Options

Contactless limit to go up to £30

Comments

• Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,857
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    I bet you were one of the people complaining when Chip and Pin cards came out and you were demanding that you be allowed to keep your "normal" swipe card.

I was a bit dubious of it when it first came out, but I could understand why it was required and thought it was a better idea than the swipe idea.
    My problem with it was that people seemed to stand too close when I was putting my pin in, people now seems to not do that.

contactless have in my opinion have undone all that security we was told was required to stop fraud. If i can not find my card I panic, as i know how easy it is now for someone to pick it up and use it at any shop that have contactless.

I knew something like this would come, it been on the cards for years, I just thought it would be a bit slower to come in, but then once the banks have their eye on something they will brainwash people to accept it and that is what they have done by not giving people the choice .
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If (like me) you don't like contactless payment. The simple solution is don't use it (it's not compulsory) you MUST enter your pin for 1st time use so...

Although i did serve a very elderly lady last week who rocked that card machine last week, no messing with this old lady BISH BASH bosh & she was done.
  • Options
    nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Halifax, at least, seem to be saying that contactless payments will have the same level of fraud protection, ie you'll get your money back, as long as you tell them you've lost your card.

The card will still randomly request the PIN to be entered as well.

How long will it be before they can easily clone the contactless function so they can carry on using your card without you realising?

Until then you are likely to notice you've lost your card and contact the supplier.
  • Options
    dslrocksdslrocks Posts: 7,207
    Forum Member
    noise747 wrote: »
    If you are doing eveything by card it is easy to forget how much you are spending. It is fine if your got loads of money, but some people don't and just don't realise how much they have spent.

I agree that is not the bank or card companies fault, but they are the ones who are trying to get people to spend more with cards.

Contactless cards are worse than chip and pin because they do not decline, so that coffee you have paid for may have overdrawn your account.
    But surely if you're in a tight spot and don't have that much money in your account, you'd be keeping a closer track of your spending, either mentally by keeping a rough guide of how much you've spent, or making a note of it in your phone/notebook?

It is not the bank's responsibility to keep a track of your spending, the idea that they somehow are encouraging people to spend more by using a card doesn't stand up to scrutiny.

If you know that you have x amount in your account, and buying that £3.25 coffee will tip you into the red, then don't buy it. Simple - nobody is forcing a gun to your head to make the transaction.

Also if you pay by card then the company's name and date will appear on your statement, and you'll know where the money has gone. So if you see ten entries for starbucks each week, then you may know it's time to cut down!
  • Options
    LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    nanscombe wrote: »
    Halifax, at least, seem to be saying that contactless payments will have the same level of fraud protection, ie you'll get your money back, as long as you tell them you've lost your card.

The card will still randomly request the PIN to be entered as well.

How long will it be before they can easily clone the contactless function so they can carry on using your card without you realising?

Until then you are likely to notice you've lost your card and contact the supplier.

The security on any payment system is always going to get hacked eventually. That's one of the reasons they keep coming up with new methods of securing them. It's an arms race and also a balance between convenience and how secure it is too.

Talking of arms, I'm still hoping we'll eventually get biometric security so I don't have to bother carrying around a card at all. I think it would look suspicious if someone went into Tesco and wafted a severed hand over the reader, so hand theft (or eyes or whatever they use) is unlikely to be an issue ;).
  • Options
    tealadytealady Posts: 26,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only thing I don't like about the increase is that if for some reason my card is lost, dropped or stolen, then there is a window where it can be used before I notice and inform the bank. In which case, I could out of pocket for £100 to £150 (on the basis of 5 x £30 transactions) before the chip and pin request kicks in.
  • Options
    nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lyricalis wrote: »
    Talking of arms, I'm still hoping we'll eventually get biometric security so I don't have to bother carrying around a card at all. I think it would look suspicious if someone went into Tesco and wafted a severed hand over the reader, so hand theft (or eyes or whatever they use) is unlikely to be an issue ;).

