Options

Will You Be Donating On Red Nose Day?

smile371smile371 Posts: 10,202
Forum Member
✭✭
If you are planning on donating to Comic Relief over the next couple of weeks, i was wondering if you would consider doing it through my donation poll that i'm running; they still get the same money which you were going to donate, but at the same time it allows another event to run :) I know you don't know any of the people in the link who you're supposed to be voting on, but you can just put a random name, or the one who looks like they'd hate to get gunged the most. It really would be so appreciated if you would consider it :) The link to the video explaining it is here : -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aR4Om21ZUQ

And the link to the donation poll is here : -

http://www.justgiving.com/Aaron-Walsh

Many Thanks for reading :)

Comments

• Options
    November_RainNovember_Rain Posts: 9,145
    Forum Member
    I've already donated through eBay, and if I manage to sell any more of my items over the coming weeks I will be donating again. :)
  • Options
    Pliny the ElderPliny the Elder Posts: 2,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We'll do what we always do and buy a red nose. And possibly a t shirt.
  • Options
    21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,506
    Forum Member
    I bought a Stella McCartney tee last time.
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    No, I won't.

Being a miserable old git, I like to donate money to charity at other times of the year specifically so I can tell them all to bugger off on Red Nose day and feel all smug and superior when then assume I'm a tightarse.

Sad, but true.
  • Options
    born85born85 Posts: 122
    Forum Member
    I won't be donating to Red Nose Day/Comic Relief. I have my own UK charities who I donate to when I have spare cash. I'm not prepared to donate money so it can be syphoned off to Africa either.
  • Options
    MD1500MD1500 Posts: 14,234
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, I've bought my red nose.
    Does that count? :D
  • Options
    AzagothAzagoth Posts: 10,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not at all! I already have charities that I regularly donate to, charities of my choosing.
  • Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    No. And I don't even watch any of it.

I help certain charities of my own choice, all year round.
  • Options
    indianwellsindianwells Posts: 12,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry no. I have standing orders with two charities already. I have a limit.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,335
    Forum Member
    I can't stand Lenny Henry but watching Comic Relief 1988 did get me through my labour.

We can contribute through our business, so may give a tenner like we did for Children in Need
  • Options
    ĐironaĐirona Posts: 15,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yes. we'll be doing something at work.

it'll be fun.:) breaks the monotony too.
  • Options
    tysonstormtysonstorm Posts: 24,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nope not me I'm afraid.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No I donate to charities that arre meaningful to me.

All this televised begging and celebrity promotion gets my goat.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,387
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No. But I have bought a lot of malteser related products recently and they're donating a percent from each purchase to comic relief... so I guess I have, then.
  • Options
    tysonstormtysonstorm Posts: 24,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime."

Unfortunately all this giving is not feeding them for a lifetime.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tysonstorm wrote: »
    "Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime."

Of course it is. Do you suppose that Comic Relief money arrives in the form of fish? They support local, sustainable projects that just need a bit of help to get off the ground. Have you ever actually watched any of the films where they show how the money is spent?

There is not much of a spirit of generosity on this thread. :( All this "well I already give some money away so my purse is now padlocked". Well I'm sure we all give money to our favourite charities during the year, but that doesn't mean there would be anything shockingly reckless about giving a one-off donation to this extremely well run and practical charity.

I will have a look at your link, OP and have a ponder.

Edit: done. :)

Edit again:
    Our aim is to bring about real and lasting change by tackling the root causes of poverty and social injustice, rather than simply treating the symptoms. After all these years, the one thing we know is that when you give people the chance to live their lives with dignity, they invariably grab it with both hands.

So, to drive this change, we award grants to incredible projects on the ground that work to give people a leg up, not a hand out. We also go beyond giving grants and use our brand and influence to do all sorts of other work that moves us closer to our ambition.
  • Options
    5th Horseman5th Horseman Posts: 10,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tysonstorm wrote: »

Teach too many men and it leads to overfishing and famine.

