International Football

124»

Comments

• Options
    Mark.Mark. Posts: 84,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PaulLFC wrote: »
    What will happen for matches behind Sky's red button? Last I watched something on the red button it wasn't HD - do they get round it by providing a "HD" stream for Sky Go?
    It's not a requirement to show matches in HD; it's a requirement for the host broadcaster to shoot them in HD.
  • Options
    Howard_GilpinHoward_Gilpin Posts: 2,217
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shedseven wrote: »
    You may well be right Mark, more on the Premier/Setanta ROI deal here....

http://sport-onthebox.com/2014/08/28/premier-sports-to-air-rep-of-ireland-home-friendlies-until-2018/

That blurb refers to Premier Sports covering major sporting events. I reality, what are these?
  • Options
    PaulLFCPaulLFC Posts: 1,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mark. wrote: »
    It's not a requirement to show matches in HD; it's a requirement for the host broadcaster to shoot them in HD.
    Ah okay, thanks. It's a shame, as HD and the rumoured downgrading of SD channels to show off the benefits of HD has really highlighted how much better it is for watching football (or sport in general) if there's a choice between the two.
  • Options
    The DifferenceThe Difference Posts: 21,085
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That blurb refers to Premier Sports covering major sporting events. I reality, what are these?

They have rights to North American ice hockey's NHL, Australian rugby league's NRL, the US NASCAR motorsport series and 75% of the GAA Gaelic football and hurling matches shown on UK TV. I imagine these would be classed as being their major sporting events, along perhaps to a lesser extent with their coverage of Belgian Jupiler Pro League, Copa Sudamericana and Copa do Brasil football.
  • Options
    singhss1singhss1 Posts: 2,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am looking forward to Sky Sports' coverage of the Euro 2016 qualifiers and I'm pleased they have England highlights back as well. I read somewhere that David Jones and Kate Abdo are going to be presenting from a brand new studio with all the touch screen stuff to help with the match analysis. Main matches on Sky Sports 5, with match choice behind the red button a la Football First/Champions League, with overspill onto SS1 or SS3 by the looks of the initial listings. England highlights 10pm Monday with a full round up of MD1 qualification matches on Wednesday.

So they won't be at the stadium. That cheapens the coverage to be honest. I would prefer them to have separate presenters for each match like Jim White for Scotland. So no more of that?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I also subscribe to Premier Sports, as they show the main UK series of motorsport I am interested in, so them showing ROI friendlies (via Setanta Sports coverage) is a bonus for me as I can watch the ROI/England match next June on that channel instead of suffering ITV's usual nonsense. :)

It won't be in HD though will it.
  • Options
    shedsevenshedseven Posts: 2,618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    singhss1 wrote: »
    So they won't be at the stadium. That cheapens the coverage to be honest. I would prefer them to have separate presenters for each match like Jim White for Scotland. So no more of that?

I think with so many games per matchday, Sky have taken the policy, as with their Champions League coverage, to present from a central studio, viewers can then choose to watch the main match covered by Sky Sports 5, or press the red button and choose a different match to view. I doubt Sky have enough presenters to start jetting people out to Switzerland, Georgia, Germany, Hungary, Andorra etc, far more cost effective to have it presented centrally then just link to the match commentators from London. I wonder if Sky will still use 'Starlight' by Muse as their International Football theme tune?
  • Options
    shedsevenshedseven Posts: 2,618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It won't be in HD though will it.

Premier Sports don't currently broadcast in HD. However, the chance to avoid Chiles, Hoddle, Wright, Dixon, Tyldesley and Townsend is one I am prepared to take, even if it means slumming it in SD.
  • Options
    Mark.Mark. Posts: 84,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jim White hasn't presented Scotland games for ages now.

David Tanner has done all the Scottish football for a while now (Champions' League main games excepted).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Premier Sports don't currently broadcast in HD. However, the chance to avoid Chiles, Hoddle, Wright, Dixon, Tyldesley and Townsend is one I am prepared to take, even if it means slumming it in SD.

Oddly enough, they have HD online and tell you to connect it to your TV via HDMI. I don't know how good it is though.
  • Options
    popeye13popeye13 Posts: 8,573
    Forum Member
    Oddly enough, they have HD online and tell you to connect it to your TV via HDMI. I don't know how good it is though.

Yes, they offer 720p online. http://www.premierplayer.tv/
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    popeye13 wrote: »
    Yes, they offer 720p online. http://www.premierplayer.tv/

I suppose they can't afford to have HD channel on Sky. I'm assuming that costs money?
  • Options
    malcy30malcy30 Posts: 7,175
    Forum Member
    What will happen for matches behind Sky's red button? Last I watched something on the red button it wasn't HD - do they get round it by providing a "HD" stream for Sky Go?

I find Sky Go to be sub SD quality it really is dire. Obviously a deliberate policy by Sky as the HD online steams of BT Sports and MLB at Bat both look fantastic and stand up very well when connected to your TV.
    I suppose they can't afford to have HD channel on Sky. I'm assuming that costs money?

It is probably more the cost of HD transponder space than Sky costs stopping them, but that Setanta have always run their channels at minimum cost and quality.
  • Options
    PaulLFCPaulLFC Posts: 1,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    malcy30 wrote: »
    I find Sky Go to be sub SD quality it really is dire. Obviously a deliberate policy by Sky as the HD online steams of BT Sports and MLB at Bat both look fantastic and stand up very well when connected to your TV.
    I agree. The BT Sport streams look far better than Sky Go even at "maximum" quality. I don't know if there's been a degradation of quality by Sky, or whether they've just been surpassed by BT and other video on demand producers in video quality - when I first tried Sky Go a couple of years ago I thought the quality was great. Maybe it's a bit like the jump from SD to HD - SD looked fine when it was the main option, but HD sport has made SD sport less pleasing to watch (in my opinion).
  • Options
    popeye13popeye13 Posts: 8,573
    Forum Member
    I agree. The BT Sport streams look far better than Sky Go even at "maximum" quality. I don't know if there's been a degradation of quality by Sky, or whether they've just been surpassed by BT and other video on demand producers in video quality - when I first tried Sky Go a couple of years ago I thought the quality was great. Maybe it's a bit like the jump from SD to HD - SD looked fine when it was the main option, but HD sport has made SD sport less pleasing to watch (in my opinion).

BT Sport's online streams are 720pHD whereas Sky's are only 360p but will go to a max of 480p if connecting your device (Laptop, tablet etc) to a TV via HDMI or VGA.
    Still poor in 2014 and says alot that BT come onto the scene and start with 720pHD streams, something Sky have been asked and asked for yet have thus far not delivered.
    But being beaten now by Premier Sports in terms of online HD options i think should be embarrassing for Sky
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Any idea why no one showed Brazil's matches this international week. Usually BT Sport or ESPN shows them?