windows 10 on laptop

noise747noise747 Posts: 30,806
Forum Member
✭✭✭
i put the preview version of Windows 10 on a mates Toshiba laptop today. The laptop is around 3 years old and running windows 7. Anyway he decided to try out Windows 10 and after waiting for 5 hours for the thing to update ( so slow), I noticed some difference compared to how it looked on my tower and on m,y old laptop.

First of all the notification side panel is not so high and it doe not have any of the options on the bottom, like settings and tablet mode.

Second this is for some reason it have a charms bar i thought windows 10 done away with that.

Third the start menu do not have a expand function.
I wonder why it is so different.

I wish now I had done a clean install and reinstalled his software, it may have been quick.

i also got a feeling that he will ask me to put windows 7 on as he was getting annoyed at some of the changes, like the way to set up wi-fi connection.

Comments

• call100call100 Posts: 7,278
    Forum Member
    Doesn't sound like it's installed properly........You can't expect too much from a preview.
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    call100 wrote: »
    Doesn't sound like it's installed properly........You can't expect too much from a preview.

It works ok, it is just looks different. Yeah i think I will do a clean install at some point. It just took ages to install and yet when I done it my computer it took about 20 miins if that.

It is pretty stable to be honest, the main reason I have gone back to 8.1 is because of hardware problems.
  • TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought Windows 10 was another Windows version you were never going to install because it's awful?

The answer is that your mates' laptop is running an earlier build not the latest build. One of the updates in the update section of settings is preview builds - make sure he's on the fast ring and check for new builds.
  • RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In spite of recent updates and the roll-up, I've still been having problems with Start Button Menu (mostly) not working. Nothing happens when you left- click it.
    (Right-click OK. 'Settings' OK via Windows Explorer)

Also Metro Apps, eg the Calculator and the Store. They open and shut themselves down.

Apart from a week or so ago, there's not many people complaining, but I can't be the only one.

Actually, one person saying the updates hadn't fixed the start button registering issue, included a throwaway line that a Repair Install / In-place Upgrade seemed to work.

I did the same last night and my Build 9926 seems fixed too. Updates have been done and it's stayed fixed so far.

I post this so it shows up for anyone who is still having problems.
  • Mark39LondonMark39London Posts: 3,977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I put Windows 10 Beta on a spare laptop a few weeks ago (it is also 3-4 years old and was running Windows 7).

So far, so good. It's been totally stable and pretty usable for a beta version.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I put Windows 10 Beta on a spare laptop a few weeks ago (it is also 3-4 years old and was running Windows 7).

So far, so good. It's been totally stable and pretty usable for a beta version.

These are still alphas not betas.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TheBigM wrote: »
    I thought Windows 10 was another Windows version you were never going to install because it's awful?

it is not on my computer, it is on my mates computer.
    Yes i did install it for a little bit just to have a look, back on windows 8 myself now.
    I have my machine set up that I can swap from one to the other as my main Os is backed up using Acronis and so is windows 10.

I had to have a look, i can't really give my opinion if I do not look can I?
    but as my main Os, i doubt i will use it, windows 8.1 is fine now as i have it set up.

The answer is that your mates' laptop is running an earlier build not the latest build. One of the updates in the update section of settings is preview builds - make sure he's on the fast ring and check for new builds.

You did make me think then, did i put the wrong build on the USB, but no it is the latest build or the one i used anyway.

He text me not so long ago to say his caps light is not working now, but I warned him yesterday that there will be bugs.
  • Mark39LondonMark39London Posts: 3,977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    These are still alphas not betas.

Well to be completely accurate, it's a technical preview, but I'm not going to argue naming conventions. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well to be completely accurate, it's a technical preview, but I'm not going to argue naming conventions. :)

More for the benefit of lurkers who might read this thread :)

My point was that these builds are at a much earlier stage of development than what Microsoft typically releases as betas (which used to be betas to developers and then release candidates for everyone).

It's also because we also see "beta" labels applied to everything everywhere - GMail, Instagram etc etc where things are RTM-ready but no one wants to take bad press for bugs.

So just qualifying for people so they are more tolerant of bugs by understanding how early in the dev process we are.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    More for the benefit of lurkers who might read this thread :)

My point was that these builds are at a much earlier stage of development than what Microsoft typically releases as betas (which used to be betas to developers and then release candidates for everyone).

