Options

How to get your music played on Radio 1

InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
Forum Member
✭✭✭
It's all about how many hits you get on YouTube and how many Twitter followers you have. Interesting article in the Observer about the Radio 1 playlist committee: http://www.theguardian.com/media/2014/may/25/radio-1-playlist-secrets-uncovered-battle-of-brands

"Only 9% of our playlist is on Capital FM but 50% of their playlist is on Radio 1, because they're basically playing Top 40 hits predominantly," [music policy executive Nigel] Harding says. "That's why it's frustrating when people say commercial radio can do what Radio 1 does, there's little appreciation of the vast amount of music that we play that commercial radio would never ever touch."

Comments

• Options
    jcafcwjcafcw Posts: 11,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The BBC should scrap all playlists and hire knowledgeable DJs who can find and programme good music.
  • Options
    Sid LawSid Law Posts: 4,704
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jcafcw wrote: »
    The BBC should scrap all playlists and hire knowledgeable DJs who can find and programme good music.

They can't do that. They seem to think that they need to provide "entertainment" and battle it out with Capital FM.

Hire some airhead who has been on the telly, that the audience can relate to (?) who knows f*** all about the music they are playing but who can talk sh**e about fu*k all for 20 minutes straight. That is what the audience are looking for................

Or maybe they should think about the fact that they have a fantastic national asset.....an FM station that EVERYONE in the country can receive.....and that is listened to in Shetland, Lewis, NI, the Channel Islands, Cornwall........and London.

Cut the crap, and play music. I don't care how "showbiz" your weekend was, just play me good, new music.
  • Options
    Black CrowBlack Crow Posts: 619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sid Law wrote: »
    They can't do that. They seem to think that they need to provide "entertainment" and battle it out with Capital FM.

Hire some airhead who has been on the telly, that the audience can relate to (?) who knows f*** all about the music they are playing but who can talk sh**e about fu*k all for 20 minutes straight. That is what the audience are looking for................

Or maybe they should think about the fact that they have a fantastic national asset.....an FM station that EVERYONE in the country can receive.....and that is listened to in Shetland, Lewis, NI, the Channel Islands, Cornwall........and London.

Cut the crap, and play music. I don't care how "showbiz" your weekend was, just play me good, new music.

In what way does what you have described in the above rant show that Radio 1 battle it out with Capital? When do you hear 20 minute links on Capital, you'll be lucky to hear 20 minutes of chat in a day on Capital. Mind you - I can't remember the last time I heard a 20 minute link on Radio 1, oh no hang on it was when Moyles was on Breakfast.

I'm also confused by your comment about new music. Surely even if you listen to Radio 1 for only one three hour, you are going to hear more new music than you would on Capital, who by that time are more likely to be back playing the same song that they were playing when you first switched on!
  • Options
    danrichardsdanrichards Posts: 427
    Forum Member
    There needs to be a definition between new BANDS and new MUSIC. Radio 1 plays plenty of the latter but (specifically during daytime) not so much of the former. Quite possibly because there's a contradiction in terms - the station has to appeal to a 15-25 demographic but, in all honesty, how many of the younger end of that audience want to hear a new single by a new artist over a new single by a commercially successful one?

If One Direction release a new single, that IS - unless it's a cover I guess - new music and if it's what their audience figures go up for then obviously they're going to play it! Unfortunately, new bands playing their new singles isn't (unless they're signed and have a pile of cash behind them) going to appeal to the listeners of the station. I'm not saying it shouldn't...just that to a majority, it doesn't.
  • Options
    IcaraaIcaraa Posts: 6,068
    Forum Member
    The article is very interesting and I'm glad it was linked to or I would have missed it.

I think they a right to look at how well a band are doing online to be honest. It's a good measure.

The article reinforces why I listen to Radio 1 as my primary station over Capital (if we are talking national stations), Juice FM is good too. I listen because I want to hear new music, it is vital when you are out and about at work all day, you don't want the repetition of Capital. The way it works for me is if Radio 1 play something I don't like I'll switch to Capital instead and then switch back after a few minutes.
  • Options
    DumdedumdumDumdedumdum Posts: 1,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

So Zane Lowe and Annie Nightingale then. When people grumble about Radio 1 playing the same songs they seem to forget that they have several hours of evening programming that cater to their tastes. The In New Music We Trust and Zane's Hottest Record has introduced me to many new acts.

This is a very interesting site which shows the diversity of songs on different stations.
    http://comparemyradio.com/stations
    Radio 1 is light years ahead of the commercial stations in playing variety of music - 39% different music vs just 3% non-playlist & mainstream from Capital.
  • Options
    InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The article makes a reasonable case for why daytime Radio 1 doesn't do that, because its remit is to serve a young audience who aren't necessarily big music fans.

On the other hand, daytime 6 Music could be greatly improved by having presenters chosen for their taste in music rather than their ability to ramble on amiably at length.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 401
    Forum Member
    BBC Radio 1 does have the Essential Mix where known or obscure DJ's / Mixers can get their... mix broadcast to a wider audiance.
  • Options
    pjexpjex Posts: 9,380
    Forum Member
    Make sure no one over 30 will like the song otherwise Radio 1 won't play, they won't risk attracting older listeners.
  • Options
    carlito_coolcarlito_cool Posts: 290
    Forum Member
    Radio stations have been known to do favours in return for airplay. Radio 1 is no different.

In the build up to One Big Weekend, they ensured their performing artists were given maximum airplay. This isn't wrong by the way, you'd be daft not to ensure this.

1Xtra are happy to include you for airplay if you regularly work with them in cross-promoting events - keep booking their DJs for club nights and see what happens!

Funnily enough, those who cross-promote long enough will have their loyalty pay off and their artist will end up becoming the "BBC Introducing" act for a week on Radio 1 itself!

Capital also do a similar thing in terms of cross-promotion. They're allowed to use the images and endorsements of artists such as Rihanna, Jessie J etc on their TV adverts in return for guaranteed airplay.

Hence why Will.i.am's awful "Feelin' Myself" is still played to death even though it peaked in February. That'll now be phased out in favour of his new track "Birthday".