Options

Tottenham Hotspur Supporters Thread (Part 12)

Comments

• Options
    Captain KipperCaptain Kipper Posts: 9,913
    Forum Member
    We've GOT a "whole new defence"

Vorm = GK

Yedlin = RB, Dier = CB, Fazio = CB, Davies = LB

Not good enough tho, that's my point.

Weren't you bothered by Sunday's result? is being thrashed at home becoming so common place that no one cares anymore?
  • Options
    knickerlesscageknickerlesscage Posts: 1,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would hold our midfield more responsible for Sunday to be honest. Which is why I am particularly gutted to see us lose Sandro. Not to mention he seems a top guy, and well liked around the club. I wish him all the best.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not good enough tho, that's my point.

Weren't you bothered by Sunday's result? is being thrashed at home becoming so common place that no one cares anymore?

Considering only Dier has started out of those signings and Davies has made a few appearances as sub, how are we supposed to know if the others are good enough ? Osmosis ?

I'm always bothered when we lose and lose heavily. always. But I'm also realistic enough to know that we're only on game five of a fifty odd game season with a new manager and a new philosophy so things are going to take time and the new signings have to be given ample opportunity to play and find their feet.

IF they turn out to be crap then I'll certainly have no qualms about saying so, but i'm not about to bloody write them off before they've even kicked a ball in the premier league.

Anyway, according to Wiki, we've spent £22.7m this window and brought in £31.4m in fees which represents an £8.7m profit - Levy will be offering Poch his daughter's hand in marriage at that rate :)

Sandro's fee reported at £10m ..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Considering only Dier has started out of those signings and Davies has made a few appearances as sub, how are we supposed to know if the others are good enough ? Osmosis ?

Anyway, according to Wiki, we've spent £22.7m this window and brought in £31.4m in fees which represents an £8.7m profit - Levy will be offering Poch his daughter's hand in marriage at that rate :)

Well fair enough, give them time, but we always give our new players time, every season. lol

But our new players have some improving to do, and quick, you don't get much time in the prem league before the trigger gets pulled. :o

If Poch gets us into the champions league or wins us a trophy he'll have his pick of many Spurs fans daughters. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well fair enough, give them time, but we always give our new players time, every season. lol

But our new players have some improving to do, and quick, you don't get much time in the prem league before the trigger gets pulled. :o

If Poch gets us into the champions league or wins us a trophy he'll have his pick of many Spurs fans daughters. :D

Have you been forward in time or something ?. You seem to have strong opinions on our new players when only two of them have played !!
  • Options
    PeePee Posts: 8,154
    Forum Member
    while I was more than happy for us to stand pat, I have to say the quality gap between us and the best has increased even more now. ah well, it is what it is

i am rather gutted the club didn't take me up on my offer to take Lennon ANYWHERE though
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Have you been forward in time or something ?. You seem to have strong opinions on our new players when only two of them have played !!

Im not a fan of those who we have signed, played or not...I dont think they are going to make us any better than we are.

I hope im hopelessly wrong about them...and I know im quick to judgement, but I've seen this tune played so many times at Spurs.
  • Options
    Knarf44Knarf44 Posts: 4,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The sad fact is we simply don't have the spending power of the Clubs above us and to get the quality of player Captain Kipper is suggesting in our current position would mean selling the equivalent of a Bale every summer and CL football neither of which is an option for us in the forseeable future. You have to remember to factor in a player's salary to his transfer fee, top players demand top salaries. Until we have our new stadium and start generating more income we can't possibly hope to match the salaries being paid by Utd, City, Chelski and probably the Gooners too.

The Players we have brought in while maybe not CL quality are nonetheless upgrades on those they have replaced or supplement. For now I trust Poch to know exactly who he wants in and out and if it takes two more transfer windows to achieve then sobeit.

There is no doubt in my mind that we will be back in for J-Rod and Schneiderlin in January and we'll also be seeking upgrades on Townsend, Lennon, Dembele, Adebayor, Soldado by next summer.

