Back in time for dinner BBC2 8pm

Comments

• Ella NutElla Nut Posts: 8,887
    Forum Member
    Polomini wrote: »
    Actually, my kitchen (which I had done in about 1994) looked pretty much like that one in the programme last night. It was a very light wood (maple) with black granite and corian worktops, stainless steel appliances (including an American-style fridge-freezer), and pull-out larder units. And Dualit kettle and toaster (I still have that), and the Alessia lemon juicer (which the dog knocked off the worktop and broke, sadly).

So not that out of order.

One thing I puzzled about, though, was the assertion that the gastropub started in the 90s - I worked in two in the mid 1980s and they weren't by any means unique then.

You might have had that style of kitchen and those appliances but it wasn't typically 90s in my view.

Magnet kitchens advert from 1993 here and considering installing one of these in 1993 you would expect to keep it for 10 years or so wouldn't you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALUM8KJScmA
  • FuturespectFuturespect Posts: 847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it all depends on wealth. A nice kitchen from the late-'90s still looks modern. But our kitchen was (and is) from the '80s.

This also happened during BBC Four's TV on Trial series about ten years ago. Their period living rooms were ahead of their time for most, because only-just-released items were unaffordable at launch for the majority. Their living room from the '80s looked like ours in the early-'90s, etc.

In other words, lots of us are a dozen-odd years behind on permanent furnishings.
  • Ella NutElla Nut Posts: 8,887
    Forum Member
    I think it all depends on wealth. A nice kitchen from the late-'90s still looks modern. But our kitchen was (and is) from the '80s.

This also happened during BBC Four's TV on Trial series about ten years ago. Their period living rooms were ahead of their time for most, because only-just-released items were unaffordable at launch for the majority. Their living room from the '80s looked like ours in the early-'90s, etc.

In other words, lots of us are a dozen-odd years behind on permanent furnishings.

I'm aware of the wealth aspect. That's why I posted the link to the Magnet advert from 1994. So that's brand new, and they're still in the paneled wood style with most having light worktops etc. In fact one of them does in fact have a bottle green coloured accessory... a set of scales.

Also even just a quick google images check of 1990s kitchens shows many more in the style I am talking about than the minimalist look that followed.
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    silentNate wrote: »
    Did this in either the 1950's or 1960's programme, I'm sorry you missed it.

Were there Donor kebabs in the 1950s and 1960s ?

Visits to the Chippie should be every decade. They wouldn't need one of those awkward tin openers.
  • FuturespectFuturespect Posts: 847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ella Nut wrote: »
    In fact one of them does in fact have a bottle green coloured accessory... a set of scales.

I've a bottle-green kettle. Come at me!

You're probably right - in fact, as far as what you're saying goes, I agree with you - but high-end kitchens from the tail of that decade still look quite nice to me; granite tops were common by then. If Britney featured, it had to be 1998 at the earliest.
  • ukcarterukcarter Posts: 314
    Forum Member
    lindenlea wrote: »
    Favourite moments of this episode: Rochelle and the girls singing along to Britney in the people carrier whilst Fred had his hands over his ears … and the sheer pleasure they found in eating fresh-from-the-field veg.

Yes, the singing scene made be laugh out loud. They do seem to be a lovely family and enjoy each other's company.
  • 80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ella Nut wrote: »
    That's what I thought too. It was not indicative of the 90s at all, all that Dualit stuff for a start is very modern. You only have to watch re-runs of The Price Is Right to see that the in colour for kettles (which were plastic), toasters etc was in fact bottle green or maybe sunshine yellow.

Also wasn't there still a lot of pine kitchen cabinets, albeit with that stripped pine look, including a few glass panelled ones with back-lighting.

That sounds very 1990s to me.

That kitchen did look far too modern. I wonder if it wasn't their own actual fitted kitchen? They were just acting 'surprised'.
  • Frank EFrank E Posts: 111
    Forum Member
    I just watched the first one. It looks like I'm stuck in the 50s, I have Glenrick's Pilchard on wholemeal once or twice a fortnight and I have the same tin opener as in the programme.

I saw dripping sandwiches on sale in a sandwich shop in Yorkshire 1989. Ugh!

She's such a whiner, she's lucky she was at home, not out bringing in the wages. if she thought that was tough, an even tougher 1950s workplace wouldn't be for her. Why is it taking her so many hours to do so little?

It's a quite interesting cultural history programme, nevertheless.

