Tottenham Hotspur Supporters Thread (Part 12)

Comments

• JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    U18's win the Champions Cup. Well done to them :)

https://twitter.com/SpursOfficial/status/508239217588047872/photo/1
  • soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://metro.co.uk/2014/09/07/franco-baldini-facing-tottenham-hotspur-axe-over-losing-danny-welbeck-to-arsenal-4860066/

Baldini in trouble apprarently with Levy for missing out on Welbeck when we were front runners and failing to land any striker in the transfer window. Its a bit difficult when a player opts for your N.London rivals.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If Welbeck wanted Champions League football, it's hardly Baldini's fault I suppose. But then if all he wanted was a permanent deal and Baldini was only trying to get him on loan then maybe I can see why Levy might be annoyed.

It's still all rather stark contrast to when he had the Bale money to spend though - targets were identified and signed within days. Maybe Baldini is only as good as the amount of money he has to spend ?.

On another note, I imagine we'll hear about the club captain this week as well.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ...On another note, I imagine we'll hear about the club captain this week as well.
    Kaboul seems to have temporarily picked up the armband vacated by Daws. Vertonghen would be my choice. Lloris is another candidate but I prefer it to be an outfield player.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    soulboy77 wrote: »
    Kaboul seems to have temporarily picked up the armband vacated by Daws. Vertonghen would be my choice. Lloris is another candidate but I prefer it to be an outfield player.

To be honest, looking at the squad, Vertoghen, Kaboul and Lloris are really the only three candidates I could see as skipper, but unless Kaboul is offered a new deal then I can't see it being him as he's still in the final year of his contract.

Adebayor maybe but it would be a long shot.
  • Andy-BAndy-B Posts: 6,800
    Forum Member
    Fwiw, I wouldn't put hatstand in charge of a clown car.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can imagine Levy is seething still after seeing Welbeck score two goals for England.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    very true. i didn't watch the game but the reports do seem quite favorable as far as he's concerned.

this is what makes soldado's situation perenially frustrating really. if we could figure out how to get him scoring to the level he has been in spain, we wouldn't really need to worry about another striker.

but then i suspect chelsea fans were saying that about torres long before soldado arrived at the lane
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Resolving the stiker situation is probably not going to happen until next Summer now. The Jan transfer window is not renowed for top strikers moving unless they are disaffected with their current club.

Soldado might get some game time in the cups as young Harry Kane is ahead of him in the Premiership now. We can only hope something clicks and he rediscovers his La Liga scoring touch but I suspect he will be offloaded at the end of the season.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i can certainly see him moving on next year as well sadly. we'll be in a bit of bother if Ade decides to go to the ANC next year though as we'll basically only have Soldado and Kane as the two first team strikers so i suppose there could be a possibility we'd look to loan in a backup option or, failing that, give one of the youth team players a chance.
  • kempshottkempshott Posts: 1,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We'll probably have Defoe or Robbie Keane back yet again.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kempshott wrote: »
    We'll probably have Defoe or Robbie Keane back yet again.

Can't see it personally. If Defoe goes anywhere on loan, it'll likely be to QPR. We'd only really need someone to come in and warm the bench as long as Kane and Soldado stay fit so a youth team player may well do just fine.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just seen that Harry Kane has scored again for England U21's. Certainly in some good form at the moment :)
  • PeePee Posts: 8,154
    Forum Member
    Soldado has forgotten more about goalscoring than Danny Welbeck will ever know. Welbeck is the very embodiment of averageness.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pee wrote: »
    Soldado has forgotten more about goalscoring than Danny Welbeck will ever know. Welbeck is the very embodiment of averageness.
    That's the problem with the lack of English players in the Premiership. Even average players can get picked for England if they play for one of the top clubs. For us it's a shame that we can't set out sights a lot higher when going after a striker.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pee wrote: »

Soldado has also currently forgotten how to score ..
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Big update about the stadium plans and it's not good.
    Further to the Secretary of State confirming the Compulsory Purchase Order in respect of the last remaining land to be acquired for the stadium site, the Club can confirm that the landowners, Archway Sheet Metal Works Ltd and the Josif Family have exercised their right to seek to challenge the Secretary of State's decision in the High Court. The challenge proceedings will now commence and we await notification of the earliest possible date for the High Court Hearing.
    Given the lengthy period of time taken to reach the CPO decision in the first place, we should like to advise supporters that it is highly unlikely we shall be able to open the new Stadium at the start of the 2017/2018 season.

The Club has revised its construction programme in order to take the shortest possible time to construct. This now therefore involves the Club moving away from the Lane during construction for a period of one season, to start at the beginning of a season in order to comply with Premier League rules.

http://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/news/new-stadium-update-100914/

So we're most likely looking at a minimum of 5 years before we'd potentially see a new stadium.
  • Andy-BAndy-B Posts: 6,800
    Forum Member
    What betting the Josif Family are goons.

Back in the day this could easily have been a simple 'insurance job', and the family would have been 'helped' on their way already.

#politicalcorrectnessgornmad
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Archway seem to be the main culprits in this taking so long if you read the article - they've been in dispute with the club for seven years apparently.

I guess it's possible we could move in to the new stadium in the 2018/19 Season, but that's still four full seasons away. probably more vital now than ever we keep the management situation stable and keep faith with Poch.
  • TheSlothTheSloth Posts: 18,825
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Won't you guys be homeless for a year as a result?

If so, where to go? If it were Wembley, I'd crank the away support allocation right up.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TheSloth wrote: »
    Won't you guys be homeless for a year as a result?

If so, where to go? If it were Wembley, I'd crank the away support allocation right up.

Yep, within the next 5 years we'll be homeless for one full season. I imagine Levy might try and work something out to move in to the Olympic Stadium before West Ham arrive - either that or a straight ground share even ?
  • TheSlothTheSloth Posts: 18,825
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yep, within the next 5 years we'll be homeless for one full season. I imagine Levy might try and work something out to move in to the Olympic Stadium before West Ham arrive - either that or a straight ground share even ?

Maybe. Isn't there history there though? Not many other viable options, other than Wembley, unless you consider Brighton, MK Dons and the "E" word. It'll be an interesting decision.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There will be a football ground going spare in Upton Park in 2016!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hard to take this seriously ..
    Spurs owner Joe Lewis is ready to sell the club.

Mirror Sport understands the 77-year-old businessman has wanted to cash in on his investment for some time and would now now like a staggering £1billion for the north Londoners

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/tottenham-up-sale-owner-joe-4197493
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Once we have the increased capacity of the new ground and paid for the stadium, then Tottenham Hotspur PLC will worth a whole lot more. Joe could probably get a shed load more for his shares then.
This discussion has been closed.