Home remedies for gallstones/bladder "attack"

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11
Forum Member
I was admitted to hospital on friday after experiencing what was my third attack of severe stomach pain in just over 6 months. Had an ultra-sound scan on Saturday and it was confirmed that I had gallstones and I'm now down to have a Laparoscopic Cholecystectomy (removal of my gallbladder) at some point in the next 6 weeks.

Was discharged yesterday lunchtime, so went home, slept, and didn't have much to eat - but most of it was dairy based - a couple of glasses of milk, cereal, yoghurt, and some benecol. A big mistake - around 9pm started feeling unwell and by 10pm was in the worst pain I have ever experienced. Back to A&E, put on morphine for the pain and underwent several tests.

Thankfully all of the tests came back normal (other than a raised gamma-gt level (liver function test)). But no problem with my pancreas and the pain subsided while in A&E. They left it up to me whether I wanted to be admitted or not, but I just wanted to get home, have a good nights sleep (I didn't sleep while in hospital over friday and saturday night - I'm a really light sleeper so any noise just wakes me up). So was sent home with some codeine to take when required.

So now I've had 4 attacks in total - 3 within the last few weeks. My question is - any advice on home remedies or things that would be good to take just as part of my regular diet that could possibly reduce the chances of a further attack before I have my operation. I've read about apple cider vinegar, taken with pure apple juice - anyone had any benefits from this? I know to avoid high fat foods and of course alcohol, and now will be limiting my dairy intake to skimmed milk in tea. But my question is more aimed towards what foods would be good to eat.

Thank you, and any advice you give will be really appreciated. I'm dreading the thought of going through another attack.

Comments

• allhitradioallhitradio Posts: 125
    Forum Member
    Almost anything is good to eat in your condition, apart from dairy, any high fat food (e.g. cakes, biscuits, pastry), alcohol, and just 'rich' or spicy food.

Blandish soups, salads, bread (minus butter)/dry toast, lean meat like chicken. Pasta with low fat sauces and no cheese. All these would be OK.

One word of advice, if you do have another attack and are offered the chance of being admitted to hospital, for goodness sake take it! Once you're admitted they'll almost certainly try to bring the date of your surgery forward. You needn't wait six weeks, with any luck.

The keyhole surgery procedure to remove the gall bladder is a particularly successful one and you'll experience little discomfort and will feel a whole lot better aterwards.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11
    Forum Member
    Thanks allhitradio.

Will definitely take up your advice about being admitted to hospital as this will bring the date of surgery forward - unless the gailbladder is inflamed, which may delay the chances of the surgery being carried out within a few days. I thought about this last night, but I work for myself (not physical work, work from home, computer-based), so need to get things done work-wise. Plus, like I said in my OP, I just needed a night in my own bed, to be able to get a good night's sleep. Both reasons are probably quite short-sighted of me, but if I do go back to A&E with another attack, I will definitely take your advice in regards to being admitted.

Once again, thanks for your post. I really appreciate it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,210
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I lost count of how many attacks i had... I used to follow a vegan spice-free diet and this really helped - wasnt the most interesting but helped keep attacks at bay.

Also, when you get an attack try taking a warm bath, or using a hot water bottle. If you have a partner or very good friend get them to massage the area of pain too.

I also drank something to try and break stones down: I dont remember exactly but sure it involved olive oil and lemon juice and tasted disgusting. You could try googling it if you feel.brave.
    Forum Member
    Thanks Daisie. Will google the olive oil and lemon juice. Would rather taste something disgusting than go through the pain.

If you don't mind me asking, did you have the surgery to remove your gallbladder? I know the surgery is common and low-risk, and if you have the key-hole surgery can be discharged either the same day or the day after at the latest. If you have had the surgery, how did you feel afterwards?
  • HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Peppermint cordial is soothing for any digestive probs.
  • kookiethekatkookiethekat Posts: 2,867
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Talking from experience, avoid fatty food and dairy. I lived on fish and steamed vegatables when I was waiting to have my gallbladdder removed and lost 4 stone in weight in 3 months.

I did it because I was TERRIFIED of the pain, I hadn't experienced anything like it in my life. Worse than a back to back childbirth
    Forum Member
    Hi Kookie and Hotgossip.

