Options

Camcorder advice

c4ll3mwc4ll3mw Posts: 947
Forum Member
✭✭
My daughter is wanting a camcorder for her birthday, shes really into video editing etc... and usually uses her ipad to make videos etc... but the memory gets full really quickly so she has now asked for a camcorder.

Can anybody recommend a camcorder that can upload directly to her youtube account?

I apologise if this is not the right place to ask but figured somebody techy would know!

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If she is into video editing then she would not want to upload right to You tube to be honest. what she would want is to put them onto a computer and edit them with a decent video editor and then upload to You Tube.

I have a JVC camcorder, it is a smallish camera and give good results, but getting on now.
    here are some
    Oh yeah, someone I know that does video work for a living uses JVC equipment.

You got to look at a few things, price, size, zoom, I mean analogue zoom, not digital and the JVC got a pretty big zoom 40X is a fair bit for HD. Storage space, most uses SD cards these days, ease of use.
    Ease of use is the problem with smaller camcorders, they are fine if yo leave them on auto, but if you want to change settings, like whitelight and focus, they can be fiddly as these settings are stuck in menus.
    A larger camera will have these controls in a easy to use place, but you pay more and it is larger to cart around.
    My Camcorder is small enough to fit in pocket and I do not go hardly anywhere without it.
    I must get back into this video lark myself.
  • Options
    fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would pick something like the
    Panasonic HC-V750EB-K
    Though if that to much I also use a Canon SX700 which might be cheaper its a very tiny camera and fits in the pocket.
    Even this would be much better than an Ipad.
    Would be handy to have an extra battery to.
    I also have the Panasonic HC-V700 though its a few years old but might be cheaper.
    Though it not have WIFI but I really like the camera and use it all the time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have actually seen this one which is half price not sure if it will be any good though. I don't want to spend a fortune on one buy want one that will do the job.

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/cameras-camcorders/digital-camcorders/digital-camcorders/panasonic-hc-v550eb-k-full-hd-camcorder-black-22034164-pdt.html
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    c4ll3mw wrote: »
    I have actually seen this one which is half price not sure if it will be any good though. I don't want to spend a fortune on one buy want one that will do the job.

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/cameras-camcorders/digital-camcorders/digital-camcorders/panasonic-hc-v550eb-k-full-hd-camcorder-black-22034164-pdt.html

Go for it, at that price it is good,
    As fmradiotuner1 said, also make sure to get a spare battery, as you only normally get a hour recording on batteries that come with the camcorder.

Looks good
  • Options
    fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes that should be far better an ipad
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for all the advice! Going to see if our local store has it in stock. At that price I can get her a case and spare battery etc.. as well!
  • Options
    c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    c4ll3mw wrote: »

they aren't brilliant in low light but much, much better than the iPad.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    c4rv wrote: »
    they aren't brilliant in low light but much, much better than the iPad.

i flipping well hope so to be honest. The Ipad is a tablet, a multifunction device that does lots of things okish. A camcorder is produced to do one thing and one thing only.

My phone is pretty good at photos, but to get better quality I use my Fuji camera, the same as video, outside my phone takes good video, but it can not compeat with my camcorder, I do not expect it too either. Also the problem with phones and tablets is that you can not hold them steady, it is hard enough with a small camcorder, never mind with a strange shaped device.

Hopefully next year or even this year if I can get the money I will be getting a larger camcorder and then make more use of it.