Options

Expendables 3 Leaked!

Comments

• Options
    EVILSPEAKEVILSPEAK Posts: 980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    After a bit of mooching around it appears the source of the leak came from a thread started in a forum by someone who was clueless as to how to spread it. The thread was originally started on 4chan and has since been deleted, the link below is an archived version.

http://archive.foolz.us/tv/thread/46597289/
  • Options
    Flash525Flash525 Posts: 8,862
    Forum Member
    MrSuper wrote: »
    So anyone who's seen this can they give us a spoiler-free review?
    I've literally just finished watching it.

In my opinion, it's the weakest of the current trilogy, and it's less about the icons and more about passing the torch (at least, that's how it feels). When the first (and second) films came around, it seemed more focused on established actors playing the parts, it doesn't seem to be the case anymore. There are still some big names I'd like to see if they do a 4th one, though I'm not sure of the route they're planning to take now.

The characters portrayed by Jet Li, Schwarzenegger and Harrison Ford could/should be retired now though; I think they've served their purpose, and I don't particularly care to see Bruce Willis in number #4 either (not that he was in #3).

As also stated, there's practically no blood (except for bust lips) or gore in this film compared to the other two, especially the scene in (I think the first one?) where Caesar is just blowing people to pieces with that honking gun. Excellent filming that was.

The highlight of this third installment though, it has to be the performance by Antonio Banderas. He did a brilliant job with the character.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    US films are being ruined by Studios who are obsessed with getting a lower rating.

NC17 horror films being butchered at the cutting room floor so that the movie gets an R rating. Explosive action movies trimming movies to get R or PG 13 though Expendables 3 did start off as a PG 13 so I'm guessing not much was cut from it in the first place.

You cannot market an NC-17 film in the US, it's not like an 18 in the UK, most TV networks won't carry adverts for an NC-17 film, most newspapers won't carry adverts for an NC-17 film, I doubt you'd be able to get billboards or outdoor adverts for an NC-17 film, most multiplex cinemas won't show NC-17 rated films (and if you can't get a multiplex release you may be screwed) and most stores won't carry NC-17 films on DVD and BD (but oddly will carry unrated films, which can be just as bad, if not worse).

You can see why NC-17s are just not financially viable, when they can't be widely advertised, exhibited or sold...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    In the 80s we had movies like Robocop, Rambo, Die Hard, Terminator, Predator, Lethal Weapon, Commando, The Running Man.

Studios didn't seem to have an issue with these all being rated 18 in the UK.

It's a lot harder to get an 18 these days as well, so these many of these hardcore 18 action movie equivalents have been classified a 15, which may cause people like you to overlook them. (There does seem to be a tendency amongst some people to overlook any action movie that isn't an 18...)
  • Options
    DirtyBarrySpeedDirtyBarrySpeed Posts: 1,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm fully aware why NC17 movies aren't really an option in the states I just think it is a shame that horror movies like the Friday the 13th series end up getting severely cut and we never get to see them in their original form.

I feel the R rating in the US is a little messed up, children can watch movies like Robocop and Basic Instinct as long as they are accompanied by an adult, that seems wrong.
  • Options
    Matt35Matt35 Posts: 30,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Haven't even seen 2 yet. Was hoping it would be on sky movies.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm fully aware why NC17 movies aren't really an option in the states I just think it is a shame that horror movies like the Friday the 13th series end up getting severely cut and we never get to see them in their original form.

I feel the R rating in the US is a little messed up, children can watch movies like Robocop and Basic Instinct as long as they are accompanied by an adult, that seems wrong.

Not just that, but the R rating can cover anything from Amadeus (Director's Cut) with some nudity (rated PG in the UK) to a Martin Scorsese documentary with 7 uses of the f word (rated 12 in the UK) to Hostel 2 with a castration scene involving a dog (rated 18 in the UK), so it's effectively useless as a judge of content as well...
  • Options
    Trevor_C7Trevor_C7 Posts: 184
    Forum Member
    Content wise, I'm not sure what you'd have to put in a mainstream film for it to get an NC-17. IIRC, the last NC-17 was A Serbian Tale, and before that, Natural Born Killers, a film which has been on UK TV uncut many times over the years.

I'd say Verhoeven's directors cut of Robocop should've beeen NC-17 for the extra shots of the boardroom shooting, but it was still an R. The US takes a very strange view of a lot of content.

US action films are now so sanitised, many people in their late teens/early 20s will probably never get to see an 18 rated action film at the cinema. There's still the occasional R action movie in the States, but they're getting very few and far between, and even they're relatively child friendly, getting 15s in the UK. I'd have no problem letting a 12 year old watch a film like Olympus Has Fallen.
  • Options
    FinalAnswer?FinalAnswer? Posts: 1,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I actually found it the strongest of the three.

It started off slow, and you knew where the plot was going with the young team, but the last 45 minutes was explosive - even without the blood squibs that should have been there and thoroughly enjoyable.

Snipes and Banderas were great additions but underused, and some of the CGI was very shoddy, but overall I found it pretty enjoyable.
  • Options
    grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    Is 2 worth seeing? I just ordered the Director's Cut of 1 which I havent seen :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Trevor_C7 wrote: »
    Content wise, I'm not sure what you'd have to put in a mainstream film for it to get an NC-17. IIRC, the last NC-17 was A Serbian Tale, and before that, Natural Born Killers, a film which has been on UK TV uncut many times over the years.

Sex, crude sex based humour, sexualised violence, sexual violence and/or a lot of swearing, I think it's reached the point where almost any violence, except stronger sexualised or sexual violence, will be passed at R.

