MJ Estate agrees to record Sony music deal

2»

Comments

• i4ui4u Posts: 54,804
    Forum Member
    glyn9799 wrote: »
    I agree about the Thriller documenary too :D I can't believe that hasn't been given an updated release. That should definately have been released on the Thriller 25 DVD!

2-3 years ago Jon Landis did an interview (part of which was reproduced last year) in which he talked about Thriller and joked about Michael not paying him.
    "Listen," he says smiling, "Michael probably owes me $10 million because he's in hock to Sony so deeply.

All the monies from the Thriller video, which I own 50 per cent, are collected by Sony.

My deal is with Michael's company, and he owes Sony so much that they keep the money.

So I will never get the money, and if I want to sue Michael, it's like, 'Get in line.' "

As Jon says he owns 50% of the video and because he hadn't been paid millions of dollars this may a reason why there has been no updated release.

I believe 'Thriller' was due to form a significant part of the 'This Is It' Tour which may explain why Jon Landis sued Michael a year ago over the money owed.

It's interesting how it is said the video was financed....
    Landis did a deal with the new cable network Showtime, who handed over $300,000 for the video and the making-of feature that Landis would oversee, too. The rest of the budget came from MTV.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i4u wrote: »
    A thread 10,810 people have taken an interest in, sorry my mistake it's now 10,814. :rolleyes:

Did you chuckle at the thought that while you were fast asleep Pakistani police were out in a field locating a young British boy who had disappeared?

Think worldwide, different time zones. :)

Yes, I'm sure they're all finding that conversation you've been having with yourself more than riveting. I think DS are yet to invent a post counter that logs all those that click into a thread then straight back out again...

I'm failing to see how the second part of your post has any relevance to the topic at hand :)

Now go and get your rolling eyes checked.
    Forum Member
    10,831 :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Doesn't count when you go in there yourself :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,328
    Forum Member
    I just heard that the deal is 10 albums over 7 years and only one of those albums will be an album of brand new material:mad:
    I expect lots of re-hashed compilations with one brand new song to make the fans buy them:rolleyes:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Taboo wrote: »
    I just heard that the deal is 10 albums over 7 years and only one of those albums will be an album of brand new material:mad:
    I expect lots of re-hashed compilations with one brand new song to make the fans buy them:rolleyes:

Same here.... :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it might be 10 projects, not just 10 albums. So this could mean albums, DVDs and a video game.

We should send Sony a list of 'wants'. What have we got so far?:

*Bad Tour
    *Victory Tour
    * Ghosts and Making of Documentary
    * Album of entirely new songs
    *Thriller short film and Making Of Documentary
    *New remastered short film anthology
    *Updated Visionary Box Set

Is anyone that bothered abut the HIStory tour? I know the gold pants are popular but I thought the lack of live singing was a poor move. However, I won't judge too much as I don't know the circumstances behind that decision.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,328
    Forum Member
    Moogle wrote: »
    I think it might be 10 projects, not just 10 albums. So this could mean albums, DVDs and a video game.

We should send Sony a list of 'wants'. What have we got so far?:

*Bad Tour
    *Victory Tour
    * Ghosts and Making of Documentary
    * Album of entirely new songs
    *Thriller short film and Making Of Documentary
    *New remastered short film anthology
    *Updated Visionary Box Set

Is anyone that bothered abut the HIStory tour? I know the gold pants are popular but I thought the lack of live singing was a poor move. However, I won't judge too much as I don't know the circumstances behind that decision.

HIStory has to be released for the gold pants alone. Good enough reason in my honest opinion:o:D
    Forum Member
    Errr...there's already been one project, so only leaves 6 wishes not 7. :)
    Forum Member
    HIStory has to be released for the gold pants alone. Good enough reason in my honest opinion:o:D

I think they are saving the gold pants for one of the dolls.
    Forum Member
    Found this article relating to the 1990 deal with CBS soon to become Sony
    Are Michael Jackson's much ballyhooed contract renegotiations with CBS Records all they're cracked up to be?

If Michael makes out as reported, will other stars' prices immediately leap up too?

While a source involved in the negotiations says the potential megadeal is like nothing that's ever been cut before, the gloved one's super-deal may, in fact, be largely super-hype.

Record companies have been whinging they ain't got the money these days, won't other artists be now demanding better deals?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Errr...there's already been one project, so only leaves 6 wishes not 7. :)

I've already used one up wishing you'd stop interfering in what started as a positive thread :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,881
    Forum Member

Lol gold pants glory!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 900
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Moogle wrote: »
    I'm happy that 'new' music will soon see the light of day but not impressed that the estate chose Sony after all that happened between them and Michael. Seeing as he was desperate to leave, he would not want them to have the rights over his unreleased music. However, it does not surprise me in the slightest.

everything concerning michaels death is connected to sony, from coloumbia picture who produced this is it movie sony own them, there is a big investiagtion going on the fan site im on, th ela times have got involved tom messeru has been contacted and ephroditee jones who was th eonly journalist to believe michael during the 2005 trial.
    sony produced the living with mj documentary, martin basirs brother worked for tommy mottola.
    the reason invincible didnt do well was because tommy mottola made sure it didnt, its also a conicident that at that same time a year after it was made and the day before it aired (the living with doc) the arvis family brought up there 'allergations', some thing tommy planted them in michaels life, al mlnik, mottola and brett ratner all have mafia links something that mj didnt like.

