Options

What's happened to digital spy?

InsanepersonInsaneperson Posts: 1,410
Forum Member
✭✭✭
It's a site I used to frequent often, to let the nerdy side out of me. I've just logged in for the first time for about a month and noticed the remaining broadcast news has disappeared from the front page. It's now all Showbiz. They've also removed all forum links from the news stories. Over the past ten years the site has been transformed from an online technology board to a bad version of heat magazine. I understand they have new owners but why didn't they create a spin-off for the gossip. Do any of the original members still bother to go on this site?

Comments

• Options
    Hobbit FeetHobbit Feet Posts: 18,798
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Things evolve.

I'm sure that the huge new audience is seen as compensation for the oldtimers that are a bit pissed at it all.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,472
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also the ads on here blocked half the posts,its getting really annoying.
  • Options
    555555 Posts: 4,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Celebrities and pop culture are very popular nowadays. As long as you worship 'celebs', and have an Apple product, you are normal. :)
  • Options
    BaffrobesBaffrobes Posts: 3,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember when celebs used to be proper celebs,
    Like Einstein, Vera lynn, Alan Turing & Roscoe Arbuckle.
  • Options
    willow32willow32 Posts: 660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Things evolve.

I'm sure that the huge new audience is seen as compensation for the oldtimers that are a bit pissed at it all.

I don't drink in the morning.
  • Options
    Magic CottageMagic Cottage Posts: 2,698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Baffrobes wrote: »
    Like, Vera lynn, Alan Turing & Roscoe Arbuckle.

Who? :confused:
  • Options
    DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Things evolve.

Im just waiting for the day we evolve past minor celebrity worship. It will happen.
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Who? :confused:

Vera Lynn sings songs

Alan Turing was a computer genius,mathematician and cryptoanalyst whom the government hated as he was gay and forced him to become Snow White and eat the poisoned apple.

"Fatty" Arbuckle had a party in 1921 and some girl got raped and killed. He got the blame and his career was never the same as they banned his films despite being acquitted by Jury.
  • Options
    Richard46Richard46 Posts: 59,834
    Forum Member
    Baffrobes wrote: »
    Like Einstein, Vera lynn, Alan Turing & Roscoe Arbuckle.

When; during his lifetime at least; was the great Alan Turing a celebrity. He was treated as a criminal. Not all changes since then have been bad.
  • Options
    cjsmummycjsmummy Posts: 11,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Im just waiting for the day we evolve past minor celebrity worship. It will happen.
    It ain't gonna happen anytime soon, have you seen the Showbiz forum?:eek::cry:
  • Options
    You_moYou_mo Posts: 11,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They chemically castrated Turing. But anyway, yes this site used to be great for the latest broadcast news. Things change.
  • Options
    ~Twinkle~~Twinkle~ Posts: 8,166
    Forum Member
    555 wrote: »
    Celebrities and pop culture are very popular nowadays. As long as you worship 'celebs', and have an Apple product, you are normal. :)

What? How do you come to that conclusion? Most Mac users that I know most certainly don't worship 'celebs', they have more sense than that and don't follow the crowd unless you're referring to iPhone users?

My point is that Apple Mac and celebrity worship don't necessarily go hand in hand. ;)
  • Options
    Steffi747Steffi747 Posts: 53
    Forum Member
    Mine has actually gone back to how it was before Friday. Any ideas? :confused:
  • Options
    FunctionFunction Posts: 759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

We live in hope.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,455
    Forum Member
    It's a site I used to frequent often, to let the nerdy side out of me. I've just logged in for the first time for about a month and noticed the remaining broadcast news has disappeared from the front page. It's now all Showbiz. They've also removed all forum links from the news stories. Over the past ten years the site has been transformed from an online technology board to a bad version of heat magazine. I understand they have new owners but why didn't they create a spin-off for the gossip. Do any of the original members still bother to go on this site?
    It's been like it for well over a month.

DS has a new audience now.
  • Options
    Keiō LineKeiō Line Posts: 12,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Under the old management there was a step change about six years ago when "showbiz" became the focus. That said, even before then it was pretty clear the way things were heading as showbiz was getting more and more of the lions share of front page. Post change (~six years ago) while tech/media was "always there" it was like the deformed child in the attic, the noise would always be there, and occasional it would escape and run around the front room, until father grabbed it, and mother tied it up with string. Now that father and mother are gone, who is to look after the child? Answer me that!!!!!! 'cause i am dam well not :mad:
  • Options
    lorrylorry Posts: 2,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Steffi747 wrote: »
    Mine has actually gone back to how it was before Friday. Any ideas? :confused:

Try and keep up Steffi!

:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,737
    Forum Member

Not as much as I used to!

SF / Fantasy then Cult was my haunt and now Ive been left without a home :(
  • Options
    mb@2daymb@2day Posts: 10,788
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Probably not but they most likely quit long before it got to this stage.
  • Options
    zoepaulpennyzoepaulpenny Posts: 15,951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    spaintv wrote: »
    Not as much as I used to!

SF / Fantasy then Cult was my haunt and now Ive been left without a home :(

so what FORUMS do you go on then.. if you dont use DS MUCH ??
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,737
    Forum Member
    so what FORUMS do you go on then.. if you dont use DS MUCH ??

I said NOT AS MUCH AS I USED TO no that I don't use DS MUCH. My activity has definitely declined since the changes, mainly cos Cult where I was most active no longer exists.

On DS I mostly visit USTV and Broadcasting if that is a genuine question!
  • Options
    BizBiz Posts: 14,756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Deleted - I was wrong!
  • Options
    DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cjsmummy wrote: »

I dont think ive ever ventured that way :D!!!
  • Options
    AzagothAzagoth Posts: 10,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cjsmummy wrote: »

I don't go in there. You aren't allowed to express your own opinions on the latest zelebrity without some shallow knob reporting you.
  • Options
    ShaiyaShaiya Posts: 3,512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    555 wrote: »

Yeah, we live in a world where we've got to know what Cheryl Cole is up to. Nothing else matters.