What you say about the pain - it really is unbearable and never experienced anything like it. And like you were, I'm terrified of having another attack. Feel like I'm walking on eggshells whenever I eat or drink anything. I do love dairy (especially milk), but will no avoid it because of what happened last night (and what has been said in reply here to my post). Fish (which I do love) and steamed veg, chicken, rice and dry (brown) bread will pretty much become a staple diet for me - and certainly won't vary from this until at least I've had my operation.

Once again, thanks for your replies everyone. :)
  • warleywitchwarleywitch Posts: 2,541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've had that pain over and over again. It's so severe all I could do was pace the length of the kitchen;back and forth for hours. Eventually I got to go to hopital where you try to tell the child doctors what it is but they have to do the tick list thing and about 3 hours later you get a pain relief jab.
    Since then I had my gall bladder removed. Apparently it was diseased. I got a phial with the stones they found in it too. I don't have any pain any more but I'v ehad to take a daily medicine to mop up the bile which irritates my bowel. Old age isn't for weaklings and wimps. You have to be tough.
    Oh It was keyhole surgery and it was fine.
  • kookiethekatkookiethekat Posts: 2,867
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've had that pain over and over again. It's so severe all I could do was pace the length of the kitchen;back and forth for hours. Eventually I got to go to hopital where you try to tell the child doctors what it is but they have to do the tick list thing and about 3 hours later you get a pain relief jab.
    Since then I had my gall bladder removed. Apparently it was diseased. I got a phial with the stones they found in it too. I don't have any pain any more but I'v ehad to take a daily medicine to mop up the bile which irritates my bowel. Old age isn't for weaklings and wimps. You have to be tough.
    Oh It was keyhole surgery and it was fine.

I am also on medicine daily since my operation :(

Just looked back and you are on the same as me lol, totally forgot about that
  • frisky pythonfrisky python Posts: 9,737
    Forum Member
    DaisieBee wrote: »
    I lost count of how many attacks i had... I used to follow a vegan spice-free diet and this really helped - wasnt the most interesting but helped keep attacks at bay.

Also, when you get an attack try taking a warm bath, or using a hot water bottle. If you have a partner or very good friend get them to massage the area of pain too.

I also drank something to try and break stones down: I dont remember exactly but sure it involved olive oil and lemon juice and tasted disgusting. You could try googling it if you feel.brave.

No no no! Please do not consider this. It can result in stones being lodged in the bile duct and causing all sorts of problems. OP just stick to easily digestible foods.

I had gallstones out when in my early 30s having lived with the buggers for years before. They never showed up on my scans. When I had keyhole to remove them when they finally did show up, I had 42 of them! My twin sister, my older sister and my dad have all had them. I can very much sympathise with the pain OP.

The thing is with the gall bladder is it stores bile and so contracts when you eat as bile is used to breakdown the food you eat. You can reduce the risk of an attack (but it won't be a guarantee) by eating low fat food. I used to eat plain potatoes, grilled white fish, or chicken (no skin!), veg, and then chew and eat slowly giving your system time to digest it.
    http://www.webmd.com/digestive-disorders/features/gallbladder-diet-foods-for-gallbadder-problems
  • Lucy LouLucy Lou Posts: 8,574
    Forum Member
    Hi Kookie and Hotgossip.

What you say about the pain - it really is unbearable and never experienced anything like it. And like you were, I'm terrified of having another attack. Feel like I'm walking on eggshells whenever I eat or drink anything. I do love dairy (especially milk), but will no avoid it because of what happened last night (and what has been said in reply here to my post). Fish (which I do love) and steamed veg, chicken, rice and dry (brown) bread will pretty much become a staple diet for me - and certainly won't vary from this until at least I've had my operation.

Once again, thanks for your replies everyone. :)

I do feel for you Lancas Blue as I remember the pain being excruciating (even more painful than childbirth for me).

Prior to my keyhole op I practically ate fat-free and just like you I felt very apprehensive whenever I ate anything, something which I think did help me was eating some pineapple after each meal (tinned is ok in own juice) the chef at work told me it helps with digestion.

I had to stay in hospital overnight after my op but that was a few years ago now, recently my friend had the same op and was back home the same day.

However do remember to be kind to yourself after the op (I stayed off work for 3 weeks - very physical job) and in retrospect think I should have stayed away for longer.

Hope you have your op sooner rather than later and are soon feeling better.
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the link Frisky python, and also for the tip about chewing and eaeting slowly. Didn't even consider that and I do tend to eat quite quickly, so I'll change that.

