Options

Beheading scene cut from Robot of Sherwood

Comments

• Options
    AirboraeAirborae Posts: 2,649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Absolutely justified. With the threat of a British man being beheaded in the news this week, the BBC did the right thing. I'm sure our hearts go out to all the families concerned at the moment, especially with the two American journalists.
  • Options
    andy1231andy1231 Posts: 5,100
    Forum Member
    Totalaly over the top. If this was a gritty crime drama or a war drama that included a graphic scene of someone being beheaded in all its grizzly detail, then yes I would agree, censor it. But it's not. It's Doctor Who, It's a light hearted piece of entertainment that no one believes is real, even little kids. If they show any of the Star Wars films on TV are they going to cut out the light saber scenes ? Of course not. Whilst it is totally tragic that these innocent people are being butchered by those savages, cutting a scene in Dr Who is not going to make the slightest bit of difference.
  • Options
    nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If they had shown this episode last week someone would probably have tried to blame yesterday's murder on it as being a copycat.
  • Options
    Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    I can see why they'd do it but it seems a bit much though.
  • Options
    Sophie ~Oohie~Sophie ~Oohie~ Posts: 10,395
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh right, it wasn't obvious. Did they change that cause they want him/it to come back later on? :confused:
    platelet wrote: »
    more likely suicide bombers are not cool
    Aw. I was hoping it was because he'd pop up in a future episode. :blush:
  • Options
    be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It would be better to just pull the episode and show it later in the run.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It would be better to just pull the episode and show it later in the run.
    The ongoing stuff wouldn't follow on properly if they did that. And ISIS are unlikely to go away within the next few weeks.
  • Options
    johnny_dolejohnny_dole Posts: 2,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    its not even that good an episode anyway

but yeah, knee jerk reaction, its fiction for gods sake, just the media trying to make us all care about something thats not even our fault nor has anything to do with our own personal lives only the governments and the poor guys family

man , it takes some nerve to wanna go out to those countries

plus
    in the ep the guy who gets beheaded doesnt even die anyway

i understand it though, just wonder how far all this will go, whats next a black guy gets killed and we cut a scene of a black guy getting killed, ect someone gets aids and we cut a scene of someone getting aids? ect they've been doing this for years

for me its now only a thing cos the media have made it a thing, as usual - why the hell should i or the viewers feel guilty about a work of fiction totally unrelated maybe if it was the doctor pissing on the guys grave yelling "I dont care boo-ha" id have a problem
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    its not even that good an episode anyway

but yeah, knee jerk reaction, its fiction for gods sake, just the media trying to make us all care about something thats not even our fault nor has anything to do with our own personal lives only the governments and the poor guys family
    Maybe, just maybe, this woman's family might see it differently:

A man held in connection with a suspected beheading of an 82-year-old woman in north London remains under police guard in hospital.

The body of Palmira Silva was found in a garden behind a house in Edmonton on Thursday afternoon.

Officers found her collapsed at the scene where she was pronounced dead.

A 25-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of murder by armed officers who discharged a Taser. Officers plan to question him when he is well enough.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-29074272

Yes, it's all down to sensitivity.

And yes, DW is fiction, and it's only a TV programme, so we should be less concerned about a scene being cut than very recent events concerning people being beheaded in real life. Otherwise, we have got our priorities all wrong.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22
    Forum Member
    ;-)
    Didn't Tom Baker nearly get the chop in Masque of Mandragora as well ?
    It wouldn't bother me if it was included, but people with nothing better to do than compare fiction with the real world and deem it bad taste would complain.

