Options

Driving after drinking? How many of us are guilty of this

mintbromintbro Posts: 6,733
Forum Member
Don't drink so much now but back in my party days most Sundays I probably shouldn't of been on the road after drinking the night before

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 237
    Forum Member
    It would depend on if you were still drunk.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It would depend on if you were still drunk.

You can be not drunk but still have alcohol in your system
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 237
    Forum Member
    mintbro wrote: »
    You can be not drunk but still have alcohol in your system

It would depend on if you were over the legal limit at the time you drove.
  • Options
    yellowparkyellowpark Posts: 2,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was drunk once when I was having driving lesson.
  • Options
    Eater SundaeEater Sundae Posts: 10,000
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Never, ever.

I never drive in the same day after any alcohol.

Even when I do drink in the evening, it is never enough, late enough, to still be a problem during the next day, so I'm confident that any alcohol has already cleared my system by the time I drive.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    if you were an alcoholic, you were probably OK
  • Options
    EStaffs90EStaffs90 Posts: 13,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nope, I've never driven whilst drunk. (Although that may be because I don't drive.)
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was compulsory in the 1970s.
  • Options
    tealadytealady Posts: 26,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yellowpark wrote: »
    I was drunk once when I was having driving lesson.
    a paid for one? Either of way the supervising person was also guilty of an offence.
  • Options
    kippehkippeh Posts: 6,655
    Forum Member
    Once or twice when I was younger. Not any more though, I rarely go out or drink anyway. I had a pickup truck for a while, and went camping with some mates in the Lakes, near Hawkshead. Because it was absolutely pouring down, I volunteered to drive to the local pub from the campsite. Needless to say I got drunk, with the intention of leaving the car there till the morning. I changed my mind however when it was still raining at chucking out time, and we all piled into the truck. I ended up bouncing across the campsite totally blotto, taking out tent guy lines, and finished up with the vehicle nose down in a deep ditch. We had to tow it out. Never again.
  • Options
    Bus Stop2012Bus Stop2012 Posts: 5,624
    Forum Member
    barbeler wrote: »

Indeed. I had to have a vodka for my nerves in order to take my driving test.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    tealady wrote: »
    a paid for one? Either of way the supervising person was also guilty of an offence.

I had a lesson where the instructor fell asleep
  • Options
    dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No way. It took me enough attempts to get my licence. No way I'd jeapordise that. Nor could I ever live with myself if I hurt someone as a consequence of drinking and driving. I drink very little, anyway, so it doesn't bother me but if I did, I still couldn't risk it.
  • Options
    MustabusterMustabuster Posts: 5,975
    Forum Member
    I admit I drove drunk once a long time ago. It was the single most stupidest thing I've ever done in my life and I'll never let it happen again.
    My friend and I parked up near a house as there was a party there later. We went into town for a few beers before the party started. The thing was my friend got very very drunk. On the way from town to the party he was so drunk fell over in the middle of the road and just decided to lie there blocking the road. The driver of the next car that came along had to help me pick him up and get him to the side of the road. He was in a right state and begged me to get him home. So I left him, got my car, picked him up and slowly drove him home. I was also very drunk and it was very scary as well as stupid. My vision was blurred and every movement and turn of the wheel was exagerated and hard to judge. It was like driving half asleep and half blind. Thankfully we made it home without incident but it's not something I ever want to repeat.
  • Options
    Kaz159Kaz159 Posts: 11,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    barbeler wrote: »

Indeed
  • Options
    tealadytealady Posts: 26,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mintbro wrote: »
    I had a lesson where the instructor fell asleep
    Alcoholic stupor?
  • Options
    hunter23hunter23 Posts: 3,097
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    used to take gin mixed with grape juice on my driving lessons. instructor never knew
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Had to drive home. Too drunk to walk
  • Options
    Archie DukeArchie Duke Posts: 1,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    EStaffs90 wrote: »
    Nope, I've never driven whilst drunk. (Although that may be because I don't drive.)

Thanks for that, most illuminating.
  • Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I once drove after 5 beers (I was stupid and young) and was pulled over and breathalysed, it only flashed as amber. Very lucky not to have been prosecuted. I would never do it these days though.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,510
    Forum Member
    I know as a non-drinker that the odd time that I have had even just one that it takes a couple of days to go through my system, when youre not used to it its like a poison, so why anybody would think its ok to drive less than 24 hours later !!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 375
    Forum Member
    About 15 years ago I dated a guy who used to drink about 8 beers then drive home. Now he's a policeman.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Not sure if it would be classed as drunk back then but in my younger days I did have 2 or 3 pints then drive home.

Some days at uni consisted of going in, having a breakfast, sitting in the bar for a few pints then driving home.

I wouldn't dream of doing it now. Too much at stake. I guess there was back then but the laws and police have tightened up.

Nowadays if i'm driving then i'm definitely not drinking.