A severed digit, or hand, is likely to be less noticeable at an ATM where people are supposed to keep their distance and you can £300+ of untraceable cash a day.
  • Options
    Paul237Paul237 Posts: 8,656
    Forum Member
    Tassium wrote: »
    Personal insults, always a sign of a losing argument. ;)
    If we are going to the way of insults, maybe i should just point out, that you and the other people who think this contacless is a good thing, could just be brainwashed.

Maybe the advert of some person going down some big water slide using contactless on the way down. have had a strange effect on you. As if it works that quick anyway.

Or maybe it have not, but calling people Luddites just because they may not trust something or think that it is something they do not need or want, is a bit off to be honest.
    i do not mind technology, but it don't mean I want to have my life run by it.

Is calling someone a "luddite" an insult? To me, it's just someone who seems to distrust something new purely because it's new. And -- in my opinion -- there are some people who are acting that way in this thread.

Besides, it's not really an argument anyway. The contactless limit is being raised to £30 and the number of transactions is rising. That's just factual, so there's nothing really to argue over.

Either use it, or don't use it. No one's forcing you to do either.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Paul237 wrote: »
    The contactless limit is being raised to £30 and the number of transactions is rising. That's just factual, so there's nothing really to argue over.
    The limit won't be changed until September, so it's not a reality yet. Given the banks changed their minds over withdrawing cheques, it is still possible (though unlikely) that if enough people complain they will not implement the change.
  • Options
    panixspanixs Posts: 920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's interesting reading the difference of opinion from people on here who go to London and those who don't. You have to realise that London has been introducing contactless since 2008 so 7 years. The rest of the country will now be catching up. I work for one of the big banks and it's very telling that our company has made digital/online banking its own division and moved it away from the branch division. Technology such as contactless is now looked after by actual tech people rather than trying to convince the branch network senior management.

Around the previous member mentioning the u turn on cheques I think the banks have decided to wait it out until no one is using them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    tealady wrote: »
    The limit won't be changed until September, so it's not a reality yet. Given the banks changed their minds over withdrawing cheques, it is still possible (though unlikely) that if enough people complain they will not implement the change.

Withdrawing cheques is a much bigger change than increasing a limit of existing technology by a tenner...
  • Options
    CryolemonCryolemon Posts: 8,670
    Forum Member
    I do not trust the banks enough for them to give me any loss back to be honest.

They legally have to give you any losses from fraud back IIRC.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Withdrawing cheques is a much bigger change than increasing a limit of existing technology by a tenner...
    Indeed it is, but as the contactless change hasn't occurred, it isn't fully correct to call it factual if there is a very small chance that it could not be implemented. Hence I don't agree with your last sentence that "there is nothing to argue over".
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Indeed it is, but as the contactless change hasn't occurred, it isn't fully correct to call it factual if there is a very small chance that it could not be implemented. Hence I don't agree with your last sentence that "there is nothing to argue over".

Talk about splitting hairs!

The first line of the article says: "The spending limit on contactless cards is to be increased to £30 from September 2015".

That's good enough for me.
  • Options
    HenryGartenHenryGarten Posts: 24,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I am very pleased that the limit is going up. I have often had to try and keep the cost of a shop below £20 in order to use contactless.

I totally like contactless regardless of what the naysayers suggest.
  • Options
    Rhythm StickRhythm Stick Posts: 1,581
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We have such a thing as a local newspaper and when these people are caught and prosecuted their names are int hat local newspaper and so far they have all be Eastern European names and they also say where the come from, mainly Romania
    Free movement, not such a good idea.

but as i said it is few and far between, because a lot of machines have cameras focused on them now.
    the one i will not use is at the back of our Butter market, it is a stand alone thin that was put in last year. i would not trust that. i know someone who use it once and he said it was so slow, and took ages to give him his card back.

Yes the Hereford times. Which has such a thing as a "website". And when these things are news, its on this new thing called the internet.

So anytime you're capable, post the relevant article from the Hereford times website.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes the Hereford times. Which has such a thing as a "website". And when these things are news, its on this new thing called the internet.

