Advice on hair colouring

Loobs72Loobs72 Posts: 631
Forum Member
✭✭
Recently (at the age of 40) I did my own hair colour at home as I have always gone to a salon before.

I used loreal excellence creme. I have no idea whether it is permanent or semi permanent or even what these terms mean.

Has anyone used this before? How long must I leave in between colouring again?

Any advice gratefully received for this novice :)

Comments

• CrazyLoopCrazyLoop Posts: 31,148
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Semi permanent is best to use as it fades out naturally or something. Whereas permanent fades out patchy. Well I think that's right.

With my hair, it stays in for about 8 weeks or so before my roots start coming through so I dye my hair every 3 months or so, usually more than that though and focus on the roots lol.

If you can, get a shampoo that supports your hair dye and the colour. I use this https://www.halfpriceperfumes.co.uk/en/all-haircare/100440-l-oreal-elvive-shampoo-colour-protect-400ml-3600520433424.html as it protects my hair AND the dye up to 28 washes :)
  • Loobs72Loobs72 Posts: 631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would really like to stick to the one I used as I loved the colour and it was easy to apply. I was just worried that because it's permanent when I come to use it again can I use it on my whole head of hair?
  • fefsterfefster Posts: 7,388
    Forum Member
    I used to put a permanent colour right through my hair, root to tip, around every 6 weeks. It does you no harm.
  • Glitterbug13Glitterbug13 Posts: 323
    Forum Member
    Permanent means you will get root regrowth of your original colour as you are changing your hair colour to something else. Semi permanent is like a strong toner, it will fade out eventually with washing and you shouldn't get any regrowth.

I do my roots with a permanent colour every 4 weeks but you can go longer depending on the colour difference.
  • PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am currently thinking about using home hair dyes. I have been having my hair highlighted with bleach every 6 months at the hairdressers. The last time I went it cost me £100 and I hate it. She over bleached it and it looks terrible. Its yellow instead of white and she overdid the highlights so I would have been just as well slapping a blonde colour all over.

I also feel that the amount of blonde (yellow) hair makes me look ill and washed out.

I am seriously thinking that I will buy a home kit next time and maybe go a red colour.
  • JJ75JJ75 Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Porcupine wrote: »
    I am currently thinking about using home hair dyes. I have been having my hair highlighted with bleach every 6 months at the hairdressers. The last time I went it cost me £100 and I hate it. She over bleached it and it looks terrible. Its yellow instead of white and she overdid the highlights so I would have been just as well slapping a blonde colour all over.

I also feel that the amount of blonde (yellow) hair makes me look ill and washed out.

I am seriously thinking that I will buy a home kit next time and maybe go a red colour.

Be careful going red over blonde as you will end up orange :o If its an extreme colour change I would go to the hairdressers. I know what you mean about that horrible yellow colour, someone did that to me years ago. Awful.
  • ItsTotesSoFluffItsTotesSoFluff Posts: 2,667
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Porcupine wrote: »

If you wanna get rid of yellow hair tones all you need is a purple shampoo (as purple cancels out yellow). I used to just mix a tiny little bit of violet hair dye with conditioner and put that all over my blonde hair to get rid of them.
  • bornfreebornfree Posts: 16,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Has anyone tried Daniel Field Organic dyes? I use L'Oreal castings but am getting increasing worried about the chemicals that I put on my scalp.
  • Loobs72Loobs72 Posts: 631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    fefster wrote: »
    I used to put a permanent colour right through my hair, root to tip, around every 6 weeks. It does you no harm.

Thank you, that's made me feel better about doing it
  • RhondaRhonda Posts: 248
    Forum Member
    bornfree wrote: »
    Has anyone tried Daniel Field Organic dyes? I use L'Oreal castings but am getting increasing worried about the chemicals that I put on my scalp.

Yes, and I've never had any problem with the usual burning you can get with conventional dyes if you have sensitive skin. Use a good conditioner afterwards.
    You will have to experiment with the colour though, as I don't find, for me at least, that they come up true.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loobs72 wrote: »
    Recently (at the age of 40) I did my own hair colour at home as I have always gone to a salon before.

I used loreal excellence creme. I have no idea whether it is permanent or semi permanent or even what these terms mean.

Has anyone used this before? How long must I leave in between colouring again?

Any advice gratefully received for this novice :)

Loreal Excellence is a permanent dye. You only want to put more dye on when your roots are showing. Some people re-dye as often as 3 weeks. Others wait until 6-8 weeks. It depends on you really.

As for redying, I would recommend following the instructions given for Excellence. So you only do your roots at first and then the rest of your hair towards the end of the total time that you have the dye on your head.

I would recommend doing a strand test before you dye to ensure that the timings given by loreal are working for you. One thing to watch out for is over-colouring the hair which will result in darker ends and lighter roots. It's for this reason that some people will only colour their roots.

Good luck!
  • CrazyLoopCrazyLoop Posts: 31,148
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loobs72 wrote: »
    I would really like to stick to the one I used as I loved the colour and it was easy to apply. I was just worried that because it's permanent when I come to use it again can I use it on my whole head of hair?

You should, I've been using the dye I use since July 2012 or thereabouts. It works for me so I'm good. You can use it on whole of your head :D Whenever I do my roots we focus on the roots first (as they're what show my natural first) and then do the rest of my hair.