Previous owner bodged my master socket? Does it need fixing? (pics)

Hi

After being on the phone to Sky to fix issues with my adsl speeds, I've recently become aware of master sockets and the test socket etc. Anyway, the adsl issue per se is another matter, but it brings me to another possible, related issue which might fix it.

The Sky operator described the master socket to over the phone and as it happened that was the very socket my router was using. I thought it was odd this socket was in the bedroom, so I had a look around at my other sockets. Lo, every single one of them was a 'master' socket. I have three, apparently.

Obviously that's not right. I assumed then that whoever had fitted the extensions had simply used master faceplates for whatever reason and that I would find the master socket by removing all the faceplates and seeing what I could see.

This is the one in the living room. I presume *this* is the master due to all the wires, but does this look right? Looks a bit of a mess to me but I've no idea (excuse the grime, it's behind a shelve unit).
http://img70.imageshack.us/i/loungek.jpg/

This is the socket in my bedroom for comparison.
http://img384.imageshack.us/i/bedroomh.jpg/

None of the removable faceplates have any wiring connected either, as they seem to in diagrams I've found on the net.

I want to identify it to: ensure I'm using the proper test socket (I notice no improvement of my adsl in any though); remove the ring wire (as advised on lots of sites); and to get it fixed if it would be beneficial (I'm 750m from the exchange but get attenuation of 30db, which I think is too high).

Any answers/opinions?

Thanks.

Comments

• StarkickerStarkicker Posts: 1,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No that isn't right. It appears the extensions have somehow been connected back to BT's side of the connection rather than, as they should have been, to the back of faceplate. It'll also be why plugging into the test socket, which should disconnect the extensions but in your case won't, makes no difference.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24
    Forum Member
    I dejectedly presume I'm going to be liable for the cost of fixing this... please someone tell me otherwise.
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Haute Pie wrote: »
    I dejectedly presume I'm going to be liable for the cost of fixing this... please someone tell me otherwise.
    You presume correctly.

Whatever idiot wired the phones up broke every rule in the book. The ONLY wires allowed to be connected to the backing box of the true master socket are those installed by Openreach on behalf of your line service provider.

All customer side wiring MUST be connected to the terminals on the back of the faceplate. Obviously if you chose to install NTE5 style boxes as extensions you can wire to the "line" terminals. it is only the incoming line you cannot wire to.

I suspect whoever did this did not have the proper tool to terminate the extensions on the faceplate terminals so decided to use the screw terminals the line is terminated on. Very very naughty and lays you open to a world of trouble if Openreach evr have to come out to fix a fault.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24
    Forum Member
    chrisjr wrote: »
    You presume correctly.

Whatever idiot wired the phones up broke every rule in the book. The ONLY wires allowed to be connected to the backing box of the true master socket are those installed by Openreach on behalf of your line service provider.

All customer side wiring MUST be connected to the terminals on the back of the faceplate. Obviously if you chose to install NTE5 style boxes as extensions you can wire to the "line" terminals. it is only the incoming line you cannot wire to.

I suspect whoever did this did not have the proper tool to terminate the extensions on the faceplate terminals so decided to use the screw terminals the line is terminated on. Very very naughty and lays you open to a world of trouble if Openreach evr have to come out to fix a fault.

Yeah I know all the rules, I've come across them 100 times since googling this in the first place.

I can appreciate why BT would have a leg to stand on in making me liable for the costs in repair, as it wasn't them that caused the fault. However, I can't see me being in any legal trouble; the onus would be on them to prove it was me, as opposed to anyone else, who had committed any offence (and I haven't) in order to prosecute or issue a statutory fine.

That said, I am tempted to live dangerously, go in and carefully remove their dodgy extension. I've no need for the extensions as I have one cordless phone and one router, both of which I can run off the master.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,207
    Forum Member
    Haute Pie wrote: »
    I can appreciate why BT would have a leg to stand on in making me liable for the costs in repair, as it wasn't them that caused the fault. However, I can't see me being in any legal trouble; the onus would be on them to prove it was me, as opposed to anyone else, who had committed any offence (and I haven't) in order to prosecute or issue a statutory fine.
    I agree, I don't think that you would be in any legal trouble. However I am afraid that the fact is the Extension wiring is your responsibility. It doesn't matter who did it or when. If BT (or other service provider) need to call Openreach to fix it, you are liable for the bill.

If you feel able and can ID which are the extension cables, you may be able to carefully disconnect (cut?) them from the A & B terminals and reconnect them to the faceplate. Ensure that you have the correct tool for punching them down and that you wire Blue & White to 2 and White & Blue to 5 - connect NO others.

Be aware that if you screw up BT do have the right to bill you.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    just cut off the extension cables if they're not needed anyway.
    be sure that you know exactly which wires go off to the extensions. if you cut the bt incoming wire then you will have a problem!