Kim Jong Un has executed his uncle

AdsAds Posts: 37,037
Forum Member
http://edition.cnn.com/2013/12/12/world/asia/north-korea-uncle-executed/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

His uncle was only expected to be put under long term house arrest.

Sadly young Kim Jong seems every bit as nasty as his father.

Comments

• bingomanbingoman Posts: 23,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Could it mean that he would go to war with the South or will they implode Dangerous time ahead imo:o
  • Sniffle774Sniffle774 Posts: 20,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's going to make Christmas dinner a little awkward... :D
  • VoynichVoynich Posts: 14,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I take it uncle's extended family wouldn't be sent to a slave camp for life in this particular case.
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,394
    Forum Member
    It's actually difficult to tell what's going on there because the relatively pragmatic (in North Korean terms, that is) Jang Song Thaek has now been executed but military hardliner ex-chief of staff Ri Yong Ho was also dismissed from office in the summer of last year and he has not been seen or heard of since then.

Perhaps it's just a gruesome consolidation of personal power thing and anyone who has accrued significant power and who could be a potential rival, irrespective of faction ideology, is being weeded out.
  • AdsAds Posts: 37,037
    Forum Member
    cant power and who could be a potential rival, irrespective of faction ideology, is being weeded out.

From the outside it looks like that. Anyone who gains any sort of power base is taken out. Sounds like a modern day Game of Thrones!
  • Black SheepBlack Sheep Posts: 15,219
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They don't hang about over there. I don't think his Uncle was particularly popular. It's a pity something couldn't be done about the state of this backward country. Maybe the US and China could get together for some sort of regime change.
  • AdsAds Posts: 37,037
    Forum Member
    Maybe the US and China could get together for some sort of regime change.

China sees North Korea as a key asset in ensuring South Korean and its main ally, the US, are kept from being too powerful in that region.

The Chinese undoubtedly get frustrated by NK's antics, but they still stand strongly behind the regime.
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,394
    Forum Member
    Ads wrote: »
    From the outside it looks like that. Anyone who gains any sort of power base is taken out. Sounds like a modern day Game of Thrones!

This actually reminds me of Stalin's conduct :o. After WWII, the victorious and popular war hero Deputy Supreme Commander Georgy Zhukov was sidelined although he was rehabilitated under Khrushchev.
  • Black SheepBlack Sheep Posts: 15,219
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This actually reminds me of Stalin's conduct :o. After WWII, the victorious and popular war hero Deputy Supreme Commander Georgy Zhukov was sidelined although he was rehabilitated under Khrushchev.

Not just after WW2, Stalin regularly got rid of his rivals in purges of varying degrees. People like Trotsky come to mind and famines in the Ukraine.

N Korea is probably the last of the Stalinist regimes and this kind of action is pretty much expected.

As usual, it's all about power.
  • Jol44Jol44 Posts: 21,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Crazy.
  • Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good to see he doesn't believe in nepotism - well except for his son (when one is produced)
  • Parker45Parker45 Posts: 5,849
    Forum Member
    The country really is just like Orwell's 1984, with everyone afraid to do or say the wrong thing and becoming a non-person. What a terrible place.
  • Auld SnodyAuld Snody Posts: 15,171
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Perhaps it's just a gruesome consolidation of personal power thing and anyone who has accrued significant power and who could be a potential rival, irrespective of faction ideology, is being weeded out.

Sounds like corporate capitalism.
  • glasshalffullglasshalffull Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does that mean Another Un bites the dust?
  • AnnsyreAnnsyre Posts: 109,469
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Does that mean Another Un bites the dust?

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
  • blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was thinking: Imagine if Kim Jong Un was a secret modernizer. He couldn't just introduce changes straight away as there's too many vested interests who would try and bring him down (like when the soviet hardliners tried to lead a coup against Gorbachev). He would first have to consolidate his position with the army and then take out anyone in the party in a position to challenge him. During this time he would have to give the impression that he supported the status quo.

I wonder . . . . . . . .
  • mungobrushmungobrush Posts: 9,332
    Forum Member
    Ads wrote: »

Well it wasn't too different in this country a few hundred years ago (remembering old history lessons)
  • mungobrushmungobrush Posts: 9,332
    Forum Member
    "Mr Chang, who is thought to have mentored his nephew during the leadership transition from Kim Jong-il to his son Kim Jong-un in 2011, was "despicable human scum... worse than a dog", said the agency."

Here's some new insults that Jol can use in his posts.
  • AxtolAxtol Posts: 8,480
    Forum Member
    They don't hang about over there. I don't think his Uncle was particularly popular. It's a pity something couldn't be done about the state of this backward country. Maybe the US and China could get together for some sort of regime change.

Why is it ok for the US to do "regime change" but wrong for anyone to do it to governments that are pro US?
  • trunkstertrunkster Posts: 14,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mungobrush wrote: »
    "Mr Chang, who is thought to have mentored his nephew during the leadership transition from Kim Jong-il to his son Kim Jong-un in 2011, was "despicable human scum... worse than a dog", said the agency."

Here's some new insults that Jol can use in his posts.

:D I would imagine Jol gets most if not all of his inspiration from the KCNA network.
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One thing for sure, 'Dead men don't talk'.
    He supposedly also executed his ex, likely for a similar 'no talk' reason.
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyon_Song-wol

And I quite imagine pretend democracy Russia still has Siberia as a 'human disposal ground'.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some families! Honestly!!!
  • Blockz99Blockz99 Posts: 5,045
    Forum Member
    mungobrush wrote: »
    Well it wasn't too different in this country a few hundred years ago (remembering old history lessons)

Yes they do seem to have a medieval mindset
  • trunkstertrunkster Posts: 14,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Peter_CJ wrote: »

Probably took inspriation from the Miliband brothers
  • TRIPSTRIPS Posts: 3,714
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Peter_CJ wrote: »
    I know. it's ridicules, Few beers down them and all they want to do is fight,, why cant they just enjoy Christmas like the rest of us.