michael would not be happy that its sony.
    also the owner of aeg is very good friends with tommy mottola, randy phillips from aeg is related to dr tohme iv got some chart i did a few months a go for the investigation that i may post.
  • Scratchy7929Scratchy7929 Posts: 3,252
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    After 1995 Jackson's record sales were massively reduced, especially his singles.If the material is a little bit second rate compared to his best stuff say pre 1996, I wonder if Sony will get the sales needed to get a return on their investment.Perhaps some will have a little bit of a foul taste in their mouths due to Sony trying to exploit his death.We'll soon find out.A bit of a gamble by Sony I believe - paying out so much.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    After 1995 Jackson's record sales were massively reduced, especially his singles.If the material is a little bit second rate compared to his best stuff say pre 1996, I wonder if Sony will get the sales needed to get a return on their investment.Perhaps some will have a little bit of a foul taste in their mouths due to Sony trying to exploit his death.We'll soon find out.A bit of a gamble by Sony I believe - paying out so much.

After 1995 -

HIStory sold over 20m copies
    Blood on the Dancefloor remix album sold 10m copies
    Invincible (with the lack of promotion) has sold 12m copies worldwide

Not shabby!

At the moment, the plan is to release 1 album with new music. Other projects include remix albums, Off The Wall and Bad anniversary albums and some greatest hits. Sony are not shelling money out on JUST new music.

This Is It album which was released at the end of October 09 and is basically another a greatest hits album with 1 new song and a couple of demos has sold over 5m copies.

Since June 25th, MJ has sold over 30m albums, earning well over £100m in just album sales.

The demand is there and sales reflect this, hence why Sony have agreed to such a high contract.
    Forum Member
    I would suggest following the child molestation claims along with Michael's own actions, sleeping alone with young boys, walking around hugging a doll, all going on while addicted to drugs...made it difficult for radio, TV and the public to buy into his music?

So with the tour annoucement there was a lot of pent up potential record sales and air-time, and following his death the flood gates opened.

Here's an article by Reuters from January this year regarding the significant decline in record sales and last year's best sellers in the US according to retail data from Neilsen SoundScan.

Number one album of the year was Taylor Swift followed by Susan Boyle, Michael was the biggest selling artist.

Despite Michael's death record sales in the US fell almost 13% last year. The article points to the liquidation of Virgin Megastore as an example of the decline in overall sales.
    The decline in total sales follows a 14 percent drop in 2008, and it sets a new low since Nielsen SoundScan began publishing point-of-sales data in 1991.

Sales have plummeted 52 percent from the industry's high-water mark of 785.1 million units in 2000, due largely to Internet piracy and competition from other forms of entertainment such as video games.

The death of Michael Jackson in June provided a boost. The pop singer was the best-selling artist of the year, accounting for 8.3 million units.

Neither he nor the next two artists, country star Taylor Swift and the Beatles, actually released new albums last year.

Swift was a distant second with 4.6 million units, mostly for her second album "Fearless," the biggest seller of 2009 and the No. 3 seller of 2008; the Beatles sold 3.3 million units of their newly remastered catalog.

Among the labels, Vivendi SA's Universal Music Group remained dominant with 30.2 percent of total album sales, down from 31.5 percent in 2008. Sony Corp's Sony Music Entertainment, the home of Jackson and Boyle, followed with 28.6 percent.

If people have already gone out and bought his back catalogue will they go out again the same thing re-packaged within 5-7 years?

Will Sony and The Estate be looking at such things as Cirque du Soliel, who put together a show featuring Beatle music?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,881
    Forum Member
    I would suggest following the child molestation claims along with Michael's own actions, sleeping alone with young boys, walking around hugging a doll, all going on while addicted to drugs...made it difficult for radio, TV and the public to buy into his music?

So with the tour annoucement there was a lot of pent up potential record sales and air-time, and following his death the flood gates opened.

Here's an article by Reuters from January this year regarding the significant decline in record sales and last year's best sellers in the US according to retail data from Neilsen SoundScan.

Number one album of the year was Taylor Swift followed by Susan Boyle, Michael was the biggest selling artist.

Despite Michael's death record sales in the US fell almost 13% last year. The article points to the liquidation of Virgin Megastore as an example of the decline in overall sales.

If people have already gone out and bought his back catalogue will they go out again the same thing re-packaged within 5-7 years?

Will Sony and The Estate be looking at such things as Cirque du Soliel, who put together a show featuring Beatle music?

There has already been talk of doing a similar Cirque to Solei show. People will always buy MJ back catalogue CDs. I don't particularly want yet another greatest hits but Essential was number one for seven weeks, number ones was number one a week before, and TII has been a huge seller here. All greatest hits albums. Sony will do what they have always done and throw in a couple of new songs and demos so fans will have to buy the whole album. Record stores had already stocked up on MJ albums anyway due to the concerts due to start in a few weeks back in June and his death resulted in frantic ordering to accomodate the huge demmand. I know someone who works for HMV and they were all rung up as soon as Michael's death was announced and told that they had to be in at 7am the next morning to set up Michael Jackson displays as the manager knew they'd be getting significantly more traffic.

But lets not forget early 09 here. His sales increased when he announced the concerts and what happened with the concerts? Oh yeah a million tickets were all sold out in 4 hours. The boss of the o2 has already conceeded that there will be no one who will ever sell out 50 dates at the o2 in a matter of hours. This is a guy who had been out of the spotlight for a while and not performed in 12 years, yet he sells out the o2 with a click of his fingers. There has always been a demmand for Michael Jackson and there always will be.