Anyway I have bought a red nose as I always do but that's it I support local charities through work all year round.
  • Options
    SecretSmilerSecretSmiler Posts: 1,015
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    no wont be donating
  • Options
    haphashhaphash Posts: 21,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No most definitely not. I hate being begged for money by patronising celebs like Bono etc.

The price of petrol has gone up so much I can hardly afford to get to work and back. Anyone who thinks they are getting any money out of me can think again.
  • Options
    ValereValere Posts: 1,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No I donate to charities that arre meaningful to me.

All this televised begging and celebrity promotion gets my goat.

Likewise.
  • Options
    ValereValere Posts: 1,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is not much of a spirit of generosity on this thread. :( All this "well I already give some money away so my purse is now padlocked". Well I'm sure we all give money to our favourite charities during the year, but that doesn't mean there would be anything shockingly reckless about giving a one-off donation to this extremely well run and practical charity.

People have stated perfectly fair reasons for not liking Red Nose Day.

I don't think it's fair at all, or particularly nice, to imply that we're all just a bunch of meanies who could afford to chuck a bit more money around if we really wanted too.

Charity should always be a personal thing and these big televised events with celebs who are only really on there to promote themselves despite the guise of charity work irk me to no end. I simply don't like being preached at and won't indulge the practice in any form. As for donating to charity, I can choose to do that without needing to be prompted by any form of advertising or pressure being put upon me from anyone, which is what comic relief basically is about.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 914
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When it can be proved to me that these rich celebrities give substantial amounts of hard cash then perhaps I'll contemplate giving what little money I have. Till then they can get lost.

Terry Wogan gets 9 grand for presenting children in need FFS.
  • Options
    MrsceeMrscee Posts: 5,271
    Forum Member
    I wont be donating as I give to uk charities regular...I also hate the way that some schools (usually my kid's) force them to 'dress up' and do stuff for the day along with a money donation (not force but everyone else is doing it sort of thing)..
  • Options
    rockerchickrockerchick Posts: 9,255
    Forum Member
    Why red nose day in perticular? Charities are all year round.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dear oh lor'.
    Valere wrote: »
    People have stated perfectly fair reasons for not liking Red Nose Day.

I don't think it's fair at all, or particularly nice, to imply that we're all just a bunch of meanies who could afford to chuck a bit more money around if we really wanted too.
    Some could and some couldn't. But my issue was not with people pleading poverty or the fact that they don't enjoy red nose day and don't watch it. It was the meanly indignant tone of some people that a charity should even ASK for money. What moral objection could there be, really, to a lot of people giving up their own time to put together what they hope will be an entertaining night in order to raise money? No one has to watch, or to donate, or to post on this thread. There are loads of charities I never give to - most of them in fact - but I don't try and make a moral point out of the fact that I don't.
    Charity should always be a personal thing and these big televised events with celebs who are only really on there to promote themselves despite the guise of charity work irk me to no end.

Bearing in mind that it is the celebrities who bring in the money, how can you tell that all they are interested in is promoting themselves? What are the tell-tale signs that they don't care about the giving?
    HungerCult wrote: »
    When it can be proved to me that these rich celebrities give substantial amounts of hard cash then perhaps I'll contemplate giving what little money I have. Till then they can get lost.

What would it take? Would you like them to personally send you a copy of their bank statements?
    Mrscee wrote: »
    I wont be donating as I give to uk charities regular...I also hate the way that some schools (usually my kid's) force them to 'dress up' and do stuff for the day along with a money donation (not force but everyone else is doing it sort of thing)..
    Can there be such evil in the world? Schools actually invite children to have fun dressing up, and invite their parents to make a (presumably very small) financial donation. I should campaign to have this vile school closed down immediately.
    Why red nose day in perticular? Charities are all year round.

Course they are. What would be the use of a charity that only operated for a day? Luckily, Comic Relief projects are in it for the long haul. Once a sustainable community project is up and running there is no reason why it can't operate for decades.