Going back even further, wasn't the archer Hal going to get his head chopped off in The Time Warrior? Apologies if I'm mistaken, it's been a while since I saw it :)
  • Options
    plateletplatelet Posts: 26,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aw. I was hoping it was because he'd pop up in a future episode. :blush:

It would be a nice idea, but the scene was still there right to the last minute (apparently) - so it wouldn't be in this series if it did happen
  • Options
    johnny_dolejohnny_dole Posts: 2,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »

And yes, DW is fiction, and it's only a TV programme, so we should be less concerned about a scene being cut than very recent events concerning people being beheaded in real life. Otherwise, we have got our priorities all wrong.

you kind of made your point invalid with that comment :D

no ones forcing his family to watch it
  • Options
    johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    On on hand, you have the horror of a life cut short, the grief of real families, the public shock, the political and ideological anger at the actions of a brutal terrorist organisation.

On the other hand, you have two seconds of a light entertainment programme. Which is really more important?

Ask yourselves, are you the sort of person that walks into a stranger's cremation and comments, "Whew, did someone leave the oven on?" or "Was she this hot when she was alive?" If not, why not?
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, not at all. Only in the eyes of from those who lack any basic sensitivity and compassion, or those who believe that TV trumps all else.
    no ones forcing his family to watch it
    It's her family actually - the news that I linked to concerned an 82-year-old woman in North London, beheaded yesterday
  • Options
    Tony TigerTony Tiger Posts: 2,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, not at all. Only in the eyes of from those who lack any basic sensitivity and compassion, or those who believe that TV trumps all else.

It's her family actually - the news that I linked to concerned an 82-year-old woman in North London, beheaded yesterday
    Does it seem likely her family will be remotely concerned with what's going on in Doctor Who at a time like this?
  • Options
    Tom TitTom Tit Posts: 2,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Isn't that kind of the point though? There's violence happening all of the time. If we're going to be 'sensitive' then don't we have to be sensitive to everybody, not just when it's a high profile news case? Maybe we shouldn't have crime drama because switching on the TV and seeing a programme about a fictional murder might remind someone of the awful murder in their own family and upset them. How far do we take this 'sensitivity'? I

It's not about 'sensitivity' at all, it's just a way of avoiding complaints pre-emptively.

Does anyone really believe that the content of this week's episode of Doctor Who is anywhere at all in the list of concerns of a murdered man's family? Now, THAT is a notion detached from reality.

If a programme was okay last month then it's okay this month. The world hasn't changed. A few people might like to bury their head in the sand and pretend there's nothing bad happening in the world. Frankly, those people probably aren't watching the news anyway, will be blissfully unaware, and will probably be taking Doctor Who as the piece of escapism it is.

The people who would complain are the people who want to complain about things.
  • Options
    brouhahabrouhaha Posts: 662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

If you read that again, in context, I think you'll find mossy's point is an extremely valid one, particularly the last sentence.

I made a similar point a few years ago in the soaps forum when a bunch of posters were discussing picketing Granada Studios due to an episode of Coronation Street featuring guns being postponed in the immediate aftermath of the Cumbrian shootings. Apparently they felt their "right" to watch an episode of Corrie on a particular night trumped the sensitivities of those affected by tragic real life events. My advice for them to "grow up" resulted in a warning email from DS so I won't be so blunt this time around, even though my feelings haven't changed on issues like this.
    Tony Tiger wrote: »
    Does it seem likely her family will be remotely concerned with what's going on in Doctor Who at a time like this?

If you mean, Will they be sitting down on Saturday evening for a bit of light-hearted escapism when a beloved family member has just been taken from them in brutal, unimaginable circumstances?, I don't know but I'd say it's highly unlikely, as you imply. But is it just this poor woman's family who would find a beheading scene too distressing in the light of recent events? What about her friends, her neighbours, her colleagues and regular customers in the cafe where the news reports say she still worked? Are their feelings of upset insignificant when placed against others' wishes to watch a TV programme? Only a TV programme?
  • Options
    Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Going off the brief description of the "comic" scene in this thread, and the fact that the news has mysteriously gone quiet over the beheading of the old lady in London, and Isis won't go away too soon, if the Dr Who episode was shown uncut tomorrow I don't think the world would have descended into chaos.