It's also because we also see "beta" labels applied to everything everywhere - GMail, Instagram etc etc where things are RTM-ready but no one wants to take bad press for bugs.

So just qualifying for people so they are more tolerant of bugs by understanding how early in the dev process we are.

I told my mate it was in very early development and will have bugs, saying that it will have bugs when it comes out of development. But he wanted to have a look as his windows 7 was playing up.
    Shocked me to be honest, because he do not normally got for new Operating systems until a couple of years after they are available.

thankfully the Laptop is not a machine that is too important and he will have to cope with it as it is for a few days until I can get there to sort it out again.
    I am going to do a clean install, because to be honest, it have to be quicker than waiting for windows 10 to do a update again.
  • Alan FAlan F Posts: 1,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »
    ......... But he wanted to have a look as his windows 7 was playing up.

.......... it have to be quicker than waiting for windows 10 to do a update again.

He tried to fix a flaky Windows 7 system by doing an update using a very early Windows 10 Technical Preview.

..... and he is surprised at the result. Just what did he expect?
  • Mr DosMr Dos Posts: 3,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    . . .it have to be quicker than waiting for windows 10 to do a update again . . .

The Windows 10 updates that take a while are probably new builds. This is effectively a new install - so takes some time (+ the time to download 3GB if you don't have FTTC). I have W10 in VMware, and for the last new build, I just left it running while I did something else. IIRC took < 30 min.

Has anyone noticed that Win10 supports mkv video in WMP ? Also re: video, I'm not very impressed with the live TV app - the quality is quite low compared to my regular TV card/Windows 7 setup, and you get ****ing adverts whenever you change channel - even for BBC1 !
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alan F wrote: »
    He tried to fix a flaky Windows 7 system by doing an update using a very early Windows 10 Technical Preview.

..... and he is surprised at the result. Just what did he expect?

i did it, but it was not that flaky, just now and again it would go to a black screen on start up and that was it, so he said, it did not happen when I was there.
    Anyway, windows 10 would replace windows 7.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mr Dos wrote: »
    The Windows 10 updates that take a while are probably new builds. This is effectively a new install - so takes some time (+ the time to download 3GB if you don't have FTTC). I have W10 in VMware, and for the last new build, I just left it running while I did something else. IIRC took < 30 min.

It took a lot longer than i expected and i have seen machines a lot slower than that get updated.
    Something went belly up, I am not blaming windows 10, it was just one of those things.
    i will sort it out at some point and reinstall from a clean install, he have not got that much software on it to be honest.
    Has anyone noticed that Win10 supports mkv video in WMP ? Also re: video, I'm not very impressed with the live TV app - the quality is quite low compared to my regular TV card/Windows 7 setup, and you get ****ing adverts whenever you change channel - even for BBC1 !

Never noticed, but then I never really use WMP.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mr Dos wrote: »

What app is that?
  • Alan FAlan F Posts: 1,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i did it, but it was not that flaky, just now and again it would go to a black screen on start up and that was it, so he said, it did not happen when I was there.
    Anyway, windows 10 would replace windows 7.

The point of an upgrade is to preserve your data, programs and settings. It is almost certain that the root cause of the "black screen" is something within one of those categories and thus may go on to cause problems in the new install.

The upgrade route has never been intended to 'repair' a system. A clean install is always preferable and usually quicker.
  • Mr DosMr Dos Posts: 3,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What app is that?

It's called Live TV - seems to be provided by FilmOn. See pic

http://s12.postimg.org/x49t7h5h9/w10livetv.jpg
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alan F wrote: »
    The point of an upgrade is to preserve your data, programs and settings. It is almost certain that the root cause of the "black screen" is something within one of those categories and thus may go on to cause problems in the new install.

But it still does replace Windows 7, other wise it would not be a upgrade.

The upgrade route has never been intended to 'repair' a system. A clean install is always preferable and usually quicker.[/QUOTE]

I know, I know.

The black screen problem seems to have gone.
    anyway we thought we would try it and i thought it would have been quicker. It was a mistake and we rectify it at some point. Ok i will rectify it at some point

I myself, prefer a clean install, always have done since windows 98.