Options

Taylor Swift's sales for "Red"

1235»

Comments

• Options
    Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I find a lot of taylor lyrics very touching and many can relate to what she is writing as its real, not just made up lyrics that most artists write. And she cleverly puts hidden messages in many of her songs.
    If I want to listen to mind bending lyrics I only have to put on rush and listen to the master of lyric writing professor Neil Peart.:)

I love the master at work in this song, amazing, think of the song title when reading the lyrics and see what Mr Peart is doing.

http://www.lyricsdepot.com/rush/anagram-for-mongo.html

Sorry to bring her up but people like Adele is for me that lyricitst i can relate to I think it has as much to do with being in the same age bracket and her being British i find Talor can have a very American view on things on which i can't relate :). And i do to although i hate trying to find the bolds in the lyrics in the booklet so go on line cheating i know :p

And for my mind altering lyrics there is only one lady GL and that is the mighty Kate Bush had Hounds Of Love on earlier Woman is pure genius :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I find a lot of taylor lyrics very touching and many can relate to what she is writing as its real, not just made up lyrics that most artists write. And she cleverly puts hidden messages in many of her songs.
    If I want to listen to mind bending lyrics I only have to put on rush and listen to the master of lyric writing professor Neil Peart.:)

I love the master at work in this song, amazing, think of the song title when reading the lyrics and see what Mr Peart is doing.

http://www.lyricsdepot.com/rush/anagram-for-mongo.html

Hey GL. Long time no speak! Just interested in your comment bolded above. Do you mean there are general layers and hidden meanings underneath her lyrics or are you referring to the hidden messages in her lyrics/liner notes regarding who some of the songs are about, etc? I've always felt that the latter is a bit gimmicky and as something that she may come to regret as she matures (in the sense that it gives the media/public more access to her private life and makes people speculate about her relationships rather than focusing on the music. These are all good for sales but not sure if it's exactly healthy for one's private life). Personally, I actually think she's a better writer than that and she doesn't need to leave those messages/codes. Just interested in your take on this as a fan.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Waldstein wrote: »
    Hey GL. Long time no speak! Just interested in your comment bolded above. Do you mean there are general layers and hidden meanings underneath her lyrics or are you referring to the hidden messages in her lyrics/liner notes regarding who some of the songs are about, etc? I've always felt that the latter is a bit gimmicky and as something that she may come to regret as she matures (in the sense that it gives the media/public more access to her private life and makes people speculate about her relationships rather than focusing on the music. These are all good for sales but not sure if it's exactly healthy for one's private life). Personally, I actually think she's a better writer than that and she doesn't need to leave those messages/codes. Just interested in your take on this as a fan.

It dont bother me either way TBH, its clever stuff and its not all relationship related. Taylor writes about her life nothing will change that so relationships will play a big part in that, I cant see how she will regret anything as its her life good or bad it goes into songs. I think taylor is at a level now that she ignores all the powder puff comments made about her personal life details in her songs. She is always very open about it and has basically said she dont care what the people she is writing about, especially those who have wronged her think about it
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It dont bother me either way TBH, its clever stuff and its not all relationship related. Taylor writes about her life nothing will change that so relationships will play a big part in that, I cant see how she will regret anything as its her life good or bad it goes into songs. I think taylor is at a level now that she ignores all the powder puff comments made about her personal life details in her songs. She is always very open about it and has basically said she dont care what the people she is writing about, especially those who have wronged her think about it

Fair enough. Was just interested in a fan's perspective.

My regret comment is less about caring what people think of her and more really to do with maturing and reaching a stage where you're more discreet and less, for lack of a better word, dramatic than you were as a teen, i.e., the age she was for each previous album (I think we can all look back and laugh/cringe at some of our actions in our teenage years :D). Whether it was her intention or not, those messages invited speculation and I imagine should she ever reach a stage where she's tired of such scrutiny, she might regret it. We all had the luxury of privacy when we were her age and I can't imagine what it must be like to live life under such an intense spotlight. The above is not a criticism btw, just an observation as I've come across a few people who have come to regret sharing their lives so openly either through music or more explicitly in interviews.

Of course, all of this is speculation on my part but I just wanted to clarify my point if I wasn't clear.

Completely off-topic but GL, did you go to the Gaga show in the end and if so what was your verdict?

On-topic, very, very impressive sales especially in this climate. I'm more interested, however, in how it fares post the initial sales rush and then, how the more pop oriented direction will dictate her future path and transition from teenage to adult artist.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fair enough. Was just interested in a fan's perspective.

My regret comment is less about caring what people think of her and more really to do with maturing and reaching a stage where you're more discreet and less, for lack of a better word, dramatic than you were as a teen, i.e., the age she was for each previous album (I think we can all look back and laugh/cringe at some of our actions in our teenage years :D). Whether it was her intention or not, those messages invited speculation and I imagine should she ever reach a stage where she's tired of such scrutiny, she might regret it. We all had the luxury of privacy when we were her age and I can't imagine what it must be like to live life under such an intense spotlight. The above is not a criticism btw, just an observation as I've come across a few people who have come to regret sharing their lives so openly either through music or more explicitly in interviews.

