IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    kidspudkidspud Posts: 18,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jonmorris wrote: »
    How many people here have booked an appointment to try on a watch?

A blogger I know went earlier this week and did a story on it, and now a resident DS forum member has gone this morning (both tried on the £10k ones). Twitter is full of people who have done the same, with no intention of buying the most expensive ones - but presumably, from Apple's POV, trying on any of them might increase the chances of placing an order.

When you go for a try on, there are about a dozen different watches in the box. I expect apple don't care which ones you try on, a bit like Tiffany don't mind you trying on expensive jewellery.
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IvanIV wrote: »
    I wonder how many will choose a strap with a skin allergy
    The allergy often chooses you.

Sports straps are usually hypoallergenic but even then I bet some will react to it. It is just the same with leather, steel and aluminium ones, maybe even more so.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    The allergy often chooses you.

Sports straps are usually hypoallergenic but even then I bet some will react to it. It is just the same with leather, steel and aluminium ones, maybe even more so.

I looked at that Fitbit Surge that has this problem and it's a massive piece of plastic. If that clings to your sweaty wrist it's likely to cause some irritation. Especially because Chinese like to bathe everything in some chemicals, they probably put them on their cornflakes, too :D
  • Options
    clonmultclonmult Posts: 3,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IvanIV wrote: »
    I looked at that Fitbit Surge that has this problem and it's a massive piece of plastic. If that clings to your sweaty wrist it's likely to cause some irritation. Especially because Chinese like to bathe everything in some chemicals, they probably put them on their cornflakes, too :D

I've got the fitbit charge HR, same materials. No problems with skin irritation. The slightest problem with anything these days and its turned into scandal, epic failure, randomrubbish-gate.

Some people will experience irritation with the Apple Watch. Same goes for anything worn on the wrist. I've got an old Sekonda that I can't wear for that reason, and thats a traditional metal band.
  • Options
    welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well then - ordered my watch on launch day and got eta of 12-26 May but just had an email to say it's on it way for delivery tomorrow - can't wait early birthday present for me
  • Options
    gregrichardsgregrichards Posts: 4,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    welwynrose wrote: »
    Well then - ordered my watch on launch day and got eta of 12-26 May but just had an email to say it's on it way for delivery tomorrow - can't wait early birthday present for me

I ordered my 42mm blue sport on the 16th for June delivery and I just got an email to say it is coming tomorrow. I'm really surprised it is coming early for my birthday next week.

Hope you have a nice birthday and enjoy your watch.
  • Options
    calico_piecalico_pie Posts: 10,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    clonmult wrote: »
    I've got the fitbit charge HR, same materials. No problems with skin irritation. The slightest problem with anything these days and its turned into scandal, epic failure, randomrubbish-gate.

Exactly this.

Coupled with the fact that you only have to say as much and people are all over you for being a brainwashed fanboy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Those are some pessimistic delivery estimates. Anyway, come back and share your impressions.
  • Options
    jonmorrisjonmorris Posts: 21,774
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had a play with one last night at a Three event (a guy from a national newspaper who has had his for 3 weeks now) and even he was still having trouble fully understanding every aspect of the UI, or explaining how everything worked to a fair few people yet to see one in the flesh.

The UI seems a bit of a mess to me, but the thing itself is gorgeous - no doubt about that.

He was raving about the watch faces (the planet/moon in particular) and being able to send voice responses, and seemed to think sending a heartbeat was a thing. I couldn't quite understand that bit, but two ladies were really excited about it.

The thing that struck me was that here was a journalist who has loved Apple since the first iPhone and generally writes nothing but positive things, who has had the watch for a long time (relatively speaking) and was still struggling to get things to work, pressing the wrong things accidentally, and actually appearing frustrated at times. To me, this is nothing like the Apple experience I'd have expected from any device.

Don't get me wrong; Android Wear is just the same. Far too much of a need to remember the correct processes for everything, and nowhere near as intuitive as using an ordinary smartphone. There's a huge learning curve, whereas when the iPhone launched it would take only a few minutes for people to learn the basics and be well on their way.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had a play with one last night at a Three event (a guy from a national newspaper who has had his for 3 weeks now) and even he was still having trouble fully understanding every aspect of the UI, or explaining how everything worked to a fair few people yet to see one in the flesh.

The UI seems a bit of a mess to me, but the thing itself is gorgeous - no doubt about that.

He was raving about the watch faces (the planet/moon in particular) and being able to send voice responses, and seemed to think sending a heartbeat was a thing. I couldn't quite understand that bit, but two ladies were really excited about it.