Lucy, thank you for your kind words. I'm fortunate in that I work from home - a non-physical job, so my circumstances will allow me to take things easier, both before and after the op. I'm hoping that I don't have to wait too long for the op, and the doctor did ask me if I needed to give plenty of notice in regards to my work. Because he asked that question and because I don't have to give any notice, I'm hoping that that will work in my favour in terms of having the op sooner.

warley and kookie - is the medicine you have to take daily something that you have to do on a permanent basis?
  • spanglerokapispanglerokapi Posts: 523
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had a lapcholey done a few years ago and have never had to take any prescription medicine as a consequence!
  • Lucy LouLucy Lou Posts: 8,574
    Forum Member
    I had a lapcholey done a few years ago and have never had to take any prescription medicine as a consequence!

No I haven't needed any medication either and since the op I have never felt better although for some strange reason I cannot bare the thought of eating fresh cream - which is a good thing regards my waistline :)
  • JoJo4JoJo4 Posts: 38,663
    Forum Member
    OP I sympathise, the pain can be ridiculously unbearable but I think I was fortunate in only having a few severe attacks. I had my gall bladder removed laparoscopically about 10 years ago and have no issues whatever. The surgery was straightforward and I stayed in overnight, left the following morning.

Advice was generally avoid dairy and fatty food, eat little and often rather than bigger meals - also lose weight if you need to! I wasn't overweight by a friend of mine was probably about a stone heavier than necessary - many of her symptoms disappeared when she ate less fat and lost weight.

I hope this helps:)
  • quin_the_eskimoquin_the_eskimo Posts: 517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Only thing that helped me was throwing up. I once managed to induce it with Gaviscon liquid but other times just had to sit out the pain until it happened naturally. The surgery has changed my life for the better. I couldn't face one of those attacks again.
  • blossom24blossom24 Posts: 411
    Forum Member
    My husband had several attacks in quick succession , resulting in 3 visits to A&E.

On the 3rd visit (last christmas) they kept him in and operated, keyhole surgery, he has never looked back!

He hasn't needed any medication, however before his operation, when he was on the waiting list for surgery, his doctor prescribed him buscopan. (think I've spelled that correctly)

Whether the prescription one is stronger than the "over the counter" one, I do not know.

I do know that sometimes it did help if he took one as the pain was starting other times it didn't.

Hope this is of some help.
  • MsBehaviourMsBehaviour Posts: 5,532
    Forum Member
    I have a gallstone lodged in my bile duct at the moment, which is being removed via endoscopy method on 27th March. After that has settled without complication I will have my gallbladder removed. I have had several severe 'attacks' and have been hospitalised twice.

As others have said, avoiding fatty foods and dairy helps - as does having pineapple (the hospital told me about this.) I've also learned to avoid bending down or sitting down abruptly as this seems to trigger the most awful cramping pain. The hospital gave me Tramadol for the pain but this has run out and I haven't renewed as I found it caused awful constipation. You may find that you get problems with heartburn/gastric reflux - I found Zantac really works for this.

You have my sympathy - the pain can be horrendous, especially when it starts up in your back too!
    Forum Member
    Only thing that helped me was throwing up. I once managed to induce it with Gaviscon liquid but other times just had to sit out the pain until it happened naturally. The surgery has changed my life for the better. I couldn't face one of those attacks again.

With the attack on friday, I was throwing up quite a lot - just bile - and it did result in instant, but very brief relief. The attack on Sunday however I didn't throw up once. It was the worst attack in terms of pain, but I got to A&E quickly and have to give the hospital credit - I was straight in to see the triage nurse, and then straight into a bed. Around 10 minutes later a cannula was fitted, my blood was taken, and I was given morphine, and the pain then subsided, and then around 30 minutes later was having an x-ray. The pain I felt as a result of that attack only lasted around 1 hour, so while it was the worst one in terms of pain, it was also the shortest attack I've had yet. Arrived in A&E around 11pm, and left just after 1am. Was offered the choice of either tramadol or codeine to take home with me - decided on the latter - and was told that I can take paracetamol with codeine to "double" up on pain relief should another attack happen.

Went shopping yesterday evening - bought fish (skinless), chicken and turkey, various vegetables, strawberries, blueberries, pineapple, whole grain bread, pure apple juice, apple vinegar cyder, and porridge (making it with water instead of milk). Had fish and veg for dinner last night and was fine afterwards. Took a codeine tablet before bed, just in case. This morning I feel ok. Still feel whacked out though, so taking it really easy.