Of course, all of this is speculation on my part but I just wanted to clarify my point if I wasn't clear.

Completely off-topic but GL, did you go to the Gaga show in the end and if so what was your verdict?

On-topic, very, very impressive sales especially in this climate. I'm more interested, however, in how it fares post the initial sales rush and then, how the more pop oriented direction will dictate her future path and transition from teenage to adult artist.

I think as taylor gets older so the content of her songs will change, its not about songwriting maturity its about the subject matter. Some people think taylors lyrics are childish as they dont understand the reasons why she is doing it. And of course on fearless, speak now and red we have songs having very mature lyrics. But lyrics are really in the eye of the beholder and how they touch you, so there is no actual formular for great lyrics, but taylor certainly is very good at writing personal stories in her songs and its these songs that contain some of her best work.

I am surprised red has not sold more TBH considering part of the album is aimed at chart pop fans who sometimes buy albums based on just one single. Hopefully if sales are not as good as expected she will revert back to a more traditional taylor sound on her next album, so for me I am not too bothered if the album flops sales wise. Its also funny that the extra songs on the deluxe edtion are superior to most of the songs on the standard album, says it all really. And the average age of people I know who have bought red is 31 so the comments that taylor is a teenagers artist is normally only thrown around by people who are trying to discredit her:D
    Never went to gaga in the end, one of my daughters friends really wanted to go so gave up my ticket to her! I was only going to keep a couple of the other parents company.:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think as taylor gets older so the content of her songs will change, its not about songwriting maturity its about the subject matter. Some people think taylors lyrics are childish as they dont understand the reasons why she is doing it. And of course on fearless, speak now and red we have songs having very mature lyrics. But lyrics are really in the eye of the beholder and how they touch you, so there is no actual formular for great lyrics, but taylor certainly is very good at writing personal stories in her songs and its these songs that contain some of her best work.

I am surprised red has not sold more TBH considering part of the album is aimed at chart pop fans who sometimes buy albums based on just one single. Hopefully if sales are not as good as expected she will revert back to a more traditional taylor sound on her next album, so for me I am not too bothered if the album flops sales wise. Its also funny that the extra songs on the deluxe edtion are superior to most of the songs on the standard album, says it all really. And the average age of people I know who have bought red is 31 so the comments that taylor is a teenagers artist is normally only thrown around by people who are trying to discredit her:D
    Never went to gaga in the end, one of my daughters friends really wanted to go so gave up my ticket to her! I was only going to keep a couple of the other parents company.:)

Where she goes and how she grows is an interesting one alright. I wouldn't call myself a fan (and I do have certain reservations/criticisms about a few things but that's a another topic completely) but I appreciate her talent as a songwriter. Arguments about maturity or lack thereof aside, I think what she does, she does well and it'll be interesting to see her progress.

I actually thought the Swift/Civil Wars/Rick Rubin collaboration suited her very well, showed growth and that perhaps it might be a sign of things to come but an album in that vein wouldn't be a huge seller of course.

The question now I suppose is how does she reconcile the two styles in the future?

Gaga surprised me GL, she put on a very good show. A little bit too theatrical at the beginning but once that settled, it was very enjoyable. You might have liked it! ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Where she goes and how she grows is an interesting one alright. I wouldn't call myself a fan (and I do have certain reservations/criticisms about a few things but that's a another topic completely) but I appreciate her talent as a songwriter. Arguments about maturity or lack thereof aside, I think what she does, she does well and it'll be interesting to see her progress.

I actually thought the Swift/Civil Wars/Rick Rubin collaboration suited her very well, showed growth and that perhaps it might be a sign of things to come but an album in that vein wouldn't be a huge seller of course.

The question now I suppose is how does she reconcile the two styles in the future?

Gaga surprised me GL, she put on a very good show. A little bit too theatrical at the beginning but once that settled, it was very enjoyable. You might have liked it! ;)

I am always up for a good live show so yeah am sure I would have enjoyed it, people who went did say it felt a bit "false and unnatural" but guess all the blazing lights and big stage show hid most of the imperfections and guess her fans were just happy to be there. I dont mind some of gaga's stuff but personally think she is on the decline now, she will need to shift what she does to keep it going. She needs to concentrate on the music rather then the "icon" side to survive long term.
    But back to taylor, yes the Civil wars stuff is fine as a side project but its not really taylor and would not sell so cant see taylor ever doing this sort of thing. Taylor wrote the song but of course CW had a big input into the final sound, I would love to hear the origional version taylor wrote to compare, would also love to hear the demo version of the best song on red "all too well", on all accounts it was 10 minutes, shame she never put this on the deluxe album as she has other demo songs on there.

However taylor goes in the future she will be successful and as a touring artsit she will always sell out everywhere she plays in the world. Am looking forward to seeing what dates outside the US she is gonna play and if she is gonna tour south america and other places she has never been before.
    Guess they are waiting to see how succesful red is before deciding on the tour schedue outside the US guess thats why she is touring the US first this time.