I can understand the cut, but its a sad situation when everything has to watch its back and think what its doing.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    The ongoing stuff wouldn't follow on properly if they did that. And ISIS are unlikely to go away within the next few weeks.
    So why did the BBC show the Dalek episode?

IS are a group that kill people who wont convert or be like them and want to destroy everyone else.

It's insensitive to show the Daleks in a light entertainment programme why IS are in the news.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    So why did the BBC show the Dalek episode?

IS are a group that kill people who wont convert or be like them and want to destroy everyone else.

It's insensitive to show the Daleks in a light entertainment programme why IS are in the news.
    Because they can hardly edit round entire episodes and half of the general backstory! ^_^
  • Options
    Sufyaan_KaziSufyaan_Kazi Posts: 3,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    platelet wrote: »
    So rather than answer my question you insult me

Ah yes, courtesy...

Yes thats right because your post was stupid and doesn't deserve an answer. But maybe if I finish this post off by mentioning Clara's tits like you did it will make it all right?
  • Options
    saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    On on hand, you have the horror of a life cut short, the grief of real families, the public shock, the political and ideological anger at the actions of a brutal terrorist organisation.

On the other hand, you have two seconds of a light entertainment programme. Which is really more important?

Ask yourselves, are you the sort of person that walks into a stranger's cremation and comments, "Whew, did someone leave the oven on?" or "Was she this hot when she was alive?" If not, why not?

What a ludicrous comparison! What you describe is someone purposefully seeking to cause gross personal offence in a way that is just sociopathic. Its not even remotely comparable to a television show that has an entirely unconnected scene to a current news event that maybe, just maybe might make someone a bit uncomfortable if they happened to be tuning in. The actual likelihood is that anyone directly affected by the events would be too busy appreciating the utter tragedy and seriousness of the real life situation and grieving to even begin getting upset about Doctor Who. This sort of knee jerk censorship isn't for them. Its appealing to the professionally offended who like to get upset on behalf of other people and cry 'down with this sort of thing!'.

As has already been pointed out there sorts of tragic events are happening every day in every part of the world. And yet we don't constantly censor or sanction the media otherwise we might as well just broadcast the test card 24 hours a day. What is more offensive, far more offensive and far mor insidious is how just because the media latch onto a sad event for the sake of readers and watchers it suddenly becomes marked as sacred. Are the beheadings that have been given such saturation news coverage matter more than the similar atrocities that are occurring with alarming regularity-and often in country's we cosy up to? No they don't. So lets not place them on a pedestal and pretend cutting a few seconds of DW will make anything better. It won't. It just allows people to focus on the wrong thing. Again.
  • Options
    Jules 1Jules 1 Posts: 2,543
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As I said before, in these circumstances it is absolutely the right decision not to show the scene in question.

It is often the case that TV shows are cut due to similarities to something in the news around that time, the timing is very unfortunate.

Whereas the real life situation is absolutely tragic.

I would expect to be in a DVD at Christmas. and I dare say the scene will be shown at a later date.
  • Options
    AirboraeAirborae Posts: 2,649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just can't believe how insensitive some fans are. It was a justified action by the BBC and doesn't detract in any way shape or form from the plot. It'll be included on the Blu Ray/DVD/Downloads so why are some of you so upset over this? That is what I call a knee jerk reaction.
  • Options
    jtnorthjtnorth Posts: 5,081
    Forum Member
    Airborae wrote: »
    I just can't believe how insensitive some fans are. It was a justified action by the BBC and doesn't detract in any way shape or form from the plot. It'll be included on the Blu Ray/DVD/Downloads so why are some of you so upset over this? That is what I call a knee jerk reaction.

I agree.

Plus, quite apart from the poor families, it's a comedy episode, it's clearly intended to be a light, happy, funny episode - and apparently it is really funny going on the reviews. Maybe they also decided that that one joke just wouldn't be funny played this week, and would end the episode on a sour note never intended, easier to cut it. Maybe cutting it, at this time, keeps the episode as the writer intended it. It's not as if Gatiss was writing a story about terrorism.