Stray rabbit in neibours garden

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,472
Forum Member
✭✭✭
So for the last few months,theres been a stray rabbit hoping from garden to garden(including mine)i asked the neibours about it and they said it was a pet but got loose and that its owners have now moved away,its driving my german shepard crazy,the council wont do anything and i cant get close enough to catch it,its gonna b a bloodbath if the dog gets hold of it,the neibours just kinnda laugh when i tell them but ill b the one who gets the blame if the dog gets it even though i warned them,any ideas lol

Comments

• guernseysnailguernseysnail Posts: 18,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do you have an animal charity in your area..they should come and give you a hand to catch it and then take it away.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,472
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure but ill look into it,theres also a new petshop in town and i saw on facebook that they are looking for animals so i might say to them also,see if they could be interested,is there any kind of humane legal trapping systems out there?
  • NormandieNormandie Posts: 4,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ask for help and advice on this forum...

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/

There are quite a few members in Scotland so, depending on where you are, someone might be able to help you catch the rabbit. They may be able to advise you on any local rescues too.

Good for you for not wanting to see the animal ripped apart too. Especially as her previous owners clearly didn't care.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why don't you phone the RSPCA?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Probably because the RSPCA is England and Wales only.

But yes, the SPCA is a possibility. Trouble is, most of these big organisations try to avoid going out and trapping / catching - they don't have funds or manpower. But it's worth a call...

http://www.scottishspca.org/contact
  • xdowxdow Posts: 2,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is how i gained one of my rabbits.

she was caught in a shed one day and i went and collected her & kept her here.

this was after trying (closely, but unsuccessfully) to get her with a large fishing net a week beforehand.
    do any of your neighbours have an enclosed garden they could shut the rabbit in if it were to venture in there?
    could make trapping it more easy.

also try and get in contact with a small rescue centre if you can - they're far more likely than the RSPCA/SPCA to come out and help you.

you could try as well, a large humane rat, or even a cat trap covered over with a sheet with some hay from another rabbits hutch and some food in it - the smell of other rabbits can often entice them to investigate.
  • RuthStarRuthStar Posts: 5,729
    Forum Member
    This is how I sorta came into having My Rabbit, He got into a family friends mothers garden and he was passed down to family friend and then to me..
    You need some sort of trap, like put a bowl of food in a small cage or something, My Rabbits a ravenous imp, any food and he'll pounce on it..

What I will say, is picking them up isn't easy when they haven't had much human contact, It took me 5 months to get my rabbit to even let me tickle his stomach, I can't actually pick him up..He does come from an abusive background so maybe thats why..
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unless accustomed to being picked up from an early age, they don't like being picked up because - as prey animals - all four feet leaving the ground equates to being predated by something (animal or bird) that is picking them up to carry them away as food. Hence the frantic scrabbling to try and get free.

If they are picked up, they are best held firmly against your body so that all four feet and tummy are in contact with you. They may still be stressed but at least with feet against something solid, the panic subsides.