Karen Gillan looks to be the big breakthrough star

1235»

Comments

• Options
    CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Theophile wrote: »
    It's been out for a month, since April 11th, here.

You quoted a Post talking about Guardians of the Galaxy (out in August) saying it had only made $27 Million if you were actually talking about Oculus (out April) you should have actually said so.
  • Options
    TheophileTheophile Posts: 2,947
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Corwin wrote: »
    You quoted a Post talking about Guardians of the Galaxy (out in August) saying it had only made $27 Million if you were actually talking about Oculus (out April) you should have actually said so.

Ah, sorry. Yes Oculus was the movie that I was talking about. My apologies for the confusion. :)
  • Options
    CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ah, sorry. Yes Oculus was the movie that I was talking about. My apologies for the confusion. :)

No worries.

Just looked at the figures for Oculus and it only cost $5 Million to make so it's already made over five times it's budget in the U.S so would probably be classed as a successful film.
  • Options
    Luner13Luner13 Posts: 2,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Karen's pilot "Selfie" on ABC in the US has been picked up to a full season.

And so her transition to HUGE Star begins.

Oculus & Guardians of Galaxy now this GO KAREN.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Corwin wrote: »
    No worries.

Just looked at the figures for Oculus and it only cost $5 Million to make so it's already made over five times it's budget in the U.S so would probably be classed as a successful film.

Horror/Thrillers are notoriously low budget, but they bring in the money. That is not unusual. However, the returns are nothing to write home about. Don't get me wrong, I want to see the movie, but it is not a "blockbuster" by any stretch of the imagination. (In the US, the term blockbuster has usually been reserved for movies that make at least $100 million domestically during their run. These days, you could almost reserve that term for movies that make that amount their opening weekend.)
  • Options
    TEDRTEDR Posts: 3,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Luner13 wrote: »

I wouldn't be too confident about Selfie as a vehicle; Kapnek's previous quirky ginger-starring comedy, Suburgatory, just got cancelled.
  • Options
    Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 185
    Forum Member
    Considering Billie Piper and even Catherine Tate were probably more loved as Dr Who companions , I think Karen Gillian is probably the more ambitious at wanting to break it out big in Hollywood then the others. She probably got her agent to get her as many auditions as her agent could get her. Plus Unlike Billie, the show was only back in the running when she left, Tate was never going to trouble Hollywood leading roles even though she's done well for herself.

Karen got involved when the show was a worldwide phenomenon especially State side, she's an attractive woman and she's got time on her side to break it big.

Selfie is where it lies for Karen, looking at the trailer I just can't see it been big. Her American accent is really good. I

Guardians of Galaxy, unless she steals the film performance wise, isn't relying on her rather Marvel name.

Although I hated Amy, I do think Karen has potential, maybe she won't break it massive but I could see her having a good solid career. I get a Emma Stone/Rachael Mcadams vibe from her, don't be surprised to see her been cast in romantic rom coms in years to come, I really think that will be her strong point.

I still think Matt Smith could be the big star coming from DR Who.
  • Options
    MulettMulett Posts: 9,057
    Forum Member
    Considering Billie Piper and even Catherine Tate were probably more loved as Dr Who companions , I think Karen Gillian is probably the more ambitious at wanting to break it out big in Hollywood then the others. She probably got her agent to get her as many auditions as her agent could get her. Plus Unlike Billie, the show was only back in the running when she left, Tate was never going to trouble Hollywood leading roles even though she's done well for herself. Karen got involved when the show was a worldwide phenomenon especially State side, she's an attractive woman and she's got time on her side to break it big.

To be fair, the show was a worldwide phenomenon from the moment 'Rose' was broadcast and the Eccleston/Tennant episodes were/are as popular in the states as the Matt Smith stories and so Karen's had no more an advantage from it then any other actor.

And its worth remembering that whilst there is a good awareness of the show in the US (many people would likely know what the TARDIS is, for instance) it is still a show watched be a comparatively small audience. So it certainly hasn't made the likes of Karen, Matt, David or Billie household names in America.

