Yosemite - what a piece of ****

Comments

• Options
    ba_baracusba_baracus Posts: 3,236
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    steveOooo wrote: »
    when is 10.11 due out?

Nothing has been announced, but based on the past 2 years, October would be a good bet.
  • Options
    IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    According to the linked article Wi-Fi gets broken due to caching of some network info which is in incompatible formats between the OS versions. So if you have new and old OS Apple devices connected you eventually get this problem.
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It slightly looks like Apple now force people to upgrade kit to the latest firmware/OS install, just so you can maintain reliable Wifi.

However, if it is that rebooting all systems does the trick then not so.
  • Options
    ihatemarmiteihatemarmite Posts: 5,605
    Forum Member
    since yosemite install, I've got mega wifi problems. It drops out when I'm not in the same room as the router. Occasionally it drops out within 3m of the router. Multiple reboots seem to sort it but it's incredibly annoying. Is this something Apple are likely to issue a fix for, or should I take my mac (under warranty still) to have it checked over?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    since yosemite install, I've got mega wifi problems. It drops out when I'm not in the same room as the router. Occasionally it drops out within 3m of the router. Multiple reboots seem to sort it but it's incredibly annoying. Is this something Apple are likely to issue a fix for, or should I take my mac (under warranty still) to have it checked over?

Looks like there's a fix for this in the latest beta released yesterday. Hopefully it shouldn't be long until it's released to the public.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1886551
  • Options
    xmodz10xmodz10 Posts: 1,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is anyone having any problems regarding log in,

sometimes when i put the correct password in it wont let me log in, I have to restart and then it works
  • Options
    Forum Member
    thanks ba_baracus
    I haven't rebooted a computer as often since an old Dell I used to have in the 90s! Hopefully Apple sort it out asap.
  • Options
    BinaryDadBinaryDad Posts: 3,988
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only issues that I've encountered with Yosemite are that it often has issues when waking from suspend after leaving it over night or a few hours.

I have to log in, then the system often has to do some sort of re-boot and I'm presented with the login screen again. It's usually unresponsive to keyboard and mouse input for a minute or so.

I find that if I close Safari before leaving my mac, I tend not to have an issue with the input becoming unresponsive. With that said, I'd rather not have these issues at all. The machine ran perfectly ok with Mavericks, no issues what so ever.

Generally, performance is as good as it was before the upgrade. But these wee niggles tick me off something rotten.The 40 second boot time is also somewhat irritating.

But then - it's still only got the 4GB that originally came with the laptop in 2013. Maybe I should consider upgrading to 8.
  • Options
    IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's pretty memory hungry if it can't get around with 4GB RAM.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IvanIV wrote: »
    It's pretty memory hungry if it can't get around with 4GB RAM.

I checked Activity Monitor and it's only using about 2.5GB with ~650MB which is "wired" or used by the core OS. A quick experiment shows that Safari (and Chrome) use around 100MB for each tab that's opened (more if you have any actual content).

Oh...software update seems to be taking up 468MB too - which is errr...not good.

Opening Xcode with a decent sized project eats up memory, too. So for me, 8GB seems like a good amount to have. Erm..besides...I've already ordered the new memory.

But christ knows how much of that memory gets spammed to hell during boot/wake. I suspect that during wake, with Safari, the issue is that it's having to load and re-map lots of small chunks of memory. Perhaps I should switch to Firefox.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    battery life on MBPro retina is much worse too. Is that anything to do with the OS or rather age of battery?
  • Options
    wuffleswuffles Posts: 45,773
    Forum Member
    I'm still using Lion and this thread is really putting me off upgrading to Yosemite!D. Is it still possible to upgrade to Mountain Lion from the App Store?
  • Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wuffles wrote: »
    I'm still using Lion and this thread is really putting me off upgrading to Yosemite!D. Is it still possible to upgrade to Mountain Lion from the App Store?

Don't be too put off. As is normal in places like an internet forum (not just DS but generally) it is those who are having issues that are going to be more prominent than those who have none.