MsBehaviour, I hope your endoscopy goes well and you don't suffer any further attacks while you wait to have it and also your gallbladder removal undertaken.
    Forum Member
    With the attack on friday, I was throwing up quite a lot - just bile - and it did result in instant, but very brief relief. The attack on Sunday however I didn't throw up once. It was the worst attack in terms of pain, but I got to A&E quickly and have to give the hospital credit - I was straight in to see the triage nurse, and then straight into a bed. Around 10 minutes later a cannula was fitted, my blood was taken, and I was given morphine, and the pain then subsided, and then around 30 minutes later was having an x-ray. The pain I felt as a result of that attack only lasted around 1 hour, so while it was the worst one in terms of pain, it was also the shortest attack I've had yet. Arrived in A&E around 11pm, and left just after 1am. Was offered the choice of either tramadol or codeine to take home with me - decided on the latter - and was told that I can take paracetamol with codeine to "double" up on pain relief should another attack happen.

Went shopping yesterday evening - bought fish (skinless), chicken and turkey, various vegetables, strawberries, blueberries, pineapple, whole grain bread, pure apple juice, apple vinegar cyder, and porridge (making it with water instead of milk). Had fish and veg for dinner last night and was fine afterwards. Took a codeine tablet before bed, just in case. This morning I feel ok. Still feel whacked out though, so taking it really easy.

MsBehaviour, I hope your endoscopy goes well and you don't suffer any further attacks while you wait to have it and also your gallbladder removal undertaken.

Sounds as though you're feeling better, but I know what you mean about feeling wiped out, the pain can leave you feeling weak for days. Just a word about pure fruit juice - it affects people differently but pure juice of any flavour used to trigger pain for me - you might be different, just a word of caution!
    Forum Member
    JoJo4 wrote: »
    Sounds as though you're feeling better, but I know what you mean about feeling wiped out, the pain can leave you feeling weak for days. Just a word about pure fruit juice - it affects people differently but pure juice of any flavour used to trigger pain for me - you might be different, just a word of caution!

I bought the pure juice to take with the cyder vinegar should another attack happen - I read a thread on earthclinic yesterday where a lot of people were saying that it helps the pain (something about promoting the flow of bile?). How credible this is I have no idea (I did speak to a woman at the British Liver Trust yesterday who understandably wouldn't endorse it as a home remedy), but I figured I could give it a try should another attack happen.

Won't be drinking the juice as part of my normal diet though, as I'm a bit worried about the high sugar content of pure fruit drinks. I've decided to limit my regular fluid intake to water and the occasional cup of tea (taking it with skimmed milk (which will be my only dairy intake)).
  • quasimoronquasimoron Posts: 20,996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Got bad pain while exercising Thursday night, very pressurised pain on right side, with vomiting. Doc says gall stones and am having ultra sound in 2 days. Very nervous, it seems the exercise moved the stone.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 261
    Forum Member
    you have my sympathy - gallbladder pain is just awful!

i have my gallbladder removed about 6 months ago and it's the best thing i ever did! apart from a bit of bloating i've had absolutely no problems since the op and i feel so much better in myself.

while i was waiting for the op i just tried to stick to a very low fat diet, which helped a little but it was still a bit hit or miss whether something would spark off the pain! i hope you get your op date soon! :)
  • howardlhowardl Posts: 5,120
    Forum Member
    I can't have keyhole if I have mine out.
    Forum Member
    I bought the pure juice to take with the cyder vinegar should another attack happen - I read a thread on earthclinic yesterday where a lot of people were saying that it helps the pain (something about promoting the flow of bile?). How credible this is I have no idea (I did speak to a woman at the British Liver Trust yesterday who understandably wouldn't endorse it as a home remedy), but I figured I could give it a try should another attack happen.

Won't be drinking the juice as part of my normal diet though, as I'm a bit worried about the high sugar content of pure fruit drinks. I've decided to limit my regular fluid intake to water and the occasional cup of tea (taking it with skimmed milk (which will be my only dairy intake)).

OK - probably sensible! I know that you're tempted to try anything because the pain is so terrible - I'd be interested to see how you get on.

It's worth eating little and often - I sometimes had attacks when I'd gone too long between meals/snacks, and even now I find it good advice!