Options

Quintessentially English and British food items as gifts - advice please

Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge Posts: 16,645
Forum Member
✭✭
Hello everyone.

I am going to Texas for a holiday in a couple of months and I would like to take some gifts to my Texan friend's Texan friends who I will be meeting. Almost all have not been to the UK before. I am really looking forward to meeting them (I have spoken to a few of them on the phone and they are so sweet) and I know that I will be hanging out with them and some will even be looking after me, so I would like to take with me some nice food items to them as gifts.

I spoke to one of my friend's friends, I asked him if he likes English tea. He said he's never tried it! So that's given me one idea. But, as someone who hates tea I do not not which tea brands are nice. PG Tipps? Twingings? Tetley? something else?

Also, I am thinking to take a tin or two of shortbread biscuits. Where should I get those from? Marks and Spencer? Harrods?

And…this is where my mind has drawn a blank! I can't think of anything else at all. Please give me some ideas.

Comments

• Options
    postitpostit Posts: 23,839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I lived in neighbouring Oklahoma for 5 years. Their idea of tea is very sifferent to ours. Very few take it hot and it's like something the cat produced, so I'd think twice about tea.

One thing that always went down well when I came home for a holiday was Thornton's block toffee (sold with a tiny hammer), because their confectionary is largely bloody awful.
  • Options
    Summer BreezeSummer Breeze Posts: 4,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I sent a hamper abroad once that was all about Yorkshire.
    Every food item was made in Yorkshire.
    It was for an ex pat we know who was Yorkshire born and bred for most of his life.

Can you do something that is a tribute to the area that you come from?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    postit wrote: »
    I lived in neighbouring Oklahoma for 5 years. Their idea of tea is very sifferent to ours. Very few take it hot and it's like something the cat produced, so I'd think twice about tea.

One thing that always went down well when I came home for a holiday was Thornton's block toffee (sold with a tiny hammer), because their confectionary is largely bloody awful.

Yep, so I have heard. I have already been advised to bring some chocolate…maybe some assorted Cadburys and Nestlé bars. And thank you, you have given me the idea to bring some toffees!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I sent a hamper abroad once that was all about Yorkshire.
    Every food item was made in Yorkshire.
    It was for an ex pat we know who was Yorkshire born and bred for most of his life.

Can you do something that is a tribute to the area that you come from?

I can't think of anything edible specifically from London.
    Your hamper sounds interesting, what did you put in it?
  • Options
    Smithy1204Smithy1204 Posts: 4,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Personally I'd go for Tetley, but I think any of those you mentioned would be fine - it's probably down to personal preference more than anything, but they're all well known and popular brands!

Shortbread biscuits is a good one. Again, can't offer much help as to where (sorry, this is not a helpful post!), but Walkers shortbread is pretty popular, and you can get that in a lot of places, so maybe worth considering?

As for other suggestions...

Some traditional English scones maybe? You could get a few little pots of jam to go with them and provide a kind of 'cream tea' (although I realise transferring the cream part wouldn't be very practical...)

Marmite?
    Might sound silly, but how about baked beans?
    Some 'proper' English chocolates? (Thorntons? Or just any of the popular things we have here I guess!) (Edit: Posted too slowly, I see you've already thought of this!)
    Jelly Babies?
  • Options
    Rufus KnightsRufus Knights Posts: 3,142
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Scottish tablet.
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Coconut Ice,Parma Violets and Rhubarb and Custard.
    Packet gravy is always popular
    Custard Creams.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Smithy1204 wrote: »
    Personally I'd go for Tetley, but I think any of those you mentioned would be fine - it's probably down to personal preference more than anything, but they're all well known and popular brands!

Shortbread biscuits is a good one. Again, can't offer much help as to where (sorry, this is not a helpful post!), but Walkers shortbread is pretty popular, and you can get that in a lot of places, so maybe worth considering?

As for other suggestions...

Some traditional English scones maybe? You could get a few little pots of jam to go with them and provide a kind of 'cream tea' (although I realise transferring the cream part wouldn't be very practical...)

Marmite?
    Might sound silly, but how about baked beans?
    Some 'proper' English chocolates? (Thorntons? Or just any of the popular things we have here I guess!) (Edit: Posted too slowly, I see you've already thought of this!)
    Jelly Babies?
    Marmite is a good one, noted.

And you've just given me a brilliant idea - to lay on an afternoon tea! I was going to make lots of cupcakes and cakes anyway, but now I am thinking to expand that to sandwiches as well, and invite a few people over. I would really love to do that.

Thorntons is a great idea for chocolate. I'll get a few small boxes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Scottish tablet.
    Tablet, yes. Will get.
    Coconut Ice,Parma Violets and Rhubarb and Custard.
    Packet gravy is always popular
    Custard Creams.
    Yep, English sweeties, great idea. Will get a selection.
  • Options
    maggie thecatmaggie thecat Posts: 2,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Firstly, yes Americans drink hot tea. In Texas however, you'll be offered it iced by your hosts and it may be pre-sweetened. (It didn't used to be, but it's been ages since I've been to Texas.)

