than SD on some platforms. Yes, I would like to see Chromecast added, plus All 4 on a number of other platforms like the AFTV, PS4 and Nexus Player, it is still on a higher number of platforms than most other global players.

It's certainly not perfect, but I still think it ranks No.2 in the world outside of the iPlayer, which is not too bad going for the folks in the UK who take the top two spots.
    4OD offer offline access since when? This is a great move by channel 4.
  • Options
    ovbgovbg Posts: 1,451
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gother wrote: »
    4OD offer offline access since when? This is a great move by channel 4.

July 25th 2013.

They also added AirPlay support in November last year.

Prior to July 25th 2013, 4oD was not terribly good. They also lacked enormously in platform support back in those days.

They do have a lot of ads, yes, but still less than broadcast TV and to be fair, it is how they fund their operation.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ovbg wrote: »
    July 25th 2013.

They also added AirPlay support in November last year.

Prior to July 25th 2013, 4oD was not terribly good. They also lacked enormously in platform support back in those days.

They do have a lot of ads, yes, but still less than broadcast TV and to be fair, it is how they fund their operation.

I will give 4od well all4 another shot then thanks for update mate.