Memory Foam Mattresses

LathamiteLathamite Posts: 638
Forum Member
✭✭
Hi all,

Looking at getting a Memory Foam Double Mattress but there are a lot of different brands so it's difficult to know where to start.

Anyone tried any brands and got recommendations?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cheaper option may be to get a memory foam mattress topper! Got one from B&M Bargains a couple of years ago and is so comfortable!
  • LathamiteLathamite Posts: 638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    woodbush wrote: »

Thanks very much!
  • bacchantic enigmabacchantic enigma Posts: 3,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pull2Open wrote: »
    Cheaper option may be to get a memory foam mattress topper! Got one from B&M Bargains a couple of years ago and is so comfortable!

Yep I've just bought one for £35 or so, and soooo comfortable.
  • iCandy77iCandy77 Posts: 1,457
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep I've just bought one for £35 or so, and soooo comfortable.

I bought one years ago and have never looked back. The toppers really are the way to go!
  • 1fab1fab Posts: 20,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We got a Tempur mattress a couple of years ago. It seems ok. I wouldn't say it has solved all my back problems, but it's pretty good. Quite expensive, though, if I remember rightly - over £2k.:eek:
  • HollyCHollyC Posts: 5,850
    Forum Member
    Lathamite wrote: »
    Hi all,

Looking at getting a Memory Foam Double Mattress but there are a lot of different brands so it's difficult to know where to start.

Anyone tried any brands and got recommendations?

I had the most uncomfortable mattress in history (true fact!) and I bought a memory foam mattress topper, because I couldn't afford to replace it. Unbelievable difference :eek: It was like having a whole new bed, and, about 18 months on, it's just as fab as it was that first night!

Mine was about £70 from John Lewis, but I've been told that cheaper ones are just as good. I'd definitely advise looking into just getting a mattress topper - same result, but with a lot less money!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1fab wrote: »
    We got a Tempur mattress a couple of years ago. It seems ok. I wouldn't say it has solved all my back problems, but it's pretty good. Quite expensive, though, if I remember rightly - over £2k.:eek:

Mine cost £1k. It's German and called Matherm. Had it 10 years now and sorted my back problems out.
  • Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When we changed our bed a few months back we got a memory foam one.

Most comfortable thing I've ever slept on! Loved it!

But the downside was that it made me sweat really badly. Looking online, loads of people have said the same. Something to do with the material it's made of.

It got so bad that I had to change it in the end. Was gutted about it cos it was so damn comfy! So I'd just say to the OP to be aware of this problem before getting a memory foam mattress.
  • 1fab1fab Posts: 20,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The one thing I don't like about our memory foam mattress is that I find it really hard to turn over on it. With "normal" mattresses, you can just slide over onto your back or side, but with the memory foam one, it's a big effort to turn. That could just be me being a weakling, though.
  • MarzBar85MarzBar85 Posts: 15,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I shopped around, identified the ones I liked, then saw if they were going to haggle. I had a budget of £750 for a double bed. I told retailers my budget was £650 to see if they could budge.

Long story short, paid £450 for a double divan memory foam. Added on an all seasons feather quilt, which I hate putting on in winter as the bed is too toasty and comfy(!) making it more difficult to get up in the mornings. The spring and summer duvets help to stop the bed getting too hot.
  • big brother 9big brother 9 Posts: 18,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We have had 3 all togethe, they weren't cheap either and all of them have become misshaped and im effective. Dont get one is my advice
  • Landdrifter24Landdrifter24 Posts: 206
    Forum Member
    Don't be tempted to spend over the odds for one, i can't remember if it was on here or another forum, and i can't even remember who did the tests but Tempur and the most expensive ones were rated mostly middle of the road, whilst i believe the top rated Mattress (IIRC) was a Silentnight one which was a quarter of the price of the Tempur and other expensive brands...