Blue Valentine (passed uncut at 15 in the UK) got an NC-17 for a sex scene, later appealed and got an R. Shame (passed uncut at 18 in the UK) got an NC-17, Fox Searchlight still gave it a wide release though). The head of the MPAA at the time South Park: Bigger, Longer and Uncut was released has said he felt it should have been passed NC-17 and called it one of his biggest regrets. (For reference it was a 15 with minimal complaints in the UK.)
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's a good popcorn action film, does what it says on the tin, no more, no less.
  • Options
    Los_TributosLos_Tributos Posts: 2,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I actually found it the strongest of the three.

It started off slow, and you knew where the plot was going with the young team, but the last 45 minutes was explosive - even without the blood squibs that should have been there and thoroughly enjoyable.

Snipes and Banderas were great additions but underused, and some of the CGI was very shoddy, but overall I found it pretty enjoyable.

Agreed, I think it's the best too. The lack of blood didn't bother me, and didn't make the film any worse, and I'm a big fan of the old school Arnie and Sly films.

It's a shame that one person's carelessness/treachery has killed the franchise.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It's a shame that one person's carelessness/treachery has killed the franchise.

It's not opened yet, we don't know that it's lost a lot of money because of the leak, X-Men: Origins - Wolverine still made a profit on production costs after it was leaked...
  • Options
    zwixxxzwixxx Posts: 10,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    grimtales1 wrote: »
    Is 2 worth seeing? I just ordered the Director's Cut of 1 which I havent seen :)
    After quite liking No1 I found No2 to be painful to watch. Too much in joking. >:(
  • Options
    Trevor_C7Trevor_C7 Posts: 184
    Forum Member
    A few years ago, a grade A copy of Rambo was released on the net a few weeks ahead of the US cinema release. That Millennium Films as well, and both films starring Stallone.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 106
    Forum Member
    its a really good enjoyable movie. the cast is fantastic to get so many names is great to see
    mel gibson brings a quality to the movie and is great as the bad guy
    Antonio Banderas is so funny in this movie he is awesome a real highlight
    harrison ford brings a new dimension to it and the younger guys and girl all add something new
    it starts of a little 80's feeling but then gets better and better then last scenes are great
    very enjoyable movie far better than 1 & 2

i hope people see it in the cinema and they make a number 4 with jackie chan and pierce bronson etc. this is the best one yet they done a good job
    it would be abig shame if aleak ruins it as stallone has done something with this movie that people having been begging for for years. a movie of big names doing what they do best. you dont get that in any other movie.

as for the age thing dont worry about it at all. it really makes no difference. it didn't need any blood and gore it worked just fine without it. its not the type of movie that needs that. its fun action not rambo
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not opened yet, we don't know that it's lost a lot of money because of the leak, X-Men: Origins - Wolverine still made a profit on production costs after it was leaked...

It hasn't opened, but it really has. I follow members of the cast on Facebook, and every time they post something E3 related, it's followed by 90% of responses saying they've already seen it.

Worth remembering that the version of Wolverine leaked was unfinished, with green screen and wires visible.
  • Options
    asyousayasyousay Posts: 38,838
    Forum Member
    I have not seen the first 2 but watched this due to it being online and it's awful , I love some of the old action movies but this is just crap .
  • Options
    zwixxxzwixxx Posts: 10,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What I don't get is I thought the idea of The Expendables was a group of OAPs, long past their prime, doing the only thing they're good at. So having a bunch of younger team members feels all weird. I know there was talk of a female Expendables movie with stars like Linda Hamilton and Sigorney Weaver, but maybe what'll actual happen is something akin to the Sucker Punch group - a bunch of the hot twenty-year-olds killing people left right and center in all manner of bloodless ways.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zwixxx wrote: »
    What I don't get is I thought the idea of The Expendables was a group of OAPs, long past their prime, doing the only thing they're good at. So having a bunch of younger team members feels all weird. I know there was talk of a female Expendables movie with stars like Linda Hamilton and Sigorney Weaver, but maybe what'll actual happen is something akin to the Sucker Punch group - a bunch of the hot twenty-year-olds killing people left right and center in all manner of bloodless ways.

Well *SPOILER ALERT* the young ones get captured, and it's left to the 'oldies' to rescue them, so it still fits in with the franchise theme of 'old dudes can still kick ass'. As I mentioned before, I would've liked to have seen the fourth film with the two generations working together, but this leak has killed that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It hasn't opened, but it really has. I follow members of the cast on Facebook, and every time they post something E3 related, it's followed by 90% of responses saying they've already seen it.

Worth remembering that the version of Wolverine leaked was unfinished, with green screen and wires visible.

That's hardcore fans, chances are many, as fans of the actors and/or franchise will go and see it in the cinema aswell, and there's the casual audience, people with morals, don't completely write it off just yet...
  • Options
    EVILSPEAKEVILSPEAK Posts: 980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was advertised on TV last night and at the end the voiceover bloke said "Only in cinema's". It took me 3 minutes to stop laughing.
  • Options
    JCRJCR Posts: 24,070
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Officially given a 12A without cuts by the bbfc.

http://www.bbfc.co.uk/releases/expendables-3-film
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well *SPOILER ALERT* the young ones get captured, and it's left to the 'oldies' to rescue them, so it still fits in with the franchise theme of 'old dudes can still kick ass'. As I mentioned before, I would've liked to have seen the fourth film with the two generations working together, but this leak has killed that.

Saying "Spoiler Alert" and then typing the actual spoiler anyway is like saying "Watch out for that puddle!" just as the person is knee deep in water :)

This might help ..

http://oi59.tinypic.com/1pfe6h.jpg