Personally I have had no performance issues with Yosemite. It is mainly the cosmetics that I have issues with.

Also at work we have hundreds of Macbooks that are going through an upgrade to Yosemite (somewhere north of 500 done so far :o:) ) and there have been one or two issues but nothing really serious. And nothing that we haven't been able to sort a work around for.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Might be worth pointing out that after installing 8GB on my 2013 MBP, the issues with it restoring from sleep aren't so bad. I still have instances where the keyboard/trackpad/mouse input won't register for about 30 seconds or so but it's nowhere near as bad as it was.
  • Options
    LushnessLushness Posts: 38,169
    Forum Member
    chrisjr wrote: »
    Don't be too put off. As is normal in places like an internet forum (not just DS but generally) it is those who are having issues that are going to be more prominent than those who have none.

Personally I have had no performance issues with Yosemite. It is mainly the cosmetics that I have issues with.

Also at work we have hundreds of Macbooks that are going through an upgrade to Yosemite (somewhere north of 500 done so far :o:) ) and there have been one or two issues but nothing really serious. And nothing that we haven't been able to sort a work around for.

Exactly, I have an iMac and a Macbook - no problems with Yosemite whatsoever.
  • Options
    !!11oneone!!11oneone Posts: 4,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The slow login issue is because of the sleep function. To conserve battery when it sleeps, it dumps the contents of the RAM onto the hard disk. Then when you try to log in, it has to pull it all back, which is considerably slower to do from the disk than the RAM.

There's a way to improve it:
    http://lifehacker.com/fix-your-slow-waking-macbook-with-one-terminal-command-1529779931
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SSD? And I saw this turd of an OS today. Good to see not just MS flushing the PC down the toilet.

Is it just me or is the whole world just saying "Can't do this technology lark" and wishing they had their Nokia 3310 back? What next, return of the fax? (hum to suitable tune).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    !!11oneone wrote: »
    The slow login issue is because of the sleep function. To conserve battery when it sleeps, it dumps the contents of the RAM onto the hard disk. Then when you try to log in, it has to pull it all back, which is considerably slower to do from the disk than the RAM.

http://lifehacker.com/fix-your-slow-waking-macbook-with-one-terminal-command-1529779931

I'm trying not to sound pithy or arrogant here but as a sw engineer, I do know this :) I appreciate you trying to help though.

This was never an issue with Mavericks or if it was, it wasn't as bad. The main culprit seems to be the web browser, which has horrible memory usage - not just in terms of the amount of memory but also how it allocates it from the system. All the big names (Safari, Opera, Chrome) are based on Webkit and they all cause issues with waking from sleep.

I'm going to give Firefox a test this evening and see how quickly it wakes from sleep.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

10.10.4 is now out and should hopefully resolve wifi and wake from sleep issues.

http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/apple-releases-os-x-10-10-4-with-discoveryd-process-removal.1896164/
  • Options
    FaustFaust Posts: 8,985
    Forum Member

TBH this is the first time I have read about this alleged WiFi issue. There again I always use a wired connection for my iMac so fortunately for me this is not an issue.
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    !!11oneone wrote: »

You seem to be describing hibernate, not sleep. Sleep is meant to maintain the Ram whilst hibernate is the one that empties it.
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm surprised at this thread. I always thought Apple were regarded as some kind of corporate deity by their faithful and that their products were divine objects, to be slavishly worshipped by their devout followers.
  • Options
    standinmanstandinman Posts: 191
    Forum Member
    I like Yosemite ,yes there are some of us out there ,its working very well for me better that MAVERICKS and i am looking forward to the new os in September ,and yes some of us do find a delight not like dreadful windows 8
  • Options
    Fried KickinFried Kickin Posts: 60,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    standinman wrote: »
    I like Yosemite ,yes there are some of us out there ,its working very well for me better that MAVERICKS and i am looking forward to the new os in September ,and yes some of us do find a delight not like dreadful windows 8
    Lol you just couldn't resist could you. :p