Options

Female Doctor?

mrs brownmrs brown Posts: 33
Forum Member
If the next doctor was female who would u want as the actress.

I have a couple of people I would like.

Helen Mirren
Brenda Blethyn
Sheridan Smith
Tamzin Outwhaite
Julie Walters
Judi Dench

Comments

• Options
    tomwozheretomwozhere Posts: 1,081
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Michelle Gomez? :D

Kidding.
  • Options
    LivingDestinyLivingDestiny Posts: 714
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Let's enjoy PC as Twelve for a bit shall we?
  • Options
    Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Catherine Tate?

:blush:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 242
    Forum Member
    oh not this again
  • Options
    Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mrs brown wrote: »
    Helen Mirren
    Brenda Blethyn
    Sheridan Smith
    Tamzin Outwhaite

Julie Walters
    Judi Dench

I can kind of see the thinking in the other four, they're all kind of eccentric and bold in their own way. But SS and TO? What pushed you to pick those, they're kind of odd choices for such a role IMO. :D
  • Options
    FiregazerFiregazer Posts: 5,888
    Forum Member
    No no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No. Doctor is a male character. It would be same as regenerating Rani or River into a man. It's not sexism, timelords are just NOT sexless species. There are male timelords (Doctor, Master...) and female timelords (Rani, River...).
  • Options
    johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    No. Doctor is a male character. It would be same as regenerating Rani or River into a man. It's not sexism, timelords are just NOT sexless species. There are male timelords (Doctor, Master...) and female timelords (Rani, River...).

But nowhere is it written that sex is an unchangeable part of their genetic makeup. It's unclear whether it's any more fixed than being blonde or brunette, tall or short.
  • Options
    Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member

Helen Mirren
    Brenda Blethyn
    Sheridan Smith
    Tamzin Outwhaite
    Julie Walters
    Judi Dench

Would they wear black 10 denier tights?
    Would you have them in dresses like Susanna Reid?
  • Options
    SJ_MentalSJ_Mental Posts: 16,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Helen Mirren
    Brenda Blethyn
    Sheridan Smith
    Tamzin Outwhaite
    Julie Walters
    Judi Dench

Brendan O'Carroll
  • Options
    MidnightFalconMidnightFalcon Posts: 15,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This was old in 1989.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But nowhere is it written that sex is an unchangeable part of their genetic makeup. It's unclear whether it's any more fixed than being blonde or brunette, tall or short.

It is not just physical appearance, it is also part of identity.
  • Options
    doormouse1doormouse1 Posts: 5,431
    Forum Member

This.

I would HATE to see a female Doctor.
    If a female timelord is needed, then re-cast Romana.

As someone else said above, we've only seen one episode of Capaldi as the Doctor. Why are you wishing him away and looking for a replacement? He wasn't THAT bad, surely?
  • Options
    johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    It is not just physical appearance, it is also part of identity.

But is that genetic, or social? And does it apply to Time Lords? I mean, nationality is also a part of personal identity, and the Doctor takes as much joy from being Scottish as from being Northern.
  • Options
    Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It'll come, just like the black one.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But is that genetic, or social? And does it apply to Time Lords? I mean, nationality is also a part of personal identity, and the Doctor takes as much joy from being Scottish as from being Northern.

Doctor is Galliffreyan (nationality) and male. It is his identity. I think it does apply for Time Lords.
  • Options
    Face Of JackFace Of Jack Posts: 7,181
    Forum Member
    He/She will be back soon with a wheelchair - and Black to boot!!! :kitty::kitty:

Can we move on now?
  • Options
    Slarti BartfastSlarti Bartfast Posts: 6,607
    Forum Member
    Kathy Burke
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It'll come, just like the black one.

Yeah this will happen if it doesn't I would be shocked. I actually wanted Idris Elba to be the doctor this time but I suppose he isn't geeky enough. As my girlfriend put it he is buff
  • Options
    David_H_93David_H_93 Posts: 98
    Forum Member
    Oh god sake Peter Capaldi has only just began his era and we are discussing the possibility of the Next Doctor being Female and if the next Doctor is a woman that will be one of the biggest risks in the shows history
  • Options
    TheophileTheophile Posts: 2,947
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I wouldn't care at all since I would stop watching.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Theophile wrote: »
    I wouldn't care at all since I would stop watching.

That is slightly sexist in 21st Century Britain. Women deserve equal roles
  • Options
    TheophileTheophile Posts: 2,947
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That is slightly sexist in 21st Century Britain. Women deserve equal roles

Women can have equal roles. Let them have their role models and heroes. However, they need to stop taking the male ones and making them women. If women want a female Time Lord series, then have one with the Rani, Romana or The Doctor's Daughter (or make a brand new one), but leave The Doctor for us men, please.
  • Options
    Slarti BartfastSlarti Bartfast Posts: 6,607
    Forum Member
    Theophile wrote: »
    Women can have equal roles. Let them have their role models and heroes. However, they need to stop taking the male ones and making them women. If women want a female Time Lord series, then have one with the Rani, Romana or The Doctor's Daughter (or make a brand new one), but leave The Doctor for us men, please.

Are there many examples of that happening?
  • Options
    David WaineDavid Waine Posts: 3,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They certainly do deserve equal roles, but just for the sake of it? The entire ethos of the programme would have to change, and not necessarily for the better. It's a bit like these small theatrical troupes who put on all female versions of Shakespeare. All right, sometimes you get a decent production, but you are always faced with a woman playing a part that was written for a man. Before anybody mentions it, I am aware that the Law in Shakespeare's day forbade women from acting, but the female parts were written so that they could be played by women as, of course, they are now.

I used to stage school plays and sometimes I had to cast a girl in a male role. That was because I never had enough boy volunteers to fill the available parts. Fortunately for me, the girls were happy to comply, but that doesn't mean that they were better in the role than a suitable boy would have been.

No, the Doctor is male and always was. That is not a sexist statement. As others have mentioned, there is nothing to stop them from introducing female time lords, but not as replacements.