In my podunk corner of Tennessee I can buy Tetleys and PG Tips at the supermarket. They've also been known to carry Yorkshire Gold and Barry's, both of which I used to have to special order. As for Twinnings, a shop I love to visit when I'm in London, they've had a substantial American presence forever. It's their super unusual tisanes and other blends that make my eyes light up in their shop. Whittards might make a change as brand to shop.

If I was looking to make a fun splash I'd go to Harrods and/or Fortnum and Mason and hit up the food hall. I'd get some really nice Afternoon tea. Some mixed biscuits. Some georgous Scots heather honey.

I'd go to a regular supermarket for some mixes for scones or cakes. Actually, whenever I visit a UK supermarket I always spend a ridiculous amount of time in the packaged bakery section salivating over all the little cakes and pies, so that would be a way to go.

And to make it fun I'd get some various bars of chocolate and some crisps more daring than salt and vinegar, because those have been commonplace for ages.

Sorry. This went all rambly. I'm a weird tourist, I like grocery stores. I buy dried soup as a souvenir, because your flavours like oxtail and farmhouse vegetable are different to ours. Anyway, I hope I sparked a few ideas.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Tablet, yes. Will get.

Yep, English sweeties, great idea. Will get a selection.

Ooooh Dettol is also popular. The number of Americans I know who want it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ooooh Dettol is also popular. The number of Americans I know who want it.
    Dettol? Really?!
    Strangely…now you've got me craving a bottle so that I can just take long hard sniffs of it. It smells delicious.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Dettol? Really?!
    Strangely…now you've got me craving a bottle so that I can just take long hard sniffs of it. It smells delicious.

Of course not for eating but the number of Americans who had lived in the UK said it was better than their cleaning products,
  • Options
    andersonsonsonandersonsonson Posts: 6,454
    Forum Member
    Cadburys Dairy Milk :)

American chocolate is horrid
  • Options
    spectraspectra Posts: 2,756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How about taking some proper cheese, you know mature stuff.

Also how about digestive biscuits to go with.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    spectra wrote: »
    How about taking some proper cheese, you know mature stuff.

Also how about digestive biscuits to go with.
    I was thinking of taking cheese, I looked up briefly yesterday if I'd be allowed to but I couldn't find an answer...
  • Options
    molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Parkin. Yorkshire pudding, black pudding, white pudding, Cumberland sausage, Lincolnshire sausage, game pies, pork pies, Cornish pasties, steak and kidney pudding and pies, bakewell tart, jam roly poly, lardy cake, sussex pudding,spotted dick, Victoria sponge cake, so many cheeses from stilton. wensleydale and red leicester to cheddar, Gloucester and cottage and curd cheeses.

I believe Christmas pudding is English too.
  • Options
    vosnevosne Posts: 14,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't think of anything edible specifically from London.
    Your hamper sounds interesting, what did you put in it?

Could take a live eel. And some mash.

You might have to buy it a seat right enough.
  • Options
    maggie thecatmaggie thecat Posts: 2,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've brought cheese home with me. Anything with meat in it including tinned food was confiscated. No British beef products allowed. That was a few years back though, so I'd make a point to check with Customs.
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,964
    Forum Member
    Marmite is a good one, noted.

And you've just given me a brilliant idea - to lay on an afternoon tea! I was going to make lots of cupcakes and cakes anyway, but now I am thinking to expand that to sandwiches as well, and invite a few people over. I would really love to do that.

Thorntons is a great idea for chocolate. I'll get a few small boxes.

Whatever you take make sure you can import it first. Marmite should be ok but I believe it is banned in Canada!
  • Options
    Patti-AnnPatti-Ann Posts: 22,747
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Liquorice Allsorts

Jam, marmalade or lemon curd
  • Options
    wildpumpkinwildpumpkin Posts: 1,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    [/B]

Yep, so I have heard. I have already been advised to bring some chocolate…maybe some assorted Cadburys and Nestlé bars. And thank you, you have given me the idea to bring some toffees!

Cadburys and Nestlé bars..........They becoming more and more tasting like yank chocolate.

Toffee for definite This toffee and fudge is sensational

http://www.thetoffeeshop.co.uk/

and these chocolates were featured on Contryfile last week

http://www.caraghchocolates.co.uk/
  • Options
    towerstowers Posts: 12,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another vote for shortbread and digestive biscuits..

Cadbury's chocolate ( though beware, many Americans apparently find British milk chocolate too sweet, so nothing too sickly )

interestingly, Jaffa Cakes always go down well in Youtube videos where Americans try British confectionary (not the cheap ones though)
  • Options
    wampa1wampa1 Posts: 2,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quintessentially English and British food items.... have you thought about a greasy chicken tikka and a kebab?
  • Options
    Jambo_cJambo_c Posts: 4,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If I was taking chocolate I wouldn't bother with Cadburys I'd get something a bit special like Hotel Chocolat.

If allowed then a good selection of cheese would be great.