But Karen comes from a comedy background and I do think there is something about knowing how to do comedy (and how to do it well) that can really elevate someone's career.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Luner13 wrote: »

Huge star? I don't see it myself, I think she's for sure the most ambitious out of all the Actresses who played dr who companions from the new era. I'm not knocking her as an actress even though I'm not a big fan of Amy, I do think Gillian is talented but that American Show looks dreadful, nothing about it stands out the usual primetime comedy/Drama slosh American Tv channels like to turn out.

Oculus wasn't any great shakes. Guardians of Galaxy is going to make money no matter if Gillian was in it or not as it's Marvel studio film, It's not Gillian's name headlining the film, unless she steals the film with her performance. She will get lost in the shuffle.

I think she has potential of been an British Emma Stone/Rachel Mcadams, I think casting her in Rom coms and comedies will probably work for her in the long run. She's just got that innocent girl next door look to her, I could see her been the love interest in Richard Curtis next film. I just don't see her right now been a big star.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Mulett wrote: »
    .And its worth remembering that whilst there is a good awareness of the show in the US (many people would likely know what the TARDIS is, for instance) it is still a show watched be a comparatively small audience. So it certainly hasn't made the likes of Karen, Matt, David or Billie household names in America.

But Karen comes from a comedy background and I do think there is something about knowing how to do comedy (and how to do it well) that can really elevate someone's career.

Really I thought it was a Worldwide phenomenon, I'm shocked by that. Only started watching it in the last few months but heard it was massive in The States, But I Guess i'm wrong.

I think she's got potential but Selfie I don't think will help her break that market.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Really I thought it was a Worldwide phenomenon, I'm shocked by that. Only started watching it in the last few months but heard it was massive in The States, But I Guess i'm wrong. I think she's got potential but Selfie I don't think will help her break that market.

I think it gets up to 2m viewers in the US but, as I said, there is a strong awareness of the show.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mulett wrote: »
    I think it gets up to 2m viewers in the US but, as I said, there is a strong awareness of the show.

There is a very large awareness here; many, many people are fans of the show. However, not all of us receive BBC America, so we can't watch the show. (I myself have no cable whatsoever, nor a dish, just a pair of rabbit ears.) Nevertheless, I purchase the Blu-Rays once they become available. Many of my friends are in the same boat. We can't watch it broadcast, but we can purchase it later on DVD, Blu-Ray or one of those I-Tunes things.

If the show were shown on one of the big American networks, which are the broadcast ones (ABC, NBC, CBS or, hopefully FOX since they tried it back in the 90's), then it would likely have a much larger viewership.

That all said, nothing that Karen Gillan has done thus far has been anything close to "Breakout Star" status. Thus far, Occulus, Guardians of the Galaxy and Selfie all look like so-so productions. However, we may be surprised by not only one of the latter two or by something she does in the future.

She may hit it big eventually; we just don't know yet. However, it has very much not happened as of yet. I think that the original poster's enthusiasm for the actress and/or character which she played on Doctor Who is allowing him to get ahead of himself regarding her career.

Even though I didn't like Amelia Williams as a character or The Doctor's obsession with her, I do wish Karen all of the best in her future endeavors. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    There is a very large awareness here; many, many people are fans of the show.

It gets name-checked on the Big Bang Theory all the time, which is the biggest show in the US at the moment. That alone must help :)
  • Options
    Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    Latest issue of SFX has an interview with Karen Gillan and features on both Oculus and Guardians Of The Galaxy.
  • Options
    Luner13Luner13 Posts: 2,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Karen Gillan to star In A Valley Of Violence

Karen Gillan has been cast in western 'In A Valley Of Violence' where she will star alongside Ethan Hawke, John Travolta and Taissa Farmiga.

Karen Gillan has been cast 'In A Valley Of Violence'.

The 26-year-old actress - who is known for her role as Amy Pond in the British sci-fi series 'Doctor Who' - will reportedly star opposite Ethan Hawke, John Travolta and Taissa Farmiga in the western.

Gillan and Farmiga play sisters who run a hotel in a small town in the 1890s and they're caught in Hawke's mission to seek vengeance for his murdered best friend.

The forthcoming film which will be directed by 'The House Of The Devil' helmer Ti West and will see Gillian reunite with Blumouse Productions, the company behind horror 'Oculus', where she landed a starring role as Kaylie Russell.