The thing that struck me was that here was a journalist who has loved Apple since the first iPhone and generally writes nothing but positive things, who has had the watch for a long time (relatively speaking) and was still struggling to get things to work, pressing the wrong things accidentally, and actually appearing frustrated at times. To me, this is nothing like the Apple experience I'd have expected from any device.

Don't get me wrong; Android Wear is just the same. Far too much of a need to remember the correct processes for everything, and nowhere near as intuitive as using an ordinary smartphone. There's a huge learning curve, whereas when the iPhone launched it would take only a few minutes for people to learn the basics and be well on their way.

In my 20mins play I would agree with you to a point. Having the crown button/scroll, the push button, force touch and screen scrolling does take a lot of getting use to. I worked out the crown and touch screen fairly quickly, but the other two were a bit of a lottery about what/how you did things. I don't think it would take much playing to get use to it.

Having said that, I've had a mac mini with a touch pad since xmas and still don't know half the gestures on that :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    calico_pie wrote: »
    Exactly this.

Coupled with the fact that you only have to say as much and people are all over you for being a brainwashed fanboy.

Aye .. but you are a brainwashed fanboy ;-) (I jest, in case that wasn't obvious)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think there are many who would disagree with the thing itself being gorgeous; maybe seeing them behind the glass at the Apple store wasn't representative, but I still thought they looked as bland and ugly as when they were first announced.
  • Options
    psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I ordered my 42mm blue sport on the 16th for June delivery and I just got an email to say it is coming tomorrow. I'm really surprised it is coming early for my birthday next week.

It seems many orders for Sports model are being brought forward because they ramped up production. The stainless steel version still lagging behind by the looks of it.

Edit: Happy birthday Welwynrose :)
  • Options
    tdensontdenson Posts: 5,773
    Forum Member

Do you mean you ordered on the 16th April ? I ordered mine on the 10th, one minute after ordering started and am still showing 12th May-26th May. Albeit mine is a black band, but I'm still surprised. - Welwynrose, what colour is yours ?
  • Options
    welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tdenson wrote: »
    Do you mean you ordered on the 16th April ? I ordered mine on the 10th, one minute after ordering started and am still showing 12th May-26th May. Albeit mine is a black band, but I'm still surprised. - Welwynrose, what colour is yours ?

Mine is the 38mm Stainless Steel Case with Milanese Loop
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Meanwhile Asus launches its steel round VivoWatch at £120 and Vector has its watches pre-order from £169
    The Asus has 10 day battery whilst the Vector 30 days. I reckon current ARM CPU tech will let you squeeze 6 months battery into one.

They cost less than a pretty strap, which if the screen has to be off, makes up most of the look.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    welwynrose wrote: »
    Mine is the 38mm Stainless Steel Case with Milanese Loop

I suspect 38mm has been much less popular
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    Meanwhile Asus launches its steel round VivoWatch at £120 and Vector has its watches pre-order from £169
    The Asus has 10 day battery whilst the Vector 30 days. I reckon current ARM CPU tech will let you squeeze 6 months battery into one.

They cost less than a pretty strap, which if the screen has to be off, makes up most of the look.

Maybe you can start a thread about low cost watches by other companies.
  • Options
    anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Dover Street Market Store in London will be stocking 1,000 watches tomorrow.
  • Options
    gregrichardsgregrichards Posts: 4,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes I ordered it on the 16th of April I am really surprised it is coming tomorrow. Apple told me the black sport is the most popular watch though they can't make enough of them. I ordered a black one on April 10th but cancelled my order because I would be very limited in the straps I could use for it.

Hope you all enjoy your watches when they arrive.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes I ordered it on the 16th of April I am really surprised it is coming tomorrow. Apple told me the black sport is the most popular watch though they can't make enough of them. I ordered a black one on April 10th but cancelled my order because I would be very limited in the straps I could use for it.

Hope you all enjoy your watches when they arrive.

Yeah, I read that the space grey Sport model with black strap accounted for around 85% of pre-orders.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yeah, I read that the space grey Sport model with black strap accounted for around 85% of pre-orders.

I'd like to think that that was predictable, and that they manufactured accordingly, but I suspect not.
  • Options
    Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I ordered my silver sports watch with white band at 08.24 on the 10/4. It's been dispatched and will be delivered later on today.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd like to think that that was predictable, and that they manufactured accordingly, but I suspect not.

It's just straps, they could swap them rather than let some unsold watches sit there. And it should not be a surprise to anybody that most men would want a black one.