In the meantime Pochettino will need to show us his fabled ability to make players better or at least more consistent. Personally, I think our front players need to work much harder on their movement and the timing of their runs. Adebayor especially needs to stay as central as possible to keep the CBs busy and we need to get more players in and around the box, especially against sides who will defend with 2 banks of 4 as Pool did.
  • Options
    soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bingoman wrote: »
    Is there any chance of A Forward coming in before the Window shuts , I thinking of Bony if not have we shot ourselfs by not getting in another striker:confused:
    According to Bony's agent, Levy did make an attempt but we were not prepared to pay anywhere near the £24m the Swans wanted.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pee wrote: »
    i am rather gutted the club didn't take me up on my offer to take Lennon ANYWHERE though
    Apparently Lennon refused to go to QPR (or Stoke). :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    soulboy77 wrote: »

I think the problem with Lennon will be that he's been at the club for so long, he'll just not want to take a step down. And obviously no disrespect meant to the likes of QPR and Stoke.

I think the one way to ensure he actually wants to move on is to limit his game time. Use him as a sub in the closing stages of games or just not at all. Come January, he may well want to go somewhere else just to get some playing time.

All in all, I'm very happy with the window we've had apart from Sandro leaving. I think that was a mistake, but I suppose it's done now. The Mirror are reporting it's a loan with an option to buy though, so I suppose if that's true, there may be a small chance he'd return.

If you take the £8.7m profit in fees and apply that to the various agents fees, wages, signing bonuses e.t.c.. then I'd say there's a good chance we've finished the window almost dead even financially.
  • Options
    Andy-BAndy-B Posts: 6,800
    Forum Member
    That's two summer transfer windows in which Levy hasn't spent net, at a time when such are tv revenues, and the general state of the clubs finances, we could afford £30-40 million each summer.

It doesn't help us now, but it does go a very long way in shaping the longer term implications of financing the new stadium.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andy-B wrote: »
    That's two summer transfer windows in which Levy hasn't spent net, at a time when such are tv revenues, and the general state of the clubs finances, we could afford £30-40 million each summer.

It doesn't help us now, but it does go a very long way in shaping the longer term implications of financing the new stadium.
    A negative net spend to stay where we are in the table. I suppose in the boadroom that might be seen as success.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd personally be happier taking a punt on a £30-£40m spend when we're in the new stadium. We'd have the increased capacity and revenue to essentially fall back on if things didn't go to plan.

To assemble the squad we've got on what has to be a near zero transfer deficit is pretty bloody amazing.
  • Options
    grauniadgrauniad Posts: 7,957
    Forum Member
    soulboy77 wrote: »

I hear he was on his way to QPR, but was going so fast, forget to look up, then got lost.
  • Options
    The_MothThe_Moth Posts: 7,751
    Forum Member
    I don't get all the love for Sandro. He played a few decent games for us but been injured more than he is fit. Every time he comes back from an injury he looks less and less like the player we signed. I was also concerned that he bought into all this "beast' nonsense and the practical jokes and wild hair etc when he would have been better concentrating on establishing himself as a player.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    grauniad wrote: »
    I hear he was on his way to QPR, but was going so fast, forget to look up, then got lost.

I like that :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'd personally be happier taking a punt on a £30-£40m spend when we're in the new stadium. We'd have the increased capacity and revenue to essentially fall back on if things didn't go to plan.
    We can take almost any punt we want once the stadium is built; being in London with a sports stadium effectively designed around the corporate hospitality market will worth as much as making the group stages of the CL every single year.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The_Moth wrote: »
    I don't get all the love for Sandro. He played a few decent games for us but been injured more than he is fit. Every time he comes back from an injury he looks less and less like the player we signed. I was also concerned that he bought into all this "beast' nonsense and the practical jokes and wild hair etc when he would have been better concentrating on establishing himself as a player.

I hear that. But he is also a young man having the time of his life - from what I understand after he signed last night a white Rolls Royce turned up for him, with a gorgeous pair of 'WAGS' sitting in the back. It was probably a late night back at Beast Mansions ...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I want to go to Beast Mansions !
  • Options
    Forum Member
    :D

I want to live there!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andy-B wrote: »
    :D

I want to live there!

Not before i get there first ! *runs*

*sound of a taxi pulling up, door slamming and screeching off*
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    grauniad wrote: »
    Excellent! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also moved on yesterday was Ivory Coast youngster, Souleymane Coulibaly to Serie B club, Bari. He was at one time touted as an excellent prospect, freely scoring for the U18s but sadly seemed to lose his way.
  • Options
    onelegpegonelegpeg Posts: 716
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://www.thefa.com/news/england/under-21/2014/sep/eric-dier-injury-020914

This doesn't sound good. Hope its nothing serious.
This discussion has been closed.