Does the woman have a nervous system or muscular disorder affecting her face eg MG, MS, a palsy? Something doesn't look in working order at times but I can't quite place it. Perhaps a disability accounts for her dyspraxia. If that's the case, it seems quite wrong for the producers to put her up for public scrutiny for entertainment.
  • mikebukmikebuk Posts: 18,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In 1996 during the car journey, they were singing along to 'Baby One More Time' which was actually released in 1998. They then and still got the start of the Millennium year wrong.
  • dd68dd68 Posts: 17,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rochelle fascinates me, I like her
  • lindenlealindenlea Posts: 533
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mikebuk wrote: »
    In 1996 during the car journey, they were singing along to 'Baby One More Time' which was actually released in 1998.
    This doesn't bother me too much … it's late nineties, and I thought the visual was too funny to pass up.
    They then and still got the start of the Millennium year wrong.
    I agree, strictly speaking, but no one was ever going to celebrate the Gregorian calendar changing from 2 0 0 0 to 2 0 0 1. People were about to see 1 9 9 9 'clicking over' and were not going to ignore the fact. England only adopted the Gregorian calendar around 250 years ago and New Year began on 25th March before that - we also "lost" eleven days at the time, so I find it's all a bit arbitrary.
  • ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, yes, the "New Millenium" really started on Jan 1st 2001, but the program reflected what actually happened - big parties and the world going do-lally a year early. All those scenes of fireworks and the Millenium dome actually did happen at the end of 1999.
  • gwillson75gwillson75 Posts: 28
    Forum Member
    Regarding the '90s' kitchen;

It was last of the house make overs, so they probably were left with a kitchen that they would be happy to keep.
  • chestfieldchestfield Posts: 3,441
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gwillson75 wrote: »
    Regarding the '90s' kitchen;

It was last of the house make overs, so they probably were left with a kitchen that they would be happy to keep.
    Or is that their present-day kitchen that had been changed around "from decade to decade", and finally "back to normal" ?
    Forum Member
    Very possibly, but if it was their 'old' kitchen it was in good nick and they acted well :)

EDIT - It just seemed to me that the production company would likely have said dont worry we'll give you a brand new kitchen after ripping your house apart several times :)
  • EuanMebabeEuanMebabe Posts: 1,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is that their actual home? I assumed it was a set.
    Forum Member
    Pretty sure they said it was their actual home.
  • ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its probably simpler to put in a new "90s" kitchen rather than carefully remove the original and put it back. I agree with others that its likely the promise of a new kitchen was a bit of an incentive offered to them to compensate for spending several weeks making the programme.
  • EuanMebabeEuanMebabe Posts: 1,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If it's their own home, maybe they'll spend some of their fee on rehanging the front door so that it opens inwards. It's bugged me every week.

I'd also take out the inappropriate windows and have a bay window rebuilt that's in keeping with the rest of the street.
  • Laudrup1Laudrup1 Posts: 123
    Forum Member
    That idiot woman who repeatedly said some people were 'time poor' - no, dear, they're busy. That's 'busy'. Not 'time poor'. Grow up and drop the jargon.

Yeah, I'm not a fan of her at all.

Enjoyed the 90s episode.

Rochelle was looking good with her 'Rachel' haircut.
  • daisydeedaisydee Posts: 39,381
    Forum Member
    EuanMebabe wrote: »
    Is that their actual home? I assumed it was a set.

I thought that too, why keep on wrecking a real house when it would be so much easier to build sets?
  • davadsdavads Posts: 8,635
    Forum Member
    daisydee wrote: »
    [/B]

I thought that too, why keep on wrecking a real house when it would be so much easier to build sets?

I think they blurred the street name which led me to think it was their real house.
  • japarajapara Posts: 996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Andagha wrote: »
    I have a complaint, they didn't have chip and pin in the 90's..he should have paid with a cheque not the card...lol

That's incorrect although a lot of people still used cheques I worked in retail in the 90s and we used a card machine although here was not PIN numbers you signed the chit.
  • niceguy1966niceguy1966 Posts: 29,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whatever her cooking ability, and what people read into her facial expressions, Rochelle has a lovely family so she must be doing something right.

People need to look at their own priorities.
  • MontyzumaMontyzuma Posts: 184
    Forum Member
    It was their home. I was hoping they would be given a kitchen of the future for next week, full of Tomorrows World type garbage.