The New Theme Tune And Titles

Tiernan_MccarthTiernan_Mccarth Posts: 218
Forum Member
Loved the first episode, has to be my favourite since TEOT. However, the new theme tune is absolutely horrendous. It sounds like someone attempted the theme on a kazoo. In my opinion there hasn't been a good theme since Jan 2010. The 2008-2010 theme built up excitement with its thumping sound however the new one just seems like a parody of its former self.

The titles aren't too bad however the Tardis looks almost cartoon like and I really dislike the time vortex, for some reason they are focusing the TIME vortex on space with all the planets floating around.

As I said I loved the episode and Capaldi could just debunk 9 as my 2nd favourite Doctor. However the titles and theme are one of the first things viewers are met with and they seem a bit cheap and tacky. I prefer Neon Visuals titles if I'm honest.

Comments

• oathyoathy Posts: 32,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loved the first episode, has to be my favourite since TEOT. However, the new theme tune is absolutely horrendous. It sounds like someone attempted the theme on a kazoo. In my opinion there hasn't been a good theme since Jan 2010. The 2008-2010 theme built up excitement with its thumping sound however the new one just seems like a parody of its former self.

The titles aren't too bad however the Tardis looks almost cartoon like and I really dislike the time vortex, for some reason they are focusing the TIME vortex on space with all the planets floating around.

As I said I loved the episode and Capaldi could just debunk 9 as my 2nd favourite Doctor. However the titles and theme are one of the first things viewers are met with and they seem a bit cheap and tacky. I prefer Neon Visuals titles if I'm honest.

Same I think what you have written is fair 100% and on the Neon Visuals they are much better quality
  • ea91ea91 Posts: 2,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Too CGI-looking, especially the first part, but it's good that they're experimenting.
  • jimbo_bobjimbo_bob Posts: 1,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I enjoyed the episode, but haven't taken to the opening credits - they may grow on me though...
  • KidneysKidneys Posts: 15
    Forum Member
    I actually really liked it. Mostly because it is a big departure from the previous ones.

My only complaint really is the planets during the time vortex bit of the animation.

Liking the new theme too.
  • Chris_WaltonChris_Walton Posts: 235
    Forum Member
    it sounds like a cross between the 1986 and 1996 themes (both good in their own right)

I don't particularly like it at the moment however there's a bit where the synth sort of fizzes/flares up at the end which is pretty cool
  • adams66adams66 Posts: 3,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It looks ok, and I think it'll grow on me, but I think the music is way too weedy. No ooomph, no drama.
  • Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Listen to the intro to this... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJ6baspw2sk

Lmao, big ego or what. :D
  • claire2281claire2281 Posts: 17,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The theme was the only part of the episode that was genuinely terrible (despite what others would say)!

The visuals were okay but made me oddly motion sick which wasn't pleasant.
  • performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    While I'm glad the theme has changed, they've still made a mess of it... The tone used for the main melody line is pretty dire.
  • HelboreHelbore Posts: 16,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The theme made me feel mildly uncomfortable...and I liked that. It kinda reminded me of the original theme.

My only complaint was that the credits seems to go by too fast. It needed another ten seconds or so. It just seemed a bit rushed, but I liked both the visuals and the theme.
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    The titles were nice enough. The music though is the worst version ever to accompany the series. It's astoundingly awful.
  • DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the titles are ok, but I think the next ones should make the time vortex look as terrifying as possible, just as the original howl around titles were designed to look terrifying, even if they don't particularly look that way to us now.
    I agree the theme needs extra oomph to it especially the last bit it kind of fades off weirdly, very flat!
  • Face Of JackFace Of Jack Posts: 7,181
    Forum Member
    I thought that the opening titles were amazing! Change from the usual swirly time-vortex or whatever it's supposed to be! We see clocks/time/space and a flash of the Doctor! Brilliant!
    OOF then that awful music!!! I hope they can re-do it soon. (Like they did with Jon Pertwee's theme in Carnival of Monsters!!) IT IS AWFUL!!!

I love Peter and Jenna anyway!!!:)
  • tiggerpoohtiggerpooh Posts: 4,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thought the episode was okay, but I wouldn't go any further than that. The best bit for me, was when Clara entered the Tardis, and saw the Doctor in his new costume.

The titles, I thought, were excellent! Not so sure about the theme, though. Have just downloaded the theme as an mp3, to use on my cell phone as a ringtone.

Anyway, so looking forward to next Saturday. :D Love the Daleks! Cannot get enough of them to be honest.

Have been re-watching every "Nu-Who" Dalek story recently on DVD, cos I knew that the Daleks would be back this series. I also re-watched the three Jon Pertwee Dalek stories too! :cool:

As Steven Moffatt said recently, "You're not the Doctor properly, until you've faced the Daleks!"

:)
  • Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://billyhanshaw.co.uk/doctor-who/

I think some elements of his submission to BBC Wales work better. Like the episode title screen at the end with the purple smoke looks much better than the one used.
  • Tom TitTom Tit Posts: 2,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The impact was lessened for me having seen the original they were based upon. I like them but I wasn't blown away by them. I'm glad Capaldi's face is in them. I'm very traditionally minded when it comes to seeingt he Doctor's face in the title sequence.
  • alienpandaalienpanda Posts: 9,444
    Forum Member
    Joe_Zel wrote: »

Those titles are a million times better and more quality that the actual ones. They should employ neon visual to do them all from now on
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The titles are one of a few issues I've had with DW over the last year and a bit where instead of feeling like a modern homage to a 70/80's Who episode it feels like it is a 70/80's episode.
  • allen_whoallen_who Posts: 2,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know why they keep pratting around with the titles... nothing wrong with the chris ecc era ones.. should have just kept em
  • 2Legit2Quit2Legit2Quit Posts: 4,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I quite like the theme tune as it needed updating but....

Where is the ear piercing WHEEEEEEEEEEE at the very start? :o Getting rid of that is like having the EastEnders theme without the duff duffs. :cry:
  • FiregazerFiregazer Posts: 5,888
    Forum Member
    The editing was rough. There is no smoothness between the scenes and the titles, not like we had in the Gold era. It's gone back to the horrible Movie Maker fade in fade out of the names that we had in Series 7 Part 1 (remember?) and the fact that there's no actual finish to the sequence it just fades out. Horrible, and very rushed. Would like to see something like the Gold era again.
  • Los_TributosLos_Tributos Posts: 2,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've never been too bothered about the recent changes to the theme when many have been vocal about their dislike for them.

However the new version is just terrible and the opening credits was very underwhelming after all the build up.

Add in a terrible story, an irritating Doctor, and the episode was only saved by Matt Smith's appearance.
  • TRT1968TRT1968 Posts: 2,164
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The visuals were OK... a bit busy and clichéd, but the music... dreadful! The worse version ever. Was there a real instrument in there at all? It was so digital it sounded like a 12-bit version.
  • nattoyakinattoyaki Posts: 7,080
    Forum Member
    The theme is the worst ever imo - what on earth?!!

The titles are a bit too cartoony-looking for me. I think the original guy would have done a much better job. Not sure I buy the bit about the BBC team having to redo them so they could be more flexible with them in future, the creator could have surely have given them all the component parts as well as the full edit. More like they didn't want to lose control or look obsolete or inept more like I should think!
  • HappyTruckerHappyTrucker Posts: 534
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Joe_Zel wrote: »

While I agree the guy does have more than his share of brass neck - and isn't well thought of in a lot of places - I actually like that one of his and prefer to it to what we got.