Gillan will hit the big screen later this year in 'Guardians of the Galaxy' as Nebula, after she shaved her head for the role. Talking about the character, she previously said: ''She is the female villain of the film. She teams up with Lee Pace who is the male villain. She is very sadistic and evil, but I like to think for a very valid reason.''

She is also slated to play the lead role in the upcoming U.S. comedy series 'Selfie', which is loosely based on 'My Fair Lady'.

Wow Karen just keeps getting big high profile roles. So happy for her :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    That all said, nothing that Karen Gillan has done thus far has been anything close to "Breakout Star" status. Thus far, Occulus, Guardians of the Galaxy and Selfie all look like so-so productions. However, we may be surprised by not only one of the latter two or by something she does in the future.

She may hit it big eventually; we just don't know yet. However, it has very much not happened as of yet. I think that the original poster's enthusiasm for the actress and/or character which she played on Doctor Who is allowing him to get ahead of himself regarding her career.

Even though I didn't like Amelia Williams as a character or The Doctor's obsession with her, I do wish Karen all of the best in her future endeavors. :)

I agree it's a bit of a stretch to say she's going to be a massive star just yet, I'm sure the O.P is a massive fan of hers and is rooting for her, GOTG is a Marvel film so it's going to big with or without Gillian. Selfie looks the same old crap U.S comedy the networks love to churn out and Occulus has been getting mixed reviews and hasn't set the box offices alight. A Valley in Violence, could be a load of crap as Hawke is a hit and miss actor as is Travolta. She's still in her mid 20's and is attractive in a girl next door way which American studios love in their British actresses . I think whoever her agent is probably rushing her breakthrough in America a little too hard, she should have done a few drama shows in the U.K and maybe done the odd film, get her name known and gone over there to make a HBO show or something. But I wish her the best she seems like a sweet girl and hope it works out for her.
  • Options
    plateletplatelet Posts: 26,387
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Occulus has been getting mixed reviews and hasn't set the box offices alight..

Yeah my personal opinion of Occulus would be For a syfy channel movie it was at the decent end - unfortunately for a "proper" film - meh
  • Options
    MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Saw Karen Gillan in GOTG tonight.

She wasn't in it an awful lot but when she was i thought she was good. Sadly she didn't have a lot of screentime. I expected her role to be much bigger but she was playing second fiddle to the main baddie.
  • Options
    trollfacetrollface Posts: 13,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, if we're comparing which Doctor Who alumni have landed the biggest roles, then Matt Smith has landed what has been described as a "major role" in the next three Terminator films, and his role is reported to be big in the first film, but much larger in the second and third.

Not that I think it should be a competition, especially as they're still friends and hang out together in LA, but there you go.
  • Options
    TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just watched Guardians of the Galaxy the other day. I know absolutely nothing about the comic books, and I wasn't initially going to see it because I personally thought the trailer made it look like a piss-poor cheesy American comedy, but the fantastic reviews encouraged me to go see it and I'm glad I did as it was one of the best films I've ever seen. I don't know about anyone else, but it had a real Star Wars: The Original Trilogy vibe about it.

Karen Gillan was all right in it. I don't think she had the best performance, but it was far from bad. And as other people have mentioned, she wasn't really in it all that much. Anyway, IIRC her character survived so presumably she'll be in the inevitable sequel (as I've already mentioned, I know nothing about the comic books).
  • Options
    Vexed womanVexed woman Posts: 801
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good luck to her, but it's a hard slog to get and maintain good parts.
    I thought the actress who played Madam Pompadour Sophia Myles had a good chance,
    and after The Night of the Doctor, I thought Paul Mcgann would get much more work, unless he's turning down work I don't get it.:confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be fair, I didn't think that Guardians of the Galaxy was going to be any good, but, after a ton of friends told me how amazing it was, I went and saw it with the wife. It is a really good movie (the number one movie of the year thus far, I believe). It manages to hit all of the right notes in the right way and at the right time.

Although Karen Gillan was mostly unrecognizable in the movie and her part wasn't very big, there are obviously sequels coming so her role might grow in the future movies. I wish her the best.