So anytime you're capable, post the relevant article from the Hereford times website.
    I think this is near enough http://www.itv.com/news/2012-04-05/atm-fraud-squads-how-to-protect-your-money/
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Except its not, is it?

Whatstheirname explicitly referred to incidents in Hereford and definitively blamed them on "eastern Europeans".

If the charge is " most of the cash machine fraud in the UK is carried out by Romanians " it would be. I have several Polish & Russian friends in Herefordshire and to be frank it was quite insulting to read.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Except its not, is it?

Whatstheirname explicitly referred to incidents in Hereford and definitively blamed them on "eastern Europeans".

If the charge is " most of the cash machine fraud in the UK is carried out by Romanians " it would be. I have several Polish & Russian friends in Herefordshire and to be frank it was quite insulting to read.

From the link
    "The fact is 92 percent of all ATM fraud we see in this country is committed by Romanian nationals. Very, very tight communities, very tight gangs.

– DCI Paul Barnard"
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And?

From what I can tell, there has been 1 conviction involving cash machine tampering in Hereford in 2008, by a Romanian Adu Nunu. There was a recent instance of cash machine tampering at Ledbury Tesco, for which nobody has been caught.

So
    1. Of the "few" instances (read 2) reported in Herefordshire, 1 was definitively by a Romanian.
    2. So it's not eastern Europeans, its romanian gangs specifically. Great way to tarnish and demonise the sizeable foreign population in Herefordshire, the vast majority of which are not Romanian.
    3. Noise747 referred to "free movement not such a good idea,". If they had been paying attention, they'd have released that up until 1/1/2014 - Romanians had never had the ability to have freedom of movement in the UK. All incidents in herefordshire have been before that date. So basically making a political point with no basis in reality it would appear.

Got any problems with the above?
  • Options
    LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    nanscombe wrote: »
    A severed digit, or hand, is likely to be less noticeable at an ATM where people are supposed to keep their distance and you can £300+ of untraceable cash a day.

So you're saying that the solution is to get rid of cash then? No way of getting cash and this theoretical situation goes away.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is calling someone a "luddite" an insult? To me, it's just someone who seems to distrust something new purely because it's new. And -- in my opinion -- there are some people who are acting that way in this thread.
    i do not distrust technology because it is new, there is a fair bit of technology i would have had from the start if I could have afforded it, like SSD for a start. i had a DVD recorder more or less when they came out and a PVR once they came down in price. It I distrust new technology then I would have stayed away from them and more.

I bet I had a CD burner before most people on here, Scisi Yamaha with dos based software.

What i distrust is the security issue of these new cards and the banks, because if they can get out of of paying for losses they will.

Besides, it's not really an argument anyway. The contactless limit is being raised to £30 and the number of transactions is rising. That's just factual, so there's nothing really to argue over.

Either use it, or don't use it. No one's forcing you to do either.

But they are forcing people to have these cards, that is my argument or one of them.
    If the banks asked people if they want a contactless card then fine, i have nothing against that as then people will have that choice, but to dump them on people where they asked or not is a different thing.

The Halifax will change the card to a standard one at the moment but for how long, but why should I have to go through the hassle of doing that? Why did not just ask first?

Simple to do, send a letter a few weeks before the new card id due, saying they will send them a contactless card, if they do not want a contactless card then fill in the form and return or logged into your online banking and opt out there.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cryolemon wrote: »
    They legally have to give you any losses from fraud back IIRC.

you trust them more than I do.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Not everything that goes in the paper ends up on their website.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Except its not, is it?

But i never said that all Romanians is involved with cash machine fraud.
    I have a polish friend as well and she have been here for many years and she herself said the worse thing that happened was to open our door to Eastern Europe and allow the flood. she even says that a lot of the crime is now by Eastern europeans, but again not all Eastern Europeans are involved with crime.

She also thinks that it is too easy for them now as well. she worked hard to get where she is