I'm not even sure mine as a brand name, i can't remember if it does anyway, it cost me £180 (it was ex display though and required a good clean and i think it would have been £320 brand new) and i've now had it two years and it is one of my greatest decisions, so comfortable and nice and warm in the winter but does have a tendency to be a little too warm in the summer, but i'm a person who prefers cool and it doesn't bother me too much. I have also tested against my neighbours Tempur mattress whilst thier tempur is nice, after a year they had to get it replaced because it was tearing and was going out shape and plus it doesn't feel any different to mine.

One thing to add though, i went from an horrible bouncy springy mattress and it took a good week to get used to the firmness of it and at first you will feel a bit of a struggle to turn over (this is what kept waking me up lol) , but has a i said, after i got used to it, it is pure and simple heaven.
  • LathamiteLathamite Posts: 638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone had any experience of Coolmax? Looking for a MF mattress that's not too hot and this seems to fit the bill...but reviews are a bit scarce.
  • bacchantic enigmabacchantic enigma Posts: 3,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iCandy77 wrote: »
    I bought one years ago and have never looked back. The toppers really are the way to go!

Have you struggled though, after washing the cover, getting the foam back in the cover?Realllllly tight fit, but perhaps I washed the cover a little too high and it shrank-after pummeling it in and it looking like a banana, got the scissors out and cut up one side of the cover. :o

Thinking about getting a queen size duvet cover to slide the foam into. Any ideas anyone? I can't be the only one surely?
  • IqoniqIqoniq Posts: 6,299
    Forum Member
    Maybe have a look at this. It seems to have some decent reviews.
  • venusinflaresvenusinflares Posts: 4,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had the most awful problems with being too hot all year round when we had memory foam. We ended up nick naming it 'sweaty foam' as we both had problems. Horrible!

Best thing we ever did was get rid and go back to 'old fashioned' pocket springs. Have slept beautifully ever since.
  • Pistol WhipPistol Whip Posts: 9,677
    Forum Member
    I always imagine I'd get stuck in them :o Thinking of getting a topper myself.
  • JulesandSandJulesandSand Posts: 6,012
    Forum Member
    We bought a fairly expensive one a few years back but I couldn't live with it as I don't move about much when asleep found I was getting far too hot. OH who does move around a lot when asleep found it OK and likes to be warmer anyway.

We compromised and bought a sprung mattress with a memory foam layer on one side which we sleep on in the winter (.i.e. most of the year lately) and a side with no memory foam for the summer.

It's a compromise that works for us.
  • Me-CheetahMe-Cheetah Posts: 599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lathamite wrote: »
    Anyone had any experience of Coolmax? Looking for a MF mattress that's not too hot and this seems to fit the bill...but reviews are a bit scarce.

Yes, I've had a coolmax mattress for three years and I will NEVER go back to a 'traditional' mattress.

I love it - no overheating probles and blissfully comfy. I never get back ache or sciatica like pains anymore, whereas I used to get them all the time with my old mattress.

http://www.memoryfoamwarehouse.co.uk/memory-foam-mattresses/coolmax-memory-foam-mattress/

TBH, I can't believe the silly prices people are paying for memory foam.

I bought from this company, great prices and service, great product and prompt delivery .

If truth be told, I'm a bit evangelical about memory foam :D
  • innes_calaninnes_calan Posts: 434
    Forum Member
    Me and the wife were out looking for a new mattress in John lewis last night and she tried a tempura model and this made her Labrythitis flare up and she was all over the place so we tried one that was much firmer and she had no dizzy episode with this one so will will opt for something firmer.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People love them, I get that but im a wiggler I don't sleep well and move every 5 mins. I cant sleep on them. Ive tried so many times!
  • offtotheracesofftotheraces Posts: 723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have one from the Silent Night brand. Very expensive but has proven a very worthwhile purchase so far as it's the most comfortable mattress I've owned.
  • simon40simon40 Posts: 620
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have a pocket sprung memory foam mattress -cost £199 for a double and is great. It did take a few weeks to get used to but so do all new mattresses.
    It's very soft and supportive but i went for a softer option as my parents went for a firm mattress and they took ages to get used to it - about 4 months infact.

Mine is a Kayflex pocket sprung mattress.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,924
    Forum Member
    If you are a heavy drinker then please don't. They seem to absorb